Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach

Moderators: -Sammy-, Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 80,933
And1: 219
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:18 pm

The Dallas Mavericks are making progress in their attempts to hire Igor Kokoskov as an assistant coach on the staff of Jason Kidd.


Kokoskov coached Luka Doncic on the Slovenian national team in 2017 and is the head coach of Fenerbahce.


Kokoskov has previous NBA experience as the head coach of the Phoenix Suns and as an assistant coach for several teams since 2000.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

Lockdown504090
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,019
And1: 5,025
Joined: Nov 24, 2015
         

Re: Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#2 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:47 pm

this would be such a great move for them. i hpe they can get him
CobraCommander
RealGM
Posts: 12,247
And1: 4,993
Joined: May 01, 2014
       

Re: Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#3 » by CobraCommander » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:16 pm

Not complaining about Igor per say, but if his most important asset his relationship with Luka and Dallas only cares how Luka feels, do it. But this reeks of a team worried about retaining Luka. If everything good - what’s up with this?
CobraCommander
RealGM
Posts: 12,247
And1: 4,993
Joined: May 01, 2014
       

Re: Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#4 » by CobraCommander » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:16 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:this would be such a great move for them. i hpe they can get him

Apart from Luka connection, why?
User avatar
madmaxmedia
General Manager
Posts: 9,109
And1: 4,391
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Location: SoCal
     

Re: Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#5 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:41 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:this would be such a great move for them. i hpe they can get him

Apart from Luka connection, why?


Pretty much good enough reason.
KembaWalker
Head Coach
Posts: 6,252
And1: 3,077
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
   

Re: Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#6 » by KembaWalker » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:08 pm

not a good look for the Luka resentment thats already boiling over on that squad, in the office and locker room
Image
reamily
Junior
Posts: 422
And1: 62
Joined: Feb 01, 2020

Re: Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#7 » by reamily » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:07 am

Is he out as fenerbache coach?..( He left the kings top assistant job to ioin fenerbache so he must be offered more to return back) with how Serbia was upset in qualifiers and fenerbache lose in Turkish league seems that the hiring really is more to appease Luka..might as well sign Mike Tobey to a contract
User avatar
Lalouie
RealGM
Posts: 13,066
And1: 6,176
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#8 » by Lalouie » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:27 am

anything to pacify luka because recruiting talent will be a chore
njknicks
Senior
Posts: 576
And1: 76
Joined: Sep 07, 2017

Re: Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#9 » by njknicks » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:19 am

Incredible the stars of today versus the recent decade.

While Luka is an incredible player -- he has not won anything -- no championship, no MVP, has not led the Mavs to a #1 seed -- but the Mavs are pulling out all stops to appease him.

Until Luka signs a long-term deal : get ready for a roller coaster ride with the Mavs.
wa7hnaussksjst
Sophomore
Posts: 103
And1: 15
Joined: May 21, 2018

Re: Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#10 » by wa7hnaussksjst » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:29 am

njknicks wrote:Incredible the stars of today versus the recent decade.

While Luka is an incredible player -- he has not won anything -- no championship, no MVP, has not led the Mavs to a #1 seed -- but the Mavs are pulling out all stops to appease him.

Until Luka signs a long-term deal : get ready for a roller coaster ride with the Mavs.


Please add "has not won anything in the NBA" because the kid won Eurobasket, Euroleague and was the MVP. Quite an achievement for someone younger than 19.
njknicks
Senior
Posts: 576
And1: 76
Joined: Sep 07, 2017

Re: Mavericks Working To Hire Igor Kokoskov As Assistant Coach 

Post#11 » by njknicks » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:36 pm

Outright_awful wrote:
njknicks wrote:Incredible the stars of today versus the recent decade.

While Luka is an incredible player -- he has not won anything -- no championship, no MVP, has not led the Mavs to a #1 seed -- but the Mavs are pulling out all stops to appease him.

Until Luka signs a long-term deal : get ready for a roller coaster ride with the Mavs.


Please add "has not won anything in the NBA" because the kid won Eurobasket, Euroleague and was the MVP. Quite an achievement for someone younger than 19.


Without a doubt an amazing achievement -- he is a phenom / transcendent / generational talent -- given his age / skill level he will have plenty of opportunities to continue to showcase his greatness in the league : but the pressure is now squarely on him to win a championship(s) -- he has the coach of his choice, GM ousted, organizational shakeup, franchise in his complete hands. Will be interesting to see how things transpire.

Return to Wiretap Discussion