Blazers Considering Chauncey Billups, Becky Hammon, Mike D'Antoni For Head Coaching Job

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,655

Re: Blazers Considering Chauncey Billups, Becky Hammon, Mike D'Antoni For Head Coaching Job 

Post#21 » by DimesandKnicks » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:43 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I ask this with the utmost respect: Does it really need to be about race or gender? Can't POR just hire the candidate with the best vision on moving forward? As I said to start this mess... those are three good candidates.

Also, I'm not sure why you would assume that the players ability to relate to the coach will be determined by skin color. I mean, that's exactly the problem we are working so hard to overcome.

Yes. In this case absolutely. You don't think its a huge issue that their are only seven black NBA coaches in a league that has been historically black?

Portland can hire the best candidate, but how does her resume read relative to other prospects? WNBA, 7 year assistant, no head coaching experience at all. So is she getting this opportunity based on merit? Maybe. But seven years?

Also, I'm not sure why you would assume that the players ability to relate to the coach will be determined by skin color. I mean, that's exactly the problem we are working so hard to overcome.

I'm not sure why you wouldn't. There's a reason why there's a call for more black male teachers, police officers etc. and why black students do better at HBCUs. When people have a shared identity, whether whiteness, Asian, trans, etc. they tend to better relate. Blackness is not an exception.

I am a teacher, a musician and a father. This is primarily how I relate to people. This is how people relate to me. The color of my skin does not define me, nor does it inform others of who I am. I am in a bi-racial marriage with bi-racial children. By your definition, do my children belong to both groups or neither group? Where do we fit as a family? You seem to want to split us up. We need to be coming together!!!

I have no idea what your babbling about and your response doesn't reflect any understanding of my point.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,225

Re: Blazers Considering Chauncey Billups, Becky Hammon, Mike D'Antoni For Head Coaching Job 

Post#22 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:04 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
DimesandKnicks wrote:
Yes. In this case absolutely. You don't think its a huge issue that their are only seven black NBA coaches in a league that has been historically black?

Portland can hire the best candidate, but how does her resume read relative to other prospects? WNBA, 7 year assistant, no head coaching experience at all. So is she getting this opportunity based on merit? Maybe. But seven years?

I'm not sure why you wouldn't. There's a reason why there's a call for more black male teachers, police officers etc. and why black students do better at HBCUs. When people have a shared identity, whether whiteness, Asian, trans, etc. they tend to better relate. Blackness is not an exception.

I am a teacher, a musician and a father. This is primarily how I relate to people. This is how people relate to me. The color of my skin does not define me, nor does it inform others of who I am. I am in a bi-racial marriage with bi-racial children. By your definition, do my children belong to both groups or neither group? Where do we fit as a family? You seem to want to split us up. We need to be coming together!!!

I have no idea what your babbling about and your response doesn't reflect any understanding of my point.

OK, I'll try harder! :D

Return to Wiretap Discussion