Raptors Expected To Re-Sign Gary Trent Jr.

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Raptors Expected To Re-Sign Gary Trent Jr. 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:02 pm

Gary Trent Jr. is widely expected to re-sign with the Toronto Raptors this offseason, sources tell The Athletic.

Trent will be a restricted free agent after he was traded by the Portland Trail Blazers to the Raptors at the deadline as part of the Norman Powell deal.

Trent has a $2.2 million cap hold.

Via John Hollinger/The Athletic

DatHomieYouHaTe
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,909

Re: Raptors Expected To Re-Sign Gary Trent Jr. 

Post#2 » by DatHomieYouHaTe » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:08 pm

duh. I mean, they did trade for him so I expect they want him. people expecting the Raptors to trade him are laughable.
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#3 » by imDatknicksTape » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:18 pm

can some1 explain why blazers let this guy go for an expiring normal powell?
DelAbbot
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#4 » by DelAbbot » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:00 pm

This is just a warning shot by Masai/Bobby to any GM out there thinking about offering GTJ an offer sheet. We will drag it out to match and block the cap space in the offer sheet for the GM over the few days. The effect is to depress GTJ's market and secure him on a cheaper deal for the Raptors.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#5 » by sca » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:58 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:can some1 explain why blazers let this guy go for an expiring normal powell?

Because Powell is the better player and they’re desperately trying to improve their team? It’s not rocket science.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#6 » by imDatknicksTape » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:23 pm

sca wrote:
imDatknicksTape wrote:can some1 explain why blazers let this guy go for an expiring normal powell?

Because Powell is the better player and they’re desperately trying to improve their team? It’s not rocket science.

yea i get hes the better player, but they let trent go for a guy that played 20+ games, i dont get in the long run, i guess they thought they were contenders
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#7 » by TimeisIllmatic » Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:26 pm

GTJ is a good player and definitely worth locking up long term with their core. If they can draft Suggs (which they should) that will give them a nice wing rotation.
Ballknowledge
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#8 » by Ballknowledge » Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:25 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:
sca wrote:

yea i get hes the better player, but they let trent go for a guy that played 20+ games, i dont get in the long run, i guess they thought they were contenders

Norman is the better player right now and the front office probably felt some pressure from Dame to do well in the playoffs (not that it made a difference). They did acquire norm’s bird rights as well so they can go over the cap to resign him and potentially trade CJ if the right deal came up
Ray Donovan
Junior
And1: 144

Post#9 » by Ray Donovan » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:17 am

Heard the BLazers wanted no part of his agent, Rich Paul I believe. Strong wing 3 pt shooter who gives effort on D, Lotsa teams would Love to have him

Return to Wiretap Discussion