Jarrett Allen Could Sign $100M+ Extension With Cavaliers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jarrett Allen Could Sign $100M+ Extension With Cavaliers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 19, 2021 6:14 pm

The Cleveland Cavaliers are expected to sign Jarrett Allen to a contract extension worth $100 million or more, according to Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. 

Allen is eligible for an extension this offseason and would otherwise become a restricted free agent in 2022.

Allen averaged 13.2 points, 9.9 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.4 blocks in 30.3 minutes over 51 games with the Cavaliers following his trade from the Brooklyn Nets. 

Via Terry Pluto/Cleveland Plain Dealer

TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Re: Jarrett Allen Could Sign $100M+ Extension With Cavaliers 

Post#2 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed May 19, 2021 7:14 pm

Good luck with that
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#3 » by Stone » Wed May 19, 2021 7:46 pm

5 years at $ 100M is a fair price for a Jarrett Allen. He has a fantastic skill set and is still getting better.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,357

Post#4 » by PerfectJab » Wed May 19, 2021 7:53 pm

Stone wrote:5 years at $ 100M is a fair price for a Jarrett Allen. He has a fantastic skill set and is still getting better.

You think so?

I believe he's a center in the wrong generation and although he'll be able to stuff the stats sheet from a traditional centers point of view (high FG% and rebounds) I doubt he'll be an important piece that actually promotes wins. At least not at the championship level.
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Post#5 » by Bologna Smasher » Wed May 19, 2021 8:25 pm

I think the wording is a bit off. Allen is a restricted free agent this off-season, not next. His extension deadline has come and gone.

It's funny seeing this posted on every basketball news website in the past few hours and none of them bothered to fix it. :D
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 19, 2021 9:13 pm

Terry Pluto pulls a number out of his hate and apparently that's what passes for news?
Ballknowledge
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#7 » by Ballknowledge » Wed May 19, 2021 10:06 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
Stone wrote:5 years at $ 100M is a fair price for a Jarrett Allen. He has a fantastic skill set and is still getting better.

You think so?

I believe he's a center in the wrong generation and although he'll be able to stuff the stats sheet from a traditional centers point of view (high FG% and rebounds) I doubt he'll be an important piece that actually promotes wins. At least not at the championship level.

Although a good center isn’t essential in today’s game to win a championship, I have no doubt he could be a positive contributor on a championship team. To me he’s very much in the same mold of Rudy Gobert but a much more mobile perimeter defender. You need to have the right personal around him to support his lack of shooting but with the right PnR parter flanked by shooters he draws a ton of attention as a roll man and lob threat. I think 5 years at 100 million may be a slight overpay but still fair. This is Cleveland we’re talking about after all lol
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#8 » by kuclas » Wed May 19, 2021 10:50 pm

The nets had zero intention of re-signing Allen. To think the harden trade involved any players the nets were gonna to have on their roster next season.

Allen is a lot like Clint capela. He does have some use. Just not 100 million of use. But Cleveland gonna to pay him anyways.
Ballknowledge
Sophomore

Post#9 » by Ballknowledge » Wed May 19, 2021 10:59 pm

kuclas wrote:The nets had zero intention of re-signing Allen. To think the harden trade involved any players the nets were gonna to have on their roster next season.

Allen is a lot like Clint capela. He does have some use. Just not 100 million of use. But Cleveland gonna to pay him anyways.

Capela is making 16-17 mil a year depending on incentives. Allen is 4 years younger, a better free throw shooter and a much more mobile perimeter defender. 20 mil a year, especially while playing in Cleveland, isn’t outrageous
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,660

Post#10 » by PlatinumState » Wed May 19, 2021 11:02 pm

Why would he want to stay in Cleveland? Its career suicide like with Kevin Love
Better to sign with a team that actually has potential for less money.
Ballknowledge
Sophomore

Post#11 » by Ballknowledge » Wed May 19, 2021 11:09 pm

PlatinumState wrote:Why would he want to stay in Cleveland? Its career suicide like with Kevin Love
Better to sign with a team that actually has potential for less money.

He’s a RFA, Cleveland can match any offer he gets. The only way he can get out would be to accept the qualifying offer of one year for 7.7 million. He was a late 1st rd pick coming off a rookie contract. Very unlikely he’ll risk the chance at 100+ mil guaranteed
Theo Ratliff
Pro Prospect
And1: 718

Post#12 » by Theo Ratliff » Wed May 19, 2021 11:13 pm

Garland/Sexton/Allen The next big 3 of the NBA! Destined to win 30 games a year for the next 5 years.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#13 » by D21 » Wed May 19, 2021 11:44 pm

Ballknowledge wrote:
kuclas wrote:The nets had zero intention of re-signing Allen. To think the harden trade involved any players the nets were gonna to have on their roster next season.

Capela is making 16-17 mil a year depending on incentives. Allen is 4 years younger, a better free throw shooter and a much more mobile perimeter defender. 20 mil a year, especially while playing in Cleveland, isn’t outrageous

It would not be outrageous especially because Capela signed this contract years ago, and is worth more.
If for the same price, I take Capela over Allen for sure. He totally changed the something with ATL. I didn't see so much change in CLE with Allen, at least for now
Ballknowledge
Sophomore

Post#14 » by Ballknowledge » Wed May 19, 2021 11:53 pm

D21 wrote:
Ballknowledge wrote:

It would not be outrageous especially because Capela signed this contract years ago, and is worth more.
If for the same price, I take Capela over Allen for sure. He totally changed the something with ATL. I didn't see so much change in CLE with Allen, at least for now

Yeah I definitely see your point. Depends on roster construction and whether you’re trying to win now or in the future for me but I’d agree that Capela adds more value to most teams right now
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,808

Post#15 » by JJ_PR » Thu May 20, 2021 2:19 am

Theo Ratliff wrote:Garland/Sexton/Allen The next big 3 of the NBA! Destined to win 30 games a year for the next 5 years.

Trust me, with the addition of Okoro & another top 5 pick in this loaded class, we're much better than a 30 win team. We were hampered by injuries this year & Allen was acquired mid-season. With a full training camp under their belts & more chemistry as they play together, this team will surprise.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#16 » by nedleeds » Thu May 20, 2021 2:35 pm

Jarrett Allen's agent types an email should be the headline. $100M for bootleg Clint Capela sounds like a winning plan.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#17 » by Harper4Ferry? » Thu May 20, 2021 5:35 pm

I could live with 5 years at that amount. 4 years would be a bit rich for my blood.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#18 » by MegaK » Thu May 20, 2021 5:45 pm

JJ_PR wrote:
Theo Ratliff wrote:Garland/Sexton/Allen The next big 3 of the NBA! Destined to win 30 games a year for the next 5 years.

Trust me, with the addition of Okoro & another top 5 pick in this loaded class, we're much better than a 30 win team. We were hampered by injuries this year & Allen was acquired mid-season. With a full training camp under their belts & more chemistry as they play together, this team will surprise.

hhhaaaaahahahahahahahahahhahahhhaaaaahahahahhaha.....................hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.
I mean LOL. Bro.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#19 » by Stillwater » Thu May 20, 2021 7:33 pm

I would not be surprised if someone else offered him that much either so sure if they want to keep him and he won't take a little less why not. He is not even in his prime yet and will only get better.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Thu May 20, 2021 7:38 pm

dont forget about Okoro Windler Kabengele Hartenstein a top 10 pick and OG himself Dean Wade.
Yeah they will maybe have 35 wins next season and push for a play in run, they are getting better if they can stay healthy it is not that far fetched.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to Wiretap Discussion