LeBron James To Switch From No. 23 To No. 6 Next Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

LeBron James To Switch From No. 23 To No. 6 Next Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:46 pm

LeBron James will change his jersey number with the Los Angeles Lakers from No. 23 to No. 6 next season. Anthony Davis is expected to remain No. 3.

James previously wore No. 6 with the Miami Heat. When James first joined the Lakers in 2018, he chose No. 23.

Via Shams Charania, Tim Cato/The Athletic

SparksAC
Junior
And1: 349

Re: LeBron James To Switch From No. 23 To No. 6 Next Season 

Post#2 » by SparksAC » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:15 pm

He's going to the Toronto Raptors for sure.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,185

Post#3 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:02 pm

Nooo! Cause then his Haters will just say he's 2 more 6s away from being the Devil
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#4 » by RipCityKJ » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:20 pm

James "chose number 23" - no MJ chose that number, Lebron just can't do anything original, his whole career he's basically copied MJ or Kobe and it's sadly pathetic.
Warren Mitchell
Freshman
And1: 31

Post#5 » by Warren Mitchell » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:21 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:James "chose number 23" - no MJ chose that number, Lebron just can't do anything original, his whole career he's basically copied MJ or Kobe and it's sadly pathetic.

He's basically better than both too
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#6 » by tigerae » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:54 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:James "chose number 23" - no MJ chose that number, Lebron just can't do anything original, his whole career he's basically copied MJ or Kobe and it's sadly pathetic.
If you really think LeBron copied MJ and Kobe then it shows you really don't know basketball. All 3 are great talents and easily in the top 5 of all time, but that's it in terms of similarities. When it comes to their games, LeBron is his own. The closest player you could say he "copied" would be maybe Magic, but with much more strength and athletic ability and not as much flashy passing.

As for his jersey numbers, he has said in the past that he wore number 23 to pay tribute to MJ and number 6 to pay tribute to Bill Russell. It is just a jersey number. How many players have worn number 10 in sports? Are they all "sadly pathetic" for copying Pele?
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#7 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:41 pm

Gotta keep those jersey sale numbers up! Now everyone will know your #23 jersey is old, or you got it on discount.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,190

Post#8 » by kenwood3333 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:20 pm

LeBron is motiviated to chase 3 more rings to reach 6 before retirement
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#9 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:59 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:LeBron is motiviated to chase 3 more rings to reach 6 before retirement

He only need 2 to reach 6 he has 4 rings and 4 finals MVPs
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#10 » by Am2626 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:09 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
kenwood3333 wrote:LeBron is motiviated to chase 3 more rings to reach 6 before retirement

He’s very fortunate to have 4 rings. He had no business beating the Spurs in 2013. If Rose doesn’t tear his ACL in 2012 there is no guarantee that LeBron even makes the Finals that year. Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in 2016 and the championship that LeBron won in the bubble happened in a season that could have been cancelled. If things don’t work out his way he could be without a championship still. Not likely but a possibility. What I know is he shouldn’t have 4 rings. He will never get to Jordan’s level.
Mob Byers
Rookie
And1: 767

Post#11 » by Mob Byers » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:45 am

Am2626 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

He’s very fortunate to have 4 rings. He had no business beating the Spurs in 2013. If Rose doesn’t tear his ACL in 2012 there is no guarantee that LeBron even makes the Finals that year. Golden State blew a 3-1 lead in 2016 and the championship that LeBron won in the bubble happened in a season that could have been cancelled. If things don’t work out his way he could be without a championship still. Not likely but a possibility. What I know is he shouldn’t have 4 rings. He will never get to Jordan’s level.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#12 » by FreeBoosie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:06 am

Whatever it takes to stay relevant after the disastrous first round exit lol
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#13 » by DimesandKnicks » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:47 am

Mob Byers wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

If I grew a penus on my forehead people would call me ****head
Am2626
Analyst

Post#14 » by Am2626 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:28 am

Warren Mitchell wrote:

I wonder how old you are because he is no where near the same level as Jordan. You should watch the Last Dance if you haven’t. Jordan is bigger to the game of basketball on so many levels that LeBron will never reach.

When things get tough for LeBron he just walks away like a baby. He is one of the most entitled sports figures I’ve ever seen. While he is probably the second greatest to play the game he will never match Jordan. Jordan never lost a Finals being the favored and better team. LeBron has twice. That Finals loss alone to the Mavericks will never allow him to reach Jordan’s level.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#15 » by tigerae » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:49 am

Am2626 wrote:
Warren Mitchell wrote:

I wonder how old you are because he is no where near the same level as Jordan. You should watch the Last Dance if you haven’t. Jordan is bigger to the game of basketball on so many levels that LeBron will never reach.

When things get tough for LeBron he just walks away like a baby. He is one of the most entitled sports figures I’ve ever seen. While he is probably the second greatest to play the game he will never match Jordan. Jordan never lost a Finals being the favored and better team. LeBron has twice. That Finals loss alone to the Mavericks will never allow him to reach Jordan’s level.
The difference between LeBron and MJ are simple imo. Jordan is arguably the best one on one player and scorer, played great defense, but was only a decent rebounder or playmaker at best throughout his career. LeBron is also an amazing one on one player with more strength and the ability to bully people inside. Better fg% and 3pt% in his career. Is a good defender and can be great at times when it matters. Great rebounder and amazing playmaker.

Jordan only won with Pippen and Phil Jackson. LeBron won with a ball dominant guard in Kyrie, DWade and with a forward/center in AD. MJ won with a very similar supporting cast every single time. LeBron had different supporting cast makeups, coaches and systems throughout his career while taking those teams to consecutive finals appearances. Even took a team with the likes of Mo Will and Big Z as his 2nd and 3rd option to the finals. Also took a team when both Kyrie and Love were injured to the Finals, too.

People will say well Jordan is 6 for 6 in the Finals, but without Phil Jackson he wasn't even close to the Finals any other season. Not to mention how his Wizards sucked it up. Same with Kobe. Without Phil, he never made it very far.

To me, both, LeBron and Jordan alongside Kobe, are amazing players and easily in the top 5. I enjoyed being able to watch them play in my lifetime. But, if I were to pick one of those 3 when they were 18 to lead my franchise for the next 15 to 20 years, it would be LeBron. Simply because of his ability to work within any system and make the team a contender every year as long as the team was healthy. Regardless of team make-up or coach or 2nd star. All 3 are amazing, but with MJ and Kobe I would need a Phil or Pop type coach to bring out the best in them to contend. Also I don't know how well they would play alongside a ball dominant type player as their 2nd star like Kyrie.

As for the argument that MJ has 6, Kobe only has 5 and LeBron only had 4. Bill Russell won 11. That's as many as MJ and Kobe combined. If we go based on that, Bill Russell is by far the Goat.
Am2626
Analyst

Post#16 » by Am2626 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:41 pm

tigerae wrote:
Am2626 wrote:
Warren Mitchell wrote:He's basically better than both too

The difference between LeBron and MJ are simple imo. Jordan is arguably the best one on one player and scorer, played great defense, but was only a decent rebounder or playmaker at best throughout his career. LeBron is also an amazing one on one player with more strength and the ability to bully people inside. Better fg% and 3pt% in his career. Is a good defender and can be great at times when it matters. Great rebounder and amazing playmaker.

Jordan only won with Pippen and Phil Jackson. LeBron won with a ball dominant guard in Kyrie, DWade and with a forward/center in AD. MJ won with a very similar supporting cast every single time. LeBron had different supporting cast makeups, coaches and systems throughout his career while taking those teams to consecutive finals appearances. Even took a team with the likes of Mo Will and Big Z as his 2nd and 3rd option to the finals. Also took a team when both Kyrie and Love were injured to the Finals, too.

People will say well Jordan is 6 for 6 in the Finals, but without Phil Jackson he wasn't even close to the Finals any other season. Not to mention how his Wizards sucked it up. Same with Kobe. Without Phil, he never made it very far.

To me, both, LeBron and Jordan alongside Kobe, are amazing players and easily in the top 5. I enjoyed being able to watch them play in my lifetime. But, if I were to pick one of those 3 when they were 18 to lead my franchise for the next 15 to 20 years, it would be LeBron. Simply because of his ability to work within any system and make the team a contender every year as long as the team was healthy. Regardless of team make-up or coach or 2nd star. All 3 are amazing, but with MJ and Kobe I would need a Phil or Pop type coach to bring out the best in them to contend. Also I don't know how well they would play alongside a ball dominant type player as their 2nd star like Kyrie.

As for the argument that MJ has 6, Kobe only has 5 and LeBron only had 4. Bill Russell won 11. That's as many as MJ and Kobe combined. If we go based on that, Bill Russell is by far the Goat.

I really think you are overvaluing Phil Jackson. I think any coach could have led those Bulls teams to championships. Phil didn’t win with the Bulls after Jordan retired for the first time. From an X’s and O’s standpoint Phil Jackson has made a lot of questionable decisions as a coach. His strength was in managing egos which is a great quality to have when you inherit championship level rosters. That is probably why he was very successful with the Bulls and Lakers. However when he lost talent he didn’t do all that great. Think about the post Shaq Kobe teams in the mid 2000’s.

While Jordan won only with Pippen we don’t know if he could have done it with other guys because he never tried. I agree that LeBron is a marvel physical specimen and you can’t grow a better athlete in a lab then LeBron. However winning and success is much more than just your physical strengths. Jordan and even Kobe are both more mentally tougher than LeBron. Case in point are the 2 Finals losses to the Mavericks and the Spurs. You would never see Jordan fold like that at the highest stage when his team was vastly the superior team. Also you would never see him run away from a challenge like LeBron has. When the Heat lost to the Spurs in 2014 he wasted no time leaving and trying to build a new super team in another city. Jordan wanted to do it himself with what was given to him. Another thing I hate about LeBron is his lack of sportsmanship. Case in point was the recent loss to Phoenix. He didn’t have the decency to congratulate the Suns. Just a sore loser. Jordan would never do that. Case in point when he came out of the first retirement and lost to the Magic he spent tine congratulating both Shaq, Penny, and even Horace Grant. He then went to work making sure that they would never beat him again which they never did. It’s that killer instinct and refusal to lose that LeBron is lacking as a competitor.

Also when Jordan went to Washington he was 40 years old and didn’t play in 2 years. If you ask LeBron to retire at 38 and come back 2 years later to play how well do you think he would do? At 36 he is already showing signs of breaking down.

Return to Wiretap Discussion