JaKarr Sampson Suspended One Game; Patty Mills, Rudy Gay Fined

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 213

JaKarr Sampson Suspended One Game; Patty Mills, Rudy Gay Fined 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:26 pm

Indiana Pacers forward JaKarr Sampson has been suspended one game without pay for headbutting San Antonio Spurs guard Patty Mills, and Mills and Spurs forward Rudy Gay have each been fined for their roles in an on-court altercation, it was announced today by Kiki VanDeWeghe, Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.

The incident began when Sampson and Mills were battling for rebounding position. It continued to the next possession when Mills made contact with Sampson and Sampson shoved Mills. Sampson then furthered the altercation by aggressively confronting and headbutting Mills. Sampson’s actions resulted in a Flagrant Foul 2 and an automatic ejection.

Mills received a technical foul and has been fined $25,000 for his role in the altercation. Gay also received a technical foul and has been fined $20,000 for escalating the incident by shoving Sampson. 

The incident occurred with 9:32 remaining in the fourth quarter of the Spurs’ 109-94 win over the Pacers on April 19.

Sampson will serve his suspension tonight when Indiana faces the Oklahoma City Thunder

Via RealGM Staff Report

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 5,744

Re: JaKarr Sampson Suspended One Game; Patty Mills, Rudy Gay Fined 

Post#2 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:52 pm

I never understood why standing up for yourself and your teammates gets you fined in the NBA. Sends a terrible message to people if you can't stand up to someone attacking you or your teammate. Gay and Mills shouldn't have to pay a dime.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Phreak50
Analyst
And1: 5,674

Post#3 » by Phreak50 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:15 am

What a joke league.

Mills did nothing but set a screen and stood his ground while Samspon head butted him. And Mills receives a fine for that?

Screw this league.
CIN-C-STAR
Analyst
And1: 7,479

Post#4 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:42 am

The Real Dalic wrote:I never understood why standing up for yourself and your teammates gets you fined in the NBA. Sends a terrible message to people if you can't stand up to someone attacking you or your teammate. Gay and Mills shouldn't have to pay a dime.

Watched it with my kids and explained to them exactly why Mills and Gay did nothing wrong, and that I was proud of them as a Spurs fan because that's how you should act on the court -- not instigating or escalating violence, but standing up for yourself and your teammates if someone tries to bully or intimidate you.
Even though it's a small amount it's a disgrace that they were fined for this :crazy:
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Wiretap Discussion