Blazers Considering Chauncey Billups, Becky Hammon, Mike D'Antoni For Head Coaching Job

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Blazers Considering Chauncey Billups, Becky Hammon, Mike D'Antoni For Head Coaching Job 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:21 pm

The Portland Trail Blazers have identified Becky Hammon and Chauncey Billups as leading candidates for their head coaching job.

Both Billups and Hammon are set for additional meetings with officials of the Blazers in the coming days.

Mike D'Antoni also remains a candidate for the job.

The Blazers are searching for a replacement for Terry Stotts.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Re: Blazers Considering Chauncey Billups, Becky Hammon, Mike D'Antoni For Head Coaching Job 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:26 pm

Billups: Great on-court leader. Minimal coaching experience.
Hammon: Solid WNBA player. Long time assistant under one of the best.
D'Antoni: gets the most out of his players on offense. No players on POR with vision nearing the Nash or Harden level. (Sorry Dame!)

I'm actually OK with any of these hires!
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,626

Re: Blazers Considering Chauncey Billups, Becky Hammon, Mike D'Antoni For Head Coaching Job 

Post#3 » by DimesandKnicks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:09 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:Billups: Great on-court leader. Minimal coaching experience.
D'Antoni: gets the most out of his players on offense. No players on POR with vision nearing the Nash or Harden level. (Sorry Dame!)

I wouldn't constitute six years as being a "long time" assistant. Still interested as to why she's being pushed ahead of several dozen former nba players who've been assistants for longer, or the pool of black coaches.

There are only 7 black coaches in the NBA and three of them are in the conference finals. I'm all for diversity but we're skipping a step.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#4 » by RipCityKJ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 am

DimesandKnicks wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Billups: Great on-court leader. Minimal coaching experience.

I wouldn't constitute six years as being a "long time" assistant. Still interested as to why she's being pushed ahead of several dozen former nba players who've been assistants for longer, or the pool of black coaches.

There are only 7 black coaches in the NBA and three of them are in the conference finals. I'm all for diversity but we're skipping a step.

7 Black coaches but 0 female coaches. Gender aside, her time as an assistant has been under one of the greatest basketball minds of all time and if you can’t get him why not take a chance at his best apprentice? That’s why she’s getting such a push for a head job.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,327

Post#5 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:00 am

DimesandKnicks wrote:

She was considered the Nash of the WNBA and works for one of the most respected organizations in the league. Maybe she isn't skipping steps and her reputation and basketball acumen is just that good? And yes, I'm well aware of how long other assistants have been on the spurs' bench before getting a shot if at all.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by DimesandKnicks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:21 am

RipCityKJ wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

7 Black coaches but 0 female coaches. Gender aside, her time as an assistant has been under one of the greatest basketball minds of all time and if you can’t get him why not take a chance at his best apprentice? That’s why she’s getting such a push for a head job.

Or because she's a high profile woman.

There are other assistants on his staff that have been there for longer. That have started in the video room. That have actually played the NBA game. You have Ime Udoka who served under Pop for 7 years before continueing as an Asst. in Philly and Brooklyn.

Meanwhile Woody hasn't been a head coach since he won 52 games. Now he's a NCAA coach. Patrick Ewing still hasn't gotten a shot. How long have we seen Darwin Ham on an NBA bench as an assistant.

There are 0 female coaches because there are zero female players. 80 percent of the people who've played NBA basketball have been black...but again
..only 7 coaches....3 if which are coaching in their conference finals.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by DimesandKnicks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:24 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

She was considered the Nash of the WNBA and works for one of the most respected organizations in the league. Maybe she isn't skipping steps and her reputation and basketball acumen is just that good? And yes, I'm well aware of how long other assistants have been on the spurs' bench before getting a shot if at all.

Hope its the acumen. Because there are ton of qualified black coaches that can better relate to black players, have been assistance for longer, and have actually played NBA basketball for the better part of a decade before becoming assistance. Like I said, we are skipping steps.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:59 am

DimesandKnicks wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

Hope its the acumen. Because there are ton of qualified black coaches that can better relate to black players, have been assistance for longer, and have actually played NBA basketball for the better part of a decade before becoming assistance. Like I said, we are skipping steps.

I ask this with the utmost respect: Does it really need to be about race or gender? Can't POR just hire the candidate with the best vision on moving forward? As I said to start this mess... those are three good candidates.

Also, I'm not sure why you would assume that the players ability to relate to the coach will be determined by skin color. I mean, that's exactly the problem we are working so hard to overcome.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:06 am

DimesandKnicks wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

The spurs players have spoken very highly of her publicly. Basketball is basketball. She also played in Europe. The real issue black coaches face is the rate at which they get rehired vs white coaches. I think there's a clear difference in the *additional* opportunities they get after they get fired. That said, people love to throw Mark Jackson out as an example of that and nah, he's just bad coach with baggage.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:50 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:people love to throw Mark Jackson out as an example of that and nah, he's just bad coach with baggage.

I would argue that he might be a good coach with baggage. In his only three years as a head coach, the GSW win total jumped significantly each year. (.348/.573/.622) I'd say the reasons he's out are mostly non-basketball.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:59 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:people love to throw Mark Jackson out as an example of that and nah, he's just bad coach with baggage.

I would argue that he might be a good coach with baggage. In his only three years as a head coach, the GSW win total jumped significantly each year. (.348/.573/.622) I'd say the reasons he's out are mostly non-basketball.

I mean I could rephrase: his ability as a basketball coach doesn't outweigh the baggage he brings with him.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by DimesandKnicks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:51 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

I ask this with the utmost respect: Does it really need to be about race or gender? Can't POR just hire the candidate with the best vision on moving forward? As I said to start this mess... those are three good candidates.

Also, I'm not sure why you would assume that the players ability to relate to the coach will be determined by skin color. I mean, that's exactly the problem we are working so hard to overcome.

Yes. In this case absolutely. You don't think its a huge issue that their are only seven black NBA coaches in a league that has been historically black?

Portland can hire the best candidate, but how does her resume read relative to other prospects? WNBA, 7 year assistant, no head coaching experience at all. So is she getting this opportunity based on merit? Maybe. But seven years?

I'm not sure why you wouldn't. There's a reason why there's a call for more black male teachers, police officers etc. and why black students do better at HBCUs. When people have a shared identity, whether whiteness, Asian, trans, etc. they tend to better relate. Blackness is not an exception.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by DimesandKnicks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:06 am

Clyde Frazier wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:

The spurs players have spoken very highly of her publicly. Basketball is basketball. She also played in Europe. The real issue black coaches face is the rate at which they get rehired vs white coaches. I think there's a clear difference in the *additional* opportunities they get after they get fired. That said, people love to throw Mark Jackson out as an example of that and nah, he's just bad coach with baggage.

Alot of NBA players talk glowing about alot of black coaches who've been putting their resumes together for more than seven years. They are not getting the same opportunities as Hammond. Also, I'm sure Spurs players would speak highly about most of their coaching staff...but they aren't asked about them publicly.

The real issue is they don't actually get an opportunity at all, regardless of their resumes. I'm pretty sure more than half the black coaches in the league made the best of being an interim head coach (Tyrone Lue) and the others are just that...interim head coaches (Bernie Bickerstaff).

But a white woman is getting an opportunity to interview for a HEAD COACHING position with seven years experience as an assistant before we hear names like Brian Shaw or Sam Cassel. Its not as of players haven't been speaking on their desire for more black coaches. Make it make sense.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#14 » by arasu » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:31 am

DimesandKnicks wrote:
Clyde Frazier wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

Alot of NBA players talk glowing about alot of black coaches who've been putting their resumes together for more than seven years. They are not getting the same opportunities as Hammond. Also, I'm sure Spurs players would speak highly about most of their coaching staff...but they aren't asked about them publicly.

The real issue is they don't actually get an opportunity at all, regardless of their resumes. I'm pretty sure more than half the black coaches in the league made the best of being an interim head coach (Tyrone Lue) and the others are just that...interim head coaches (Bernie Bickerstaff).

But a white woman is getting an opportunity to interview for a HEAD COACHING position with seven years experience as an assistant before we hear names like Brian Shaw or Sam Cassel. Its not as of players haven't been speaking on their desire for more black coaches. Make it make sense.

Hammon is a PR move. Obviously being the first for anything generates hype and attention. That said, this feels like the year where certain new black coaches make their mark. Billups and Cassel will be head coaches this year, and on good teams that go deep into the playoffs. Times change, and now is a momentous one.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by DimesandKnicks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:34 pm

Minimal coaching experience but played in the NBA for 17 years, 6 under arguable the greatest coach of all time.
akula1488
Bench Warmer
And1: 449

Post#16 » by akula1488 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:42 pm

Becky Hammon just needs 1/1024th of African American heritage to automatically win the job.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#17 » by RipCityKJ » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:47 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:

Minimal coaching experience but played in the NBA for 17 years, 6 under arguable the greatest coach of all time.

He also paid out of court to settle a rape allegation, in Portland that Sh** won't fly, we learned from the Jail Blazers era that character matters. As far as all your trolling over black coaches not getting their chance because they have more experience doesn't mean they fit the future of what the franchise is looking for. Maybe Becky is more of a defensive minded coach and Billups wants to run an offensive set? The blazers have no problems on offense and need to improve on defense, you're not in the room, you don't own the team or run the front office so stop speculating it's all on race. The Blazers had multiple first round interviews including multiple black and female coaches, even a black female coach and in the end the top 2 are a black & a female candidate, I would call that a win for inclusiveness. In the last 21 years the Blazers had a black coach for 2/3 of that time, they had Larry Miller as President of Basketball operations for a decade, they made Rich Cho the first asian GM (Horrible hire, ask Charlotte), they brought back Melo and gave him a chance when nobody else would, the Blazers are one of a few franchises that embraces culture on all fronts.

As for your argument of Hammon only having 7 years as an assistant maybe I should remind you of a few coaches with less experience who got a head coaching job, Let's start with the 4 in the conference finals this year:

Monty Williams started his coaching career with the blazers & was hired as Head Coach for the Pelicans after only 4 years as an assistant.

Ty Lue only 3 years as an assistant before becoming an associate head coach than Head coach a year later

Nate McMillum - 2 years as an assistant before becoming head coach of the Sonics, he had 12 years straight as a head coach including 7 as the Blazers head coach

Mike Budenholzer - 7 years as an assistant under Pop before he coached Atlanta.

Here are some other current and past hires with less than 7 years experiance:

Mark Jackson - 0!!! years as an assistant before the Warriors gave him every opportunity to succeed but he couldn't keep his personal believes to himself.

Steve Kerr - 0!!! years as an assistant before the Warriors gave him a super team that should have been Mark Jackson's.

Brian Shaw - 5 years as an assistant before 2 years as associate head coach than ran the Nuggets into the ground as head coach (It did lead to the pick that got them the Joker so that's something)

Luke Walton - 5 years as an assistant before coaching the Lakers

Jason Kidd - 0!!! years as an assistant but gets a super team as his first head job.

Doc Rivers - 0!!! years as an assistant, 21 years straight as a head coach.

Steve Nash - 0!!! years as an assistant before the Nets gave him a super team.

Juwan Howard - 6 years as an assistant before becoming head coach.

The rest of the current NBA coaches (majority white) have all had a decade or more of coaching experience before they got a chance at head coach.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#18 » by arasu » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:55 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Jason Kidd - 0!!! years as an assistant but gets a super team as his first head job.

Super old and busted team, you mean.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by DimesandKnicks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:25 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

He also paid out of court to settle a rape allegation, in Portland that Sh** won't fly, we learned from the Jail Blazers era that character matters. As far as all your trolling over black coaches not getting their chance because they have more experience doesn't mean they fit the future of what the franchise is looking for. Maybe Becky is more of a defensive minded coach and Billups wants to run an offensive set? The blazers have no problems on offense and need to improve on defense, you're not in the room, you don't own the team or run the front office so stop speculating it's all on race. The Blazers had multiple first round interviews including multiple black and female coaches, even a black female coach and in the end the top 2 are a black & a female candidate, I would call that a win for inclusiveness. In the last 21 years the Blazers had a black coach for 2/3 of that time, they had Larry Miller as President of Basketball operations for a decade, they made Rich Cho the first asian GM (Horrible hire, ask Charlotte), they brought back Melo and gave him a chance when nobody else would, the Blazers are one of a few franchises that embraces culture on all fronts.

As for your argument of Hammon only having 7 years as an assistant maybe I should remind you of a few coaches with less experience who got a head coaching job, Let's start with the 4 in the conference finals this year:

Monty Williams started his coaching career with the blazers & was hired as Head Coach for the Pelicans after only 4 years as an assistant.

Ty Lue only 3 years as an assistant before becoming an associate head coach than Head coach a year later

Nate McMillum - 2 years as an assistant before becoming head coach of the Sonics, he had 12 years straight as a head coach including 7 as the Blazers head coach

Here are some other current and past hires with less than 7 years experiance:

Mark Jackson - 0!!! years as an assistant before the Warriors gave him every opportunity to succeed but he couldn't keep his personal believes to himself.

Steve Kerr - 0!!! years as an assistant before the Warriors gave him a super team that should have been Mark Jackson's.

Brian Shaw - 5 years as an assistant before 2 years as associate head coach than ran the Nuggets into the ground as head coach (It did lead to the pick that got them the Joker so that's something)

The rest of the current NBA coaches (majority white) have all had a decade or more of coaching experience before they got a chance at head coach.

As far as all your trolling over black coaches not getting their chance because they have more experience doesn't mean they fit the future of what the franchise is looking for

Advocating for more black leadership in a league thats 70 percent black, and has been historically black is framed by you as trolling. That's pretty shameful. Again, this is what the PLAYERS have been asking for.

Played in the NBA for 8 years. Coaching staff INTERN with the Spurs and served as Assistant coach by ------> Nate Mcmillian.

10 year NBA career. Only got the job after David Blatt (never coached or played in the NBA) was fired and showed himself competent Head Coach.

12 year NBA Career and joined the coaching staff of the organization he played for for 12 years as an assistant after retiring

Worked in the Video room before serving as assistant under Pop

16 year NBA career.

17 year NBA career playing for two of the greatest coaches of all time. He was also the GM of the Suns before coaching the Warriors.

15 year NBA career one stint with Phil Jackson. And why is seven years an example of not putting in enough work for Brian Shaw but seven years is sufficient for Becky Hammond. And its not as if this is the first year Hammond has been named as a head coaching candidate. Heck in like 2018 she was a candidate for the Bucks GM role.

9 year NBA career, most of which with Phil Jackson. And agin why is 5 years not enough for Luke Walton but fine for Becky Hammond?

18 year NBA career, Champ HOFer, Olympic winner, one of the Greatest PG's of all time. Not a super team.

12 years playing pg in the NBA. Coach of the year his second year as a coach. NBA championship winning coach.

HOF, 2 time MVP Played for Donnie Nelson and Mike Dantoni, didn't deserve the superteam he was gifted with.

Of the Michigan Wolverines? That's a college team. The one he's storied for. Also had an 18 year NBA career and won coach of the year in the Big Ten, but Becky Hammond

74 percent of the NBA is black, 16 percent is white. And I'm trolling :lol:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:29 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:

Yes. In this case absolutely. You don't think its a huge issue that their are only seven black NBA coaches in a league that has been historically black?

Portland can hire the best candidate, but how does her resume read relative to other prospects? WNBA, 7 year assistant, no head coaching experience at all. So is she getting this opportunity based on merit? Maybe. But seven years?

I'm not sure why you wouldn't. There's a reason why there's a call for more black male teachers, police officers etc. and why black students do better at HBCUs. When people have a shared identity, whether whiteness, Asian, trans, etc. they tend to better relate. Blackness is not an exception.

I am a teacher, a musician and a father. This is primarily how I relate to people. This is how people relate to me. The color of my skin does not define me, nor does it inform others of who I am. I am in a bi-racial marriage with bi-racial children. By your definition, do my children belong to both groups or neither group? Where do we fit as a family? You seem to want to split us up. We need to be coming together!!!

Return to Wiretap Discussion