Celtics To Hire Ime Udoka As Head Coach

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Celtics To Hire Ime Udoka As Head Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:50 pm

The Boston Celtics will hire Ime Udoka as their next head coach.

Boston and Udoka are finalizing an agreement.

Udoka spent this past season as an assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 78

Re: Celtics To Hire Ime Udoka As Head Coach 

Post#2 » by elmdawgg69 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:57 pm

Good hire for cheap
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#3 » by Rashidi » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:16 pm

Great hire, he earned this opportunity
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#4 » by RipCityKJ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:21 pm

Now that my top candidate for the blazers job is gone, it’s time to announce Becky Hammon as the Blazers new head coach.
pagal
Starter
And1: 2,078

Post#5 » by pagal » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:30 pm

lmao - so much for the Chauncey pipedream...I'm sure he told them to take a hike.

I feel bad for Ime, wish he held out for a better opportunity. I'm sure he'll be getting booed and used as a scapegoat in no time - given the history of that city and fanbase.
pagal
Starter

Post#6 » by pagal » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:37 pm

"Udoka is the guy their main guys wanted and Stevens got him before anyone else could."

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
cheezone
Freshman
And1: 70

Post#7 » by cheezone » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:37 pm

pagal wrote:lmao - so much for the Chauncey pipedream...I'm sure he told them to take a hike.

I feel bad for Ime, wish he held out for a better opportunity. I'm sure he'll be getting booed and used as a scapegoat in no time - given the history of that city and fanbase.

WTF are you talking about please explain....if you suck and dont put up you deserve to be booed. whats wrong with all you softies. Ime was my 2nd choice behind Sam I am and am really excited for him to instill some of that dog mentality he brings on D. Plus he has worked with Brown Tatum and Smart on Team USA plus coached Big Al in philly. Pumped for this hire now lets goooooooo
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:01 pm

Gotta figure that Udoka is a much better coaching prospect then Billups. Billups is a big name in a studio who wants to skip all grind work of being an assistant.

Udoka is a top assistant who had learned under some very good coaches. This is an excellent hire.

pagal wrote:lmao - so much for the Chauncey pipedream...I'm sure he told them to take a hike.

AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:02 pm

AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
pagal
Starter

Post#10 » by pagal » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:34 pm

The_Hater wrote:Gotta figure that Udoka is a much better coaching prospect then Billups. Billups is a big name in a studio who wants to skip all grind work of being an assistant.

Udoka is a top assistant who had learned under some very good coaches. This is an excellent hire.

Chauncey is currently an assistant, albeit with less experience. He was on the top of their wish list until now when it was Ime all along, according to their spin machine.
pagal
Starter

Post#11 » by pagal » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:42 pm

cheezone wrote:

WTF are you talking about please explain....if you suck and dont put up you deserve to be booed. whats wrong with all you softies. Ime was my 2nd choice behind Sam I am and am really excited for him to instill some of that dog mentality he brings on D. Plus he has worked with Brown Tatum and Smart on Team USA plus coached Big Al in philly. Pumped for this hire now lets goooooooo

He's not going to get enough of a rope from the fanbase, compared to Brad Stevens.

Let's just say that there's a reason why this organization's search was limited to African-American candidates.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#12 » by captain green » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:28 pm

Cool we got a top 25 coach only problem was that there were literally 24 better options. Not a good start for my Celtics a crap financial trade and a crap hire. For the record I wanted lawson or hammon. Jay will just posted it's the first african american hire for Celtics? We were the first then k.c. then doc that motor cycle accident got his brain permanent damage damn dude.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,922

Post#13 » by SuperDeluxe » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:17 pm

Racism is a product of ignorance. All your comments on this thread are too. Get a clue.
cheezone
Freshman
And1: 70

Post#14 » by cheezone » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:29 am

He's not going to get enough of a rope from the fanbase, compared to Brad Stevens.

Let's just say that there's a reason why this organization's search was limited to African-American candidates.[/quote]

First there were many fans including myself that wanted Brad gone for 2 seasons now. Second Brad got a long leash by Danny and company but Brad established himself as one of the best coaches in the league it wasn't like he sucked. guy had the team in the playoffs and over achieving almost every season.

Your out your dam mind if you think the Celtics were only limited to black coaches come on man I'm a black man and a real Bostonian lived in Roxbury 40 years. The media always over hyping this race **** and folks like you are easily brainwashed keep listening to Steven A and his nonsense. Come to Boston hang out with me don't care what race you are and come enjoy a game with me so you can see for yourself and stop playing into these wackos narrative.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#15 » by Cookin Baskets » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:25 am

Good hire. It's good to see an assistant get a promotion. When the norm in the nba is to recycle old coaches. He also has some good credentials. Boston has to get rid of everyone cept Brown/Tatum imo.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#16 » by njknicks » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:20 am

Great hire, Udoka deserves this opportunity ( as do other great assistant coaches ) -- but not confident in Brad Stevens ability to lead a franchise from a front office perspective.

Will be interesting to see how the rest of the positions are filled out.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#17 » by Donnyxc » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:36 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:

Racism is a product of ignorance. All your comments on this thread are too. Get a clue.

I'm glad to hear this poster posts bs in other places.

The Celtics were the first team to hire a black head coach. The last 3 championships were one with black head coaches.
Everyone here in Boston is psyched. I'm not going to pretend we don't have racists here but they're awfully quiet. The majority of the fan base supports this move and wanted to give Ime a shot.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#18 » by Donnyxc » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:41 pm

captain green wrote:Cool we got a top 25 coach only problem was that there were literally 24 better options. Not a good start for my Celtics a crap financial trade and a crap hire. For the record I wanted lawson or hammon. Jay will just posted it's the first african american hire for Celtics? We were the first then k.c. then doc that motor cycle accident got his brain permanent damage damn dude.

We have no identity. The Jays trust Ide from their Team USA run. We need a coach who motivates them and gets the team back on the right track focusing on defensive intensity and making the right play. My point, it would be harder for another coach (I was also high on Lawson & Hammon) to do this with a blank slate, whereas Ide has already set the tone with the Jays in the past.

This is a good move and YES Jay Will gotta have brain damage, I saw that post too lol.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,482

Post#19 » by RondoToKG » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:05 pm

pagal wrote:
cheezone wrote:

Let's just say that there's a reason why this organization's search was limited to African-American candidates.

Wait... what do you mean by that? lol are you saying that the players only wanted a black coach?
pagal
Starter

Post#20 » by pagal » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:23 pm

RondoToKG wrote:
pagal wrote:
cheezone wrote:

Wait... what do you mean by that? lol are you saying that the players only wanted a black coach?

YES, players did want a black coach - your boy DA's statement about "not hearing anything about racism" in Boston didn't fly over well with the team or the folks around the league and before you dismiss this as conjecture, it was reported by Jackie and few others.

Return to Wiretap Discussion