Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:54 pm

LaMarcus Aldridge had some of his greatest success with the Portland Trail Blazers, but he left the franchise in 2015 to sign with the San Antonio Spurs. In an interview with Shams Charania of The Athletic, Aldridge reflected back on some of the reasons why the partnership with the Blazers didn't work out as well as it could have dating back to when he was drafted in 2006 and his subsequent relationship with Damian Lillard. 

"They say hindsight is 20/20," said Aldridge. "As you get older you get more wiser and you see things more clear. I think as you get older, you have less of an ego, you’re less sensitive. Maybe all those things are true. The only thing I look back on is I wish I would have worked at it better to have a relationship with Dame (Lillard). I feel like we both had our circles talking to us. Maybe that helped stifle our relationship, but we definitely have gotten a better relationship since then. But I think just trying to get a better relationship with him. It’s just tough because people see the career I had, but people don’t realize how I got there.

I was picked No. 2, but (team people) said I was an actual project. So they didn’t pick No. 2 and say, ‘Hey, he’s our guy, we’re going to play behind him.’ I was No. 2, and I didn’t even play much my first year. I missed camp. They jumped behind Brandon Roy. I was the No. 2 pick, which I thought, hey, I’m No. 2, they’re all in. But they weren’t really all in. I was on the back burner. And then we got Greg (Oden). So then when Greg was playing well, I was on the back burner again. And they tried to trade me. So I wasn’t the guy that they believed in right away. That’s why at times things were a little iffy there, because every time we were healthy with Andre Miller and Brandon Roy and Greg Oden, it was like … OK, I was more of the guy that they would put on the back burner or try to trade. And then all those guys got hurt, and I was thrown to the front out of a necessity. That’s when I finally got my opportunity to be who I became. It’s just funny to me how when you’re a No. 2 pick, most of those guys come in … Hey, you’re a part of this and have opportunities. With me, it was like … I was a project and I was like, well, who picks No. 2 as a project? I understand they have Zach Randolph.

So my start wasn’t ideal. I was always the easy one to try to get rid of. Unfortunately, those guys got hurt, and I became the man. And it was like: Oh, man, he’s good. I feel like if they would have gave me the opportunity earlier, we could have been even better earlier. My role wasn’t as easy as everyone might think it was. I had to really go earn this thing of having your own team. I had to go fight for that for a bunch of years. When I got it, it was a proud moment for me.

I just feel like I wish Dame and I would’ve talked more and tried to develop a better relationship. Part of it was he was young, trying to find his way, and I had worked so hard to get to this spot I was at. I wish I would have worked harder … the only regret I have is I wish I would have worked harder to have a relationship with Dame.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Re: 

Post#2 » by RipCityKJ » Tue Jun 1, 2021 10:58 pm

All this guy has done since he left is talk smack about the franchise and how they never believed in him - BS! He was not the victim, yes he was number 2 and we traded up to get him but that doesn't entitle him to instant starter, franchise player or even junk time minutes. The fact is Brandon Roy was the better player and LA was a 1 and done 7 footer who had skill but not the build for the NBA game to be a star player out the door. The blazers also traded Zbo to clear a starting spot for LA but his play at the time was not starting worthy, it wasn't until his 3rd and 4th seasons that he bulked up and developed his deadly inside game and by then the team was in an injury downfall, then we draft Dame and he takes an LA led team from lottery bound to playoff contenders. LA could simply say he was young and still developing and the blazers gave him time instead of throwing him in with the big boys and being outplayed and out of the league before he got a chance like Tyrus Thomas, Adam Morrison, Greg Oden, Hasheem Thabeet, Thomas Robinson, Derrick Williams, Anthony Bennett and Jamal Okafar. The last straw was his retirement letter when he said thanks to Brooklyn for "wanting me for me" - what a slap in the face to both the Blazers and Spurs who bent over backwards to please him and all he did was complain but hey at least he can admit he "had" an ego lol.
Bk68
Sophomore
And1: 10

Re: 

Post#3 » by Bk68 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 11:55 pm

You should have made it sound like you were going to resign, then walk away and the Blazers get nothing. Oh wait.......you did.
There's a reason nobody thinks of you as a cornerstone. Loved your game, but that was shaddy
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Re: 

Post#4 » by HotelVitale » Wed Jun 2, 2021 1:02 am

Eh, not trying to push back on LMA’s own story but by his 2nd year dude was playing 35mpg and scored 18 ppg which was about as many pts per minute as he was going to in his career. I know he had to work etc for everything he’s got but seems like he might be reaching a little for this underdog story.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Re: 

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Wed Jun 2, 2021 2:57 am

A little shock how immature LMA thinks.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: 

Post#6 » by IWishIWasHarden » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:03 am

It was an underachieving career. I saw it coming as soon as he wanted to join a Spurs team that was on the decline. Never made any sense to do that. But even back then I assumed he would leave for greener pastures rather than totally fizzle. What a fizzer of a career!
Theo Ratliff
Pro Prospect
And1: 718

Re: 

Post#7 » by Theo Ratliff » Wed Jun 2, 2021 3:08 am

He was a good player but never great. He also had some playoff series where he looked like Kwame Brown.
geminiz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Re: -- 

Post#8 » by geminiz » Wed Jun 2, 2021 4:55 am

All I read was like some spoiled kid repeatedly complain that he didn't get an instant special treatment cuz he was selected as no. 2. His feeling got hurt cuz he had to prove it like everyone else. Umm ok

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app
the13thjoker
Sophomore
And1: 30

Re: Re: 

Post#9 » by the13thjoker » Wed Jun 2, 2021 5:32 am

kenwood3333 wrote:A little shock how immature LMA thinks.

a bigger shock - he wants a coaching role.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Re: 

Post#10 » by Rashidi » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:01 am

You get the sense that Aldridge thought he was better than he was. He's a 7x All-Star but was never a legit #1. The Joe Johnson tier. They crave the status of being the #1 guy but not of having overwhelming team success. You can't win a title with these players unless they put their ego (and wallets) aside. Chris Bosh doesn't grow on trees.

LMA didn't get along w/ Dame because he viewed him as a threat to his status. He was a guy who needed the ball to be effective, and struggled to stay relevant in his later seasons due to mediocre defense/rebounding/playmaking.

His best shot at winning was 2016 when he joined the Spurs and they won 67 games.
C: Tim Duncan, David West, Boban Marjanovic
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge, Boris Diaw
SF: Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Anderson
SG: Danny Green, Manu Ginobili, Kevin Martin
PG: Tony Parker, Patty Mills, Andre Miller

What an absolutely stacked team (though half these guys were at the end of the line). They lost a 2nd round series that ultimately came down to Kevin Durant being a better scorer & player than LMA. Kawhi got hurt in the Conference Finals the following season, and that was a wrap on the Spurs being contenders.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 636

Re: 

Post#11 » by jefe » Wed Jun 2, 2021 11:39 am

Ah, yes, with time, one gets "more wiser" indeed.

Return to Wiretap Discussion