Team USA Loses To Australia 91-83 In Exhibition

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Team USA Loses To Australia 91-83 In Exhibition 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:50 am

The United States fell to 0-2 in their exhibitions ahead of the Tokyo Olympics, losing to Australia 91-83 in Las Vegas.

The United States has now lost four of its past five games dating back to the 2019 World Cup. 

"I thought we got better tonight," said Team USA coach Gregg Popovich, continuing his stance of emphasizing process over results. "After a short time together, there's a lot of things that have to be covered."

Damian Lillard had 22 points in the game for the United States.

"We walked into this game expecting to win," said Joe Ingles of the Utah Jazz, who had 17 points for Australia. "No disrespect to them, they're a hell of a team, obviously the guys they've got on their roster and Pop standing up there is always nice to see, but we came in here expecting to win the game and that's what we did."

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Re: Team USA Loses To Australia 91-83 In Exhibition 

Post#2 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:27 am

I respect Pop's stance... and it's the right one to take, but you gotta wonder if his squad's aren't underachieving. Where's JVG and why aint he on the bench? I guess doing the finals is a heck of a lot more lucrative and fun?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#3 » by jozef » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:15 am

I would start:
PF Draymon Green
SF Kevin Durant
C Bam Adebayo
SG Bradley Beal
PG Damian Lillard
Tatum, LaVine, Love off the bench
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,219

Post#4 » by J-Mezzy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:53 am

I’ve only watched a bit

But it seems as if the team is missing a playmaker

Lots of scorers but you can’t really have Green be the only playmaker
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
KingsTime
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#5 » by KingsTime » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:17 am

Up the Green and Gold!
Lol. So much Isolation in the USA plays, no passing, only screens for Dame and pass the ball to durant and do nothing else. Not bad plays hey, compared to the true blue Aussie GOAT, Patty **** Mills
Eshay lad ya dogg
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 317

Post#6 » by Hans1984 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 am

The tournament hasn't even started and they are already losing every game. Not a good look.
elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 78

Post#7 » by elmdawgg69 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:44 am

Pop, Kerr, and Lloyd Pierce shouldn’t be coaching this team. None of these coaches have made the Playoffs the past two seasons. Kerr and Pop aren’t very supportive of the Flag or America either. Pop is over the hill and has gone senile.

Jay Wright should be coaching with JVG as lead assistant.
Governor Dudley
Starter
And1: 633

Post#8 » by Governor Dudley » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:26 am

elmdawgg69 wrote:Pop, Kerr, and Lloyd Pierce shouldn’t be coaching this team. None of these coaches have made the Playoffs the past two seasons. Kerr and Pop aren’t very supportive of the Flag or America either. Pop is over the hill and has gone senile.

Jay Wright should be coaching with JVG as lead assistant.
Man, shut up. Being critical of the US doesn't mean you don't support or love the country.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#9 » by oceanlife » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:49 am

There is more than enough talent for the usa team to win but the Biggest issue is the team usa coaches. In their careers have never had success without generational talent carrying their teams. Without duncan, jordan, kawhi or curry there would be no one who knew who the coaching staff was.

Now I am not trying to say they are bad coaches, because coaching generational talent has its own challenges. But Pop and Kerr dont appear to be equipped to work with a talented but understaffed team. That’s why Pop was nonchalant about the last loss, he thought it was a wakeup call. But the real issue is that the current roster doesn’t have the talent to make up for a lack of chemistry and X’s and O’s coaching.

We will see if they turn it around but i would not be surprised if team usa fails to medal.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#10 » by BigHustle » Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:51 pm

oceanlife wrote:There is more than enough talent for the usa team to win but the Biggest issue is the team usa coaches. In their careers have never had success without generational talent carrying their teams. Without duncan, jordan, kawhi or curry there would be no one who knew who the coaching staff was.

Now I am not trying to say they are bad coaches, because coaching generational talent has its own challenges. But Pop and Kerr dont appear to be equipped to work with a talented but understaffed team. That’s why Pop was nonchalant about the last loss, he thought it was a wakeup call. But the real issue is that the current roster doesn’t have the talent to make up for a lack of chemistry and X’s and O’s coaching.

We will see if they turn it around but i would not be surprised if team usa fails to medal.

What does MJ have to do with this sad tale? Kerr was his sidekick, not coach.

Return to Wiretap Discussion