Collin Sexton Reportedly 'Very Available' This Summer

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Collin Sexton Reportedly 'Very Available' This Summer 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:19 am

Collin Sexton is reportedly "very available" to be traded this summer, sources told Jason Lloyd of The Athletic.

Lloyd adds that his belief that the Cavs would sign Sexton to a max contract is no longer true after speaking to various sources around the league.

Sexton is set to enter the final year of his rookie deal next season.

Teams around the league are aware of his contract situation, thereby hurting his trade value. 

Via Jason Lloyd/The Athletic

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Re: Collin Sexton Reportedly 'Very Available' This Summer 

Post#2 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:28 am

He really had a breakthrough year, but I would also be leery of giving him max dollars. Will be ever be even an average defender? If not, then his shooting is fine, but he doesn't bring enough else to justify 5 years, $140mil.

Maybe the Cavaliers feel pressure to move him now, because his agent is telling them that he won't sign unless it's the max. I don't know if a team can hitch a financial wagon to him as your biggest salary.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:11 pm

Smh who cares what Lloyd has a sense of happening he hates the cavs decisions in this rebuild and anticipates them to sell low on Sexton instead of letting him bet on himself in rfa
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,802

Post#4 » by JJ_PR » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:03 pm

He's not worth the max. I'd give him 5 years, 100m tops.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:52 pm

JJ_PR wrote:He's not worth the max. I'd give him 5 years, 100m tops.

He might be , but they should not part with him before they know what the market says...if they have the nads to let him test free agency and the market work itself.
Or they can just trade him for scraps like all these clowns expect hence the assumptions esp after the track record of
Altman trading Kyrie for a broken IT and a pick that the Cavs were lucky turned into a Sexton caliber player .
There is other moves that make other GM's think he is a push over trading away Kevin Porter Jr. who the same
clowns say was the Cavs best young player out of the other side of their mouth for a top 55 protected or maybe they think trading for Drummond and then getting nothing for him or being stuck with KLove etc etc etc...
It actually would not surprise me if his critics are right that Altman does sell low on Sexton , but the right play is to let him test free agency as a Cavalier. Then Match whatever it takes to retain him.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#6 » by njknicks » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:06 pm

Interesting comparison with Kyrie / Collin years 1 through 3 of their time with the Cavs - virtually similar types of numbers.

Kyrie is a superior passer, better defender early in his career -- whereas Sexton appears to have a better touch from the outside early on and a not as injury prone as Kyrie. Will Collin have a similar career trajectory in year 4 and beyond?

Kyrie = Year 3 : 20.8ppg, 6.1apg, 3.6rpg, 1.5spg / 43%fg, .36%three, 86%ft
Collin = Year 3 : 24.3ppg, 4.4apg, 3.1rpg, 1.0spg / 48%fg, .37%three, 81%ft

Kyrie = Year 1 - 3 ( Wins ) : 21, 24, 33 wins
Collin = Year 1 - 3 ( Wins ) : 19, 19, 22 wins
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#7 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:35 pm

njknicks wrote:Interesting comparison with Kyrie / Collin years 1 through 3 of their time with the Cavs - virtually similar types of numbers.

Kyrie is a superior passer, better defender early in his career -- whereas Sexton appears to have a better touch from the outside early on and a not as injury prone as Kyrie. Will Collin have a similar career trajectory in year 4 and beyond?

Kyrie = Year 3 : 20.8ppg, 6.1apg, 3.6rpg, 1.5spg / 43%fg, .36%three, 86%ft
Collin = Year 3 : 24.3ppg, 4.4apg, 3.1rpg, 1.0spg / 48%fg, .37%three, 81%ft

Kyrie = Year 1 - 3 ( Wins ) : 21, 24, 33 wins
Collin = Year 1 - 3 ( Wins ) : 19, 19, 22 wins

Collin is so fast with the ball in his hands that defenses want to back pedal off him. He's learned to take advantage of that and fire up open 3's which he's become good at ... but nowhere close to Irving's level in terms of being able to create his own 3pt shot.

One thing they have in common is that both players are wired to play more like shooting guards than PG's. With Irving it seemed to be more intentional where as for Collin it seems to be more a lack of instinct. So, I expect Collin to improve in area he sets his mind to, but ultimately there are probably limits where he can go .vs. Irving where the limits are more about where he wants to go.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#8 » by mg » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:01 pm

Stillwater wrote:Smh who cares what Lloyd has a sense of happening he hates the cavs decisions in this rebuild and anticipates them to sell low on Sexton instead of letting him bet on himself in rfa

Lloyd doesn't even attend Cav games anymore. Pretty sure he and the other Athletic guy Vardon get all their intel from Klutch and Kevin Love. Obviously Klutch has an interest in Darius Garland and not Collin Sexton. If I'm another GM I'm on the phone trying to rip off Altman who already gave away both Kyrie and Kevin Porter Jr for scraps.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:37 pm

mg wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Smh who cares what Lloyd has a sense of happening he hates the cavs decisions in this rebuild and anticipates them to sell low on Sexton instead of letting him bet on himself in rfa

Lloyd doesn't even attend Cav games anymore. Pretty sure he and the other Athletic guy Vardon get all their intel from Klutch and Kevin Love. Obviously Klutch has an interest in Darius Garland and not Collin Sexton. If I'm another GM I'm on the phone trying to rip off Altman who already gave away both Kyrie and Kevin Porter Jr for scraps.

I dont know about all that but if its true wow thats messed up...
I am guessing AGAIN all this stuff is about is the anticipation from these clowns that Sexton will demand a max extension and the cavs will simply try to get something besides nothing the only problem with that is he is for one too important to this team to not get something significant for him which is highly unlikely if he is wanting a max payday. It is just plain short sighted to trade Sexton they should accept at this point he needs to hit RFA to establish his true value and the Cavs should match because another Sexton is not walking through the door. Nobody else on that roster has the same motor leadership or work ethic some are close like Okoro but thats it

Return to Wiretap Discussion