Dennis Schroder Seeks Bigger Role, Payday Than Lakers Appear Willing To Provide

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dennis Schroder Seeks Bigger Role, Payday Than Lakers Appear Willing To Provide 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:25 pm

Dennis Schroder is seeking a greater role and salary than the Los Angeles Lakers appear willing to offer as he hits free agency.

Schroder declined a four-year, $84 million extension offer from the Lakers during the season.

The Chicago Bulls and New York Knicks are expected to pursue Schroder, who could be acquired via a sign-and-trade with the cooperation of the Lakers. The Knicks have enough cap space to sign Schroder outright.

The Lakers acquired Schroder from the Oklahoma City Thunder last offseason for their 2020 first round pick and Danny Green.

Via Jake Fischer/Bleacher Report

Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 317

Re: Dennis Schroder Seeks Bigger Role, Payday Than Lakers Appear Willing To Provide 

Post#2 » by Hans1984 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:35 pm

He should have signed that extension when he had the chance to. He will never get payed that much ever again.
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Re: Dennis Schroder Seeks Bigger Role, Payday Than Lakers Appear Willing To Provide 

Post#3 » by Tamimi » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:39 pm

He can a bigger role all-right: in China! He's not worthy of a bigger role on a serious team. On lower-tier team, maybe.
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#4 » by objectivefan » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:50 pm

"Schroder declined a four-year, $84 million extension offer from the Lakers during the season"

- no way I am seeing a team give him close to that again.. Maybe 4/60
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 pm

If Schroeder finds a bigger role than 3rd option with the Lakers behind 2 injury prone stats, that team he plays for will be really really bad.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:41 pm

The_Hater wrote:If Schroeder finds a bigger role than 3rd option with the Lakers behind 2 injury prone stats, that team he plays for will be really really bad.

He will certainly find a larger role. He was 89th in the league in USG%, which is really low for a starting PG. There were six Lakers between 19.5 - 22.9 in USG%. Schroeder wasn't a 3rd option as much as he was, "just one of the other guys." I'm guessing he just wants to be a PG and play less off ball. That won't happen next to Lebron.

I agree that a larger role means that he'll likely end up on a pretty bad team. He'll probably get paid less if it's not a lottery team... but what if DEN gives him 2/50 with a team option to cover while Murray is out? They'll likely have an injured player exception that they can spend on somebody. Who else is out there? He wouldn't be the primary ball handler in DEN either, but maybe just a change of scenery.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#7 » by hyper316 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:42 pm

Knicks

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,832

Post#8 » by psman2 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:59 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
The_Hater wrote:If Schroeder finds a bigger role than 3rd option with the Lakers behind 2 injury prone stats, that team he plays for will be really really bad.

He will certainly find a larger role. He was 89th in the league in USG%, which is really low for a starting PG. There were six Lakers between 19.5 - 22.9 in USG%. Schroeder wasn't a 3rd option as much as he was, "just one of the other guys." I'm guessing he just wants to be a PG and play less off ball. That won't happen next to Lebron.

I agree that a larger role means that he'll likely end up on a pretty bad team. He'll probably get paid less if it's not a lottery team... but what if DEN gives him 2/50 with a team option to cover while Murray is out? They'll likely have an injured player exception that they can spend on somebody. Who else is out there? He wouldn't be the primary ball handler in DEN either, but maybe just a change of scenery.

The DPE is capped at the MLE or 50% of salary of the injured player whichever is LESS, so Denver couldn't offer enough money to get him with the DPE unless he sign for around 10m.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:20 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:

That’s fine if he was 89th in usage, I just don’t see a lot of teams out there that will install him as their starting PG and give him a lot more touches as well. Maybe I’m wrong.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#10 » by niha17 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:03 am

when it comes to Dennis Schroder keep him away from the bulls the dont need anymore bad contracts he is a complete idiot to turn down the 84 mill hes 27 or 28 years old now he had a horrible playoffs he might get 4 years 45 mil if hes lucky but not the bulls please
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#11 » by donaldtrump_00 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:51 am

Idk why they put the Bulls in the hunt for him. There not paying him nothing close to 100 million. Knicks might do it. He's a nice player but he's lost his damn mind. He turned down 21 mill a year to win with the Lakers. Something is seriously wrong with him. Illtake him for 4 years and 70 million and throw in some incentives if he makes all NBA and allstar game. I doubt he'd make either.
airjordanair
Senior
And1: 32

Post#12 » by airjordanair » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:04 am

Wat? :lol:
Bigger role and pay? Good luck finding that.. oh wait , there’s New York.. yikes!

That’s $1000 per flop if you add it all up.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#13 » by tigerae » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:59 am

I see him getting maybe 60 to 80 for 4 years max. Even that may be pushing it after his play in the playoffs when he could have taken over games. He had plenty of opportunities in LA to step up, he just didn't do it most of the time.

With that said, a sign and trade will likely get him the most money. I don't think teams like the Knicks will waste their cap on him. It will have to be a sign and trade or just end up re-signing and then having to prove himself in LA again or getting traded mid-season.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,364

Post#14 » by NoStatsGuy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:21 am

I hope the knicks are staying away from this guy.
im bout dat action boss
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 912

Post#15 » by docholliday99 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:28 pm

donaldtrump_00 wrote:Idk why they put the Bulls in the hunt for him. There not paying him nothing close to 100 million. Knicks might do it. He's a nice player but he's lost his damn mind. He turned down 21 mill a year to win with the Lakers. Something is seriously wrong with him. Illtake him for 4 years and 70 million and throw in some incentives if he makes all NBA and allstar game. I doubt he'd make either.

There's nothing wrong with him, he just wants to actually play and have an impact while getting paid. I respect the ultra confidence and passion to be a leader though he's already had his chance to be a lead guard with the Hawks. His poor decision making on defense has always held him back from being that guy. Still, his numbers pre Lakers suggest he should be paid in the FvV range at the highest, so tbh, I was surprised he turned that down the Lakers contract offer; so I see Schroder's issue is not about being paid but more about roles and being pushed into a Danny Green type role - who the Lakers should have kept and probably wished they had still.

A few key Laker role players seem quite unsettled these days...Schroder, Harrell, Gasol, Kuz (who lives in the trade mill, etc)....not easy to "know your role" when playing next to Lebron - that being said, Vogel is terrible for the Lakers and his mishandling of...everything, hasn't helped either.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#16 » by MitchB3 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:06 pm

The quicker he learns he's a 6th man at best the better he'll be.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,340

Post#17 » by Scalabrine » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:05 pm

hyper316 wrote:Knicks

Knicks should be going hard after Sexton honestly. If we can trade for him for something like Knox, 19th pick, and a future 2nd then we'd be looking at Randle/RJ/Sexton/Mitch/Toppin/Quickley/21st pick/32nd pick and roughly 40 million in cap space in a loaded free agent class.
Go Knicks!
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 912

Post#18 » by docholliday99 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:59 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
hyper316 wrote:Knicks

Knicks should be going hard after Sexton honestly. If we can trade for him for something like Knox, 19th pick, and a future 2nd then we'd be looking at Randle/RJ/Sexton/Mitch/Toppin/Quickley/21st pick/32nd pick and roughly 40 million in cap space in a loaded free agent class.

Sexton's inability to play anything resembling defense will give Thibs fits....he'd be forever in Thibs' doghouse and on the end of his bench.

Sexton's really not a Knicks type of player and that deal is overkill for hm.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#19 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:29 pm

docholliday99 wrote:
donaldtrump_00 wrote:Idk why they put the Bulls in the hunt for him. There not paying him nothing close to 100 million. Knicks might do it. He's a nice player but he's lost his damn mind. He turned down 21 mill a year to win with the Lakers. Something is seriously wrong with him. Illtake him for 4 years and 70 million and throw in some incentives if he makes all NBA and allstar game. I doubt he'd make either.

There's nothing wrong with him, he just wants to actually play and have an impact while getting paid. I respect the ultra confidence and passion to be a leader though he's already had his chance to be a lead guard with the Hawks. His poor decision making on defense has always held him back from being that guy. Still, his numbers pre Lakers suggest he should be paid in the FvV range at the highest, so tbh, I was surprised he turned that down the Lakers contract offer; so I see Schroder's issue is not about being paid but more about roles and being pushed into a Danny Green type role - who the Lakers should have kept and probably wished they had still.

A few key Laker role players seem quite unsettled these days...Schroder, Harrell, Gasol, Kuz (who lives in the trade mill, etc)....not easy to "know your role" when playing next to Lebron - that being said, Vogel is terrible for the Lakers and his mishandling of...everything, hasn't helped either.

They won in 2020 with Vogel as coach.. They had AD and LeBron out for stretches of this year.. They were clowning the suns to AD went down.. I mean your take is ridiculous.. Injuries caused the downfall of this team as it did many this season..
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,545

Post#20 » by dice » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:24 am

NoStatsGuy wrote:I hope the knicks are staying away from this guy.

that would be a nice change of pace for the knicks
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged

Return to Wiretap Discussion