Chauncey Billups Briefly Addresses Allegations In Press Conference With Blazers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Chauncey Billups Briefly Addresses Allegations In Press Conference With Blazers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:13 pm

The Portland Trail Blazers introduced Chauncey Billups as head coach in a news conference on Tuesday. The hiring takes place amid the resurfacing of a 1997 rape allegation made against Billups.

Neil Olshey said Tuesday that an independent investigation gave the organization confidence in moving forward with Billups as coach.

"We commissioned our own independent investigation into the incident in question 1997," Olshey said. "The findings of that [investigation] corroborated Chauncey's recollection of the events, that nothing non-consensual happened. We stand by Chauncey, everyone in the organization, and believe he's the right person to be our head coach and the right choice to be an ambassador in the Portland community everyone is accustomed to."

No criminal charges were brought in the 1997 case, but Billups settled a civil lawsuit filed by the woman.

Billups addressed the issue in his opening remarks.

"Before I even talk about my role, with the team and me being the head coach, I first want to talk about ... the incident that happened in 1997," Billups said. "There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about how every decision we make could have a profound impact on a person's life. I learned at a very young age as a player, but not only a player but a young man, a young adult, that every decision has consequences. And that's led to some really, really healthy, but tough conversations that I've had to have with my wife, who was my girlfriend at the time in 1997, and my daughters about what actually happened and what they may have to read about me in the news and the media.

"But this experience has shaped my life in so many different ways. My decision-making, obviously. Who I allow to be in my life, the friendships and relationships I have and how I go about them. It's impacted every decision that I make and it's shaped me in some unbelievable ways. I know how important it is to have the right support system around you, particularly in tough, difficult times."

A moderator for the news conference interjected when follow-up questions on the incident were asked.

Via Royce Young/ESPN

elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 81

Re: Chauncey Billups Briefly Addresses Allegations In Press Conference With Blazers 

Post#2 » by elmdawgg69 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:42 pm

Why is this even a point of contention 25 years after the case was closed? It seems some Lefties are trying to cancel Billups.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Re: Chauncey Billups Briefly Addresses Allegations In Press Conference With Blazers 

Post#3 » by RipCityKJ » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:12 pm

elmdawgg69 wrote:Why is this even a point of contention 25 years after the case was closed? It seems some Lefties are trying to cancel Billups.

25 years ago he was still an adult! If you haven't read the police report or report from the nurses who did the rape kit, I would stay away from acting like it was all fun and games, right now Billups is canceling Billups. Chauncey himself can't explain why he says they had consensual sex at his house but she ended up at Antoine Walkers house on the floor surrounded by used condoms with his DNA in one? If nothing happened why would Walker sue Chauncey and why would Chauncey settle with him too? Why did the Celtics trade the #3 pick in the middle of his rookie season for Kenny Anderson? If you're innocent you don't pay, if it was consensual you don't pay and if you're innocent but going to blame your lawyer for telling you to settle then why dodge questions on the subject? Why not answer general questions that if answered honestly would help clear your name? The questions asked today if they had been answered would have put an end to a lot of this but the fact that PR had to step in and protect him from answering, along with Olshey refusing to say what their investigation was or who did it or what it found out about the case, all makes the matter even worse.
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#4 » by elmdawgg69 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:34 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
elmdawgg69 wrote:Why is this even a point of contention 25 years after the case was closed? It seems some Lefties are trying to cancel Billups.

25 years ago he was still an adult! If you haven't read the police report or report from the nurses who did the rape kit, I would stay away from acting like it was all fun and games, right now Billups is canceling Billups. Chauncey himself can't explain why he says they had consensual sex at his house but she ended up at Antoine Walkers house on the floor surrounded by used condoms with his DNA in one? If nothing happened why would Walker sue Chauncey and why would Chauncey settle with him too? Why did the Celtics trade the #3 pick in the middle of his rookie season for Kenny Anderson? If you're innocent you don't pay, if it was consensual you don't pay and if you're innocent but going to blame your lawyer for telling you to settle then why dodge questions on the subject? Why not answer general questions that if answered honestly would help clear your name? The questions asked today if they had been answered would have put an end to a lot of this but the fact that PR had to step in and protect him from answering, along with Olshey refusing to say what their investigation was or who did it or what it found out about the case, all makes the matter even worse.

Again, who cares? This was already settled. Billups moved on and had an illustrious playing career. None of the 11 teams or whatever cared when they signed him. He became a broadcaster after that. ESPN didn’t care. He got the Cavs GM job. They didn’t care. He’s been an assistant for the Clippers. Lue and management didn’t care. Why care now?

The NY/LA media is out for him because they want to create chaos so Lillard will request a trade. They’ll stop caring about Billups’ teenage escapades after Lillard is gone.
RipCityKJ
Senior

Post#5 » by RipCityKJ » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:23 am

elmdawgg69 wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:

Again, who cares? This was already settled. Billups moved on and had an illustrious playing career. None of the 11 teams or whatever cared when they signed him. He became a broadcaster after that. ESPN didn’t care. He got the Cavs GM job. They didn’t care. He’s been an assistant for the Clippers. Lue and management didn’t care. Why care now?

The NY/LA media is out for him because they want to create chaos so Lillard will request a trade. They’ll stop caring about Billups’ teenage escapades after Lillard is gone.

21 is not a teen and rape is not escapades like tossing tp on a house you moron! I’m also sure their is a victim out there that cares about this and other victims of sexual assault that care. As for blaming the media that’s insane, if anything the media widely ignored this story until they had to address it because of fan outrage which explains why he was able to get job after job. If you don’t care then why are you so upset about it? Do you write letter of support to Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein? Where does your rape culture sympathy end?
BlueShirtBart
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#6 » by BlueShirtBart » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:27 am

Chauncey spent the last 20+ years employed by the NBA and nobody tried to destroy his career over these accusations, until he moved to the loving liberal utopia that is Portland, OR. :banghead:

The woke cancel culture consisting of white liberals is trying to destroy another person they don’t like, who’s surprised?
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#7 » by alienpick » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:31 am

RipCityKJ wrote:
elmdawgg69 wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:

21 is not a teen and rape is not escapades like tossing tp on a house you moron! I’m also sure their is a victim out there that cares about this and other victims of sexual assault that care. As for blaming the media that’s insane, if anything the media widely ignored this story until they had to address it because of fan outrage which explains why he was able to get job after job. If you don’t care then why are you so upset about it? Do you write letter of support to Bill Cosby and Harvey Weinstein? Where does your rape culture sympathy end?

Your argument falls apart because it's based on YOUR assumption that Billips is guilty. There is no facts to support that, and paying someone to go away isn't proof. Your personal outrage does not equal facts. Just because you are all in your feels about this subject; doesn't mean everyone is guilty and we don't need to look at the facts. The Blazers looked at the facts, ESPN looked at the facts, The Clippers looked at the facts, all of them found Billips not to be guilty... so we'll stand with the people who have looked at the facts rather than some wound up princess with an agenda.
RipCityKJ
Senior

Post#8 » by RipCityKJ » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:04 am

alienpick wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:
elmdawgg69 wrote:

Your argument falls apart because it's based on YOUR assumption that Billips is guilty. There is no facts to support that, and paying someone to go away isn't proof. Your personal outrage does not equal facts. Just because you are all in your feels about this subject; doesn't mean everyone is guilty and we don't need to look at the facts. The Blazers looked at the facts, ESPN looked at the facts, The Clippers looked at the facts, all of them found Billips not to be guilty... so we'll stand with the people who have looked at the facts rather than some wound up princess with an agenda.

Why won’t ESPN, the clippers or the blazers release the facts? Olshey today said they did a deep investigation but asked what that was he denied comment, what great “facts”. The facts I’m going off of are the police report, the nurses notes of the rape kit, the fact the Chauncey settled but hasn’t said why or what makes him innocent? I laid out what is factually stated by the law of Massachusetts, the actions taken by the victim and the actions taken by Chauncey. This didn’t even need to be a topic had Chauncey or the Blazers disclosed his side of it and let us make a formal opinion but when they dodge it for 20 years and pass it off to the fan base to look into it then people are going to question what really happened and they have the right too. Rape is a serious crime, lying about rape is a serious crime and both should be looked as just as truthful or not as the other.

I don’t want to hate on Chauncey I grew up a huge fan, I didn’t even know about this case until he came up as a candidate and it came as a huge surprise to me. After reading the reports from the police, nurse, court filings and media reports I couldn’t understand how he could remain silent and under the radar for the last 20 years. It’s his right not to have to answer anything but as long as he doesn’t there will/should be doubts.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#9 » by MitchB3 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:56 am

BlueShirtBart wrote:Chauncey spent the last 20+ years employed by the NBA and nobody tried to destroy his career over these accusations, until he moved to the loving liberal utopia that is Portland, OR. :banghead:

The woke cancel culture consisting of white liberals is trying to destroy another person they don’t like, who’s surprised?

Nobody is really surprised, tbh.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#10 » by BigHustle » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:36 am

Where’s Lebron on this social justice issue? Doesn’t he support #metoo ?
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:06 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
BlueShirtBart wrote:Chauncey spent the last 20+ years employed by the NBA and nobody tried to destroy his career over these accusations, until he moved to the loving liberal utopia that is Portland, OR. :banghead:

Nobody is really surprised, tbh.

I think the main drive is from host of "locked on blazers", Mike Richman. I honestly think his main motives were to disqualify Billups so the Blazers would hire a veteran coach. He stirred up a lot of anger but failed to dissuade Blazers' management. I don't think Billups is a good enough hire for them to ignore past discretion's. If they had found anything he would not have gotten the job.

Return to Wiretap Discussion