Pelicans Officially Hire Willie Green As Head Coach

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Pelicans Officially Hire Willie Green As Head Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 pm

The New Orleans Pelicans have named Willie Green the team’s new head coach.

Green becomes the eighth head coach in franchise history.

“After an extensive and collaborative search, Willie stood out among an impressive group of candidates as the best person to lead our team moving forward,” said Pelicans Governor Gayle Benson. “We are very happy to welcome Willie as our new head coach and we look forward to working with him to guide our team on the court as we work towards bringing a championship to New Orleans.”

“Willie has established himself as one of the most respected assistant coaches in the NBA. In large part, this is due to a tireless work ethic and authenticity of character,” said David Griffin. “He brings a vast amount of basketball knowledge and experience to our team as both a coach and former player, along with exceptional leadership qualities and an innate ability to connect with players, staff and fans alike. We could not be more excited to welcome Willie and his family to New Orleans.”

“I want to thank Mrs. Benson, David Griffin, and the entire Pelicans organization for having faith in me to lead this talented group of players moving forward,” said Green. “It’s a blessing and an honor to get this opportunity in a special place like New Orleans. I look forward to getting to work and immersing myself and my family into the local community.”

Green joins the Pelicans after spending the previous two seasons (2019-21) as an assistant coach for the Phoenix Suns.

Via RealGM Staff Report

njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Re: Pelicans Officially Hire Willie Green As Head Coach 

Post#2 » by njknicks » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:31 pm

David Griffin fumbled on his extensive coaching search with Stan Van Gundy.

While Willie Green is certainly qualified to lead a team -- David Griffin hired an assistant coach as a head coach because it is more economical ( not necessarily the best choice ) -- Pelicans are now paying SVG salary and Willie Green's new salary.

What does this mean for Zion?

Zion is now on his 3rd head coach entering his 3rd season -- he will be playing under 3 different coaching philosophies, a hodgepodge of roster shuffling and uncertainty in the front office's future. No player would tolerate that type of shaky foundation.

Unless they start winning games -- surrounding Zion with the right type of complimentary pieces -- All of this uncertainty, shuffling will result in him leaving the franchise. And that falls squarely on David Griffin.

Return to Wiretap Discussion