Mavericks Confident Of Odds To Re-Sign Tim Hardaway Jr.

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mavericks Confident Of Odds To Re-Sign Tim Hardaway Jr. 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 27, 2021 7:18 pm

The Dallas Mavericks have confidence in their ability to re-sign Tim Hardaway Jr. during his free agency this offseason, sources tell Marc Stein of the New York Times.

Hardaway averaged 24.5 points during the Mavericks' pair of road wins at the Los Angeles Clippers.

Hardaway averaged 16.6 points, 3.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists in 28.4 minutes per game this season for the Mavericks.

The New York Knicks signed Hardaway to a four-year, $71 million deal during the 2017 offseason and he was subsequently traded to the Mavericks in 2019 as part of the Kristaps Porzingis deal.

Via Marc Stein/New York Times

preldzic
Junior
And1: 345

Re: Mavericks Confident Of Odds To Re-Sign Tim Hardaway Jr. 

Post#2 » by preldzic » Thu May 27, 2021 10:26 pm

Mavs tend to re-sign their own players to contracts slightly above market value. Powell, Kleber, DFS, Porzingis. The problem with this approach is that they will continue to be lacking the second star next to Luka.
THJ is a fine player, he was great in the first two playoff games, this season he was their 2nd best players on as many nights as Brunson or Kristaps, but keeping both THJ and Porzingis next season can only lead to continuous mediocrity.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,625

Post#3 » by Swish1906 » Thu May 27, 2021 11:04 pm

Lol... Kleber at 4/32 and DFS at 3/12 are bargains and not above market value.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#4 » by TimeisIllmatic » Fri May 28, 2021 2:44 am

Swish1906 wrote:Lol... Kleber at 4/32 and DFS at 3/12 are bargains and not above market value.

Yeah IDK what that dude is talkin' about lol. Dallas is in good shape salary cap wise IMO.
megalison
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#5 » by megalison » Fri May 28, 2021 3:29 am

preldzic wrote:Mavs tend to re-sign their own players to contracts slightly above market value. Powell, Kleber, DFS, Porzingis. The problem with this approach is that they will continue to be lacking the second star next to Luka.
THJ is a fine player, he was great in the first two playoff games, this season he was their 2nd best players on as many nights as Brunson or Kristaps, but keeping both THJ and Porzingis next season can only lead to continuous mediocrity.

Of the four you listed, only KP is overpaid lol.

Having said that, not a fan of THJ at all. His skillset is probably the easiest to find in the league. Even if he's a bit better than the average gunner, it's unlikely he'll live up to whatever extension he gets.
preldzic
Junior
And1: 345

Post#6 » by preldzic » Fri May 28, 2021 12:54 pm

megalison wrote:
preldzic wrote:Mavs tend to re-sign their own players to contracts slightly above market value. Powell, Kleber, DFS, Porzingis. The problem with this approach is that they will continue to be lacking the second star next to Luka.

Having said that, not a fan of THJ at all. His skillset is probably the easiest to find in the league. Even if he's a bit better than the average gunner, it's unlikely he'll live up to whatever extension he gets.

I shouldn't have mentioned DFS together with the other three. I wanted to give him as an example of a re-signed Mavs player but not as an overpaid player. I do think that Powell and Kleber got a bit more than any other team was willing to offer 2 years ago. I also don't see them as starters on a real contender, that's the main issue I have with those two contracts. Kind of the same thing with THJ if they re-sign him.

This is pretty much the worst timing to talk about how mediocre Dallas supporting cast is, now that they are up 2 games against the Clippers, but things can change pretty quickly, unfortunately.
megalison
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#7 » by megalison » Mon May 31, 2021 1:41 am

preldzic wrote:
megalison wrote:

I shouldn't have mentioned DFS together with the other three. I wanted to give him as an example of a re-signed Mavs player but not as an overpaid player. I do think that Powell and Kleber got a bit more than any other team was willing to offer 2 years ago. I also don't see them as starters on a real contender, that's the main issue I have with those two contracts. Kind of the same thing with THJ if they re-sign him.

This is pretty much the worst timing to talk about how mediocre Dallas supporting cast is, now that they are up 2 games against the Clippers, but things can change pretty quickly, unfortunately.

Maybe Kleber is overpaid, but not by very much... His AAV is a tick under $9M. Any less, and you're either drafting (very risky) or picking from the bargain bin, to fill a role that figures to be pretty damn important given how often KP is hurt. With Powell, they just got really unlucky with the ACL tear.

Also, both guys' skillsets compliment Luka/KP very well. Not easy finding bigs who can hit jumpers and play D. As a Raptors fan, it was beyond painful watching Baynes and Len stink it up.

Return to Wiretap Discussion