Daryl Morey: We've Got A Good Foundation, Everyone Has To Do Better

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Daryl Morey: We've Got A Good Foundation, Everyone Has To Do Better 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:53 pm

Daryl Morey dismissed the narrative that the Philadelphia 76ers have a difficult situation facing them following their elimination in the second round of the playoffs by the Atlanta Hawks.

"A lot of what I'm reading I frankly don't understand," Morey said in an end-of-season virtual news conference Tuesday afternoon. "People [are] saying the Sixers are in a bad situation.

"I don't choose to come here, [coach Doc Rivers] doesn't choose to come here if this is a bad situation. I mean, really 25 or 26 teams in this league would love to be in our situation with an MVP-caliber top player and All-Star, near All-Star, great young players who are signed for the long term, good veterans.

"So, we've got a good foundation. We just have to do better, I have to do better, everyone has to do better."

Morey went out of his way to avoid making any sort of definitive statement either way about the long-term future of Ben Simmons or anyone else currently on Philadelphia's roster.

"We have a very strong group we believe in," Morey said. "None of us can predict the future of what's going to happen in any, in any place. We love what Ben brings, we love what Joel [Embiid] brings, we love what Tobias [Harris] brings; in terms of what's next, we're gonna do what's best for the 76ers to give us the best chance to win the championship with every single player on the roster."

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Re: Daryl Morey: We've Got A Good Foundation, Everyone Has To Do Better 

Post#2 » by DoctorDunc » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:18 pm

Embid is not going to buy into this experiment of a point guard who can’t shoot suddenly becoming a point guard that can shoot. Nice damage control effort before they trade him.
Backcountry
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,588

Post#3 » by Backcountry » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:58 pm

DoctorDunc wrote:Embid is not going to buy into this experiment of a point guard who can’t shoot suddenly becoming a point guard that can shoot. Nice damage control effort before they trade him.

Well, if Morey wants to maximise Ben's trade value, he better continue with the serious tire-pumping before the draft. I think everyone knows that Ben is on the way out. Or at least should be.
When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#4 » by MitchB3 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:17 am

Backcountry wrote:
DoctorDunc wrote:Embid is not going to buy into this experiment of a point guard who can’t shoot suddenly becoming a point guard that can shoot. Nice damage control effort before they trade him.

Well, if Morey wants to maximise Ben's trade value, he better continue with the serious tire-pumping before the draft. I think everyone knows that Ben is on the way out. Or at least should be.

He's just trying to give him more value that's it.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#5 » by MitchB3 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:22 am

Good Foundation? Is he watching a different team? It's over. This Embiid-Simmons thing doesn't work, Simmons doesn't and/or want to shoot (only time he shooting is when he's with Kendall Jenner). If he thinks he's about to commit some high robbery by getting rid of him Morey is smoking crack.

Return to Wiretap Discussion