Ben Simmons Increasingly Likely To Be Traded

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Ben Simmons Increasingly Likely To Be Traded 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:23 pm

It's becoming increasingly likely that Ben Simmons of the Philadelphia 76ers will be traded. Teams in the mix for Simmons include the Miami Heat, Toronto Raptors and Washington Wizards, among others.

Washington remains in a bit of a holding pattern, as Bradley Beal debates his future with the team. If Beal requests a trade, that could open the door for a Simmons acquisition for the Wizards.

The availability of Damian Lillard, who is also reportedly mulling a trade request, could factor into a Simmons trade as well. Once there is clarity on either Beal or Lillard, it's expected the Simmons market will develop.

Philadelphia has considered a Simmons trade since he struggled in the 2021 playoffs. His fit alongside Joel Embiid has never come together as hoped for. With over $146 million owed to Simmons over the next four seasons, the Sixers are now considering moving him to retool their roster around Embiid.

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 104

Re: Ben Simmons Increasingly Likely To Be Traded 

Post#2 » by dubbmotta » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:47 pm

I don't understand teams like Wash and Portland..If Beal and Dame are "thinking about it" then trade they azzes...You think they'll be happy six months now when both your teams suck? Neither team will compete for a ship next year, they go want out, trade them now why you can.

Especially Beal who has a contract coming up, the longer you wait the less you'll get.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,745

Post#3 » by the_process » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:55 pm

Miami makes no sense. Except in the context that Riley loves stars.

But then there’s the fact Jimmy doesn’t really like Ben. So yeah, Miami makes no sense.

Even though the fans there don’t really like it, the team that makes the most sense by far is Minnesota. KAT and DLo are friends with Simmons and he meshes with them perfectly on paper. And they have the assets to make Philly whole so they can get a player they want.
MINDKCUF
Senior
And1: 577

Post#4 » by MINDKCUF » Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:50 pm

It's becoming increasingly likely that Ben Simmons of the Philadelphia 76ers will be traded......for less and less as each day passes.
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#5 » by DoctorDunc » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:35 pm

You would think that skill set at 32mm for 4 years can only fit on a team with a 5 that can shoot from range. Oops the Sixers are that team!
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#6 » by BigHustle » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:13 pm

the_process wrote:Miami makes no sense. Except in the context that Riley loves stars.

But then there’s the fact Jimmy doesn’t really like Ben. So yeah, Miami makes no sense.

Even though the fans there don’t really like it, the team that makes the most sense by far is Minnesota. KAT and DLo are friends with Simmons and he meshes with them perfectly on paper. And they have the assets to make Philly whole so they can get a player they want.

Answer: DLo, KAT and Big Ben.
Question: what 3 players are immensely talented but care the least about winning in today’s NBA?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,762

Post#7 » by shrink » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:15 pm

the_process wrote:Even though the fans there don’t really like it, the team that makes the most sense by far is Minnesota. KAT and DLo are friends with Simmons and he meshes with them perfectly on paper. And they have the assets to make Philly whole so they can get a player they want.

I don’t get why people keep thinking Simmons is a perfect fit. The defense helps, but ..

1. Simmons inability to shoot diminishes the Timberwolves’ only match-up advantage. If KAT is paired with a PF who can shoot, then opposing coaches need both bigs to be able to defend to the perimeter. Simmons defender can park himself in the paint.

2. This hurts Edwards ability to get to the rim.

3. DLo isn’t worth his contract, but he’s worth less if you take the ball out of his hands, to let Simmons create. If you don’t, Simmons loses value.

4. Does a team with long max deals to KAT, Russell, and Simmons look like it’s a true contender? They won’t have the money to put much around them.

5. Simmons only has value if he can fix his shooting and his confidence. Granted, that’s not happening in PHI (which is why the Sixers can’t keep him and see his trade value lower), but do you think MIN is a place where he’s going to get his head straight?

6. Ben is a career 52% shooter in the playoffs. Who wants to devote a lot of assets to a player that will be targeted in crunch time in playoff games? Hack-a-Shaq strategy was used when he shot 50.6%. Hopefully all teams have higher aspirations.

Finally, Rosas has said that Anthony Edwards is off the table for Ben Simmons. Many PHI fans believe they have a lot of leverage with Simmons and he will bring back a bundle. I think they will be disappointed.

I’m not trying to single out anyone, because I’ve heard this “perfect fit” line from several people. However, those six issues off the top of my head show that Simmons is very far from a perfect fit in MIN.
BallIsLife179
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#8 » by BallIsLife179 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:56 pm

I know Simmons is an elite ballhandler/ playmaker, but I think teams need to consider moving him away from PG and playing him as a SF/utility player who guards the opposing teams best wing, and gets set up for opportunities instead us having to worry about creating his own shot plus shots for others.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:45 pm

shrink wrote:
the_process wrote:Even though the fans there don’t really like it, the team that makes the most sense by far is Minnesota. KAT and DLo are friends with Simmons and he meshes with them perfectly on paper. And they have the assets to make Philly whole so they can get a player they want.

I don’t get why people keep thinking Simmons is a perfect fit. The defense helps, but ..

1. Simmons inability to shoot diminishes the Timberwolves’ only match-up advantage. If KAT is paired with a PF who can shoot, then opposing coaches need both bigs to be able to defend to the perimeter. Simmons defender can park himself in the paint.

3. DLo isn’t worth his contract, but he’s worth less if you take the ball out of his hands, to let Simmons create. If you don’t, Simmons loses value.

4. Does a team with long max deals to KAT, Russell, and Simmons look like it’s a true contender? They won’t have the money to put much around them.

5. Simmons only has value if he can fix his shooting and his confidence. Granted, that’s not happening in PHI (which is why the Sixers can’t keep him and see his trade value lower), but do you think MIN is a place where he’s going to get his head straight?

6. Ben is a career 52% shooter in the playoffs. Who wants to devote a lot of assets to a player that will be targeted in crunch time in playoff games? Hack-a-Shaq strategy was used when he shot 50.6%. Hopefully all teams have higher aspirations.

Finally, Rosas has said that Anthony Edwards is off the table for Ben Simmons. Many PHI fans believe they have a lot of leverage with Simmons and he will bring back a bundle. I think they will be disappointed.

I’m not trying to single out anyone, because I’ve heard this “perfect fit” line from several people. However, those six issues off the top of my head show that Simmons is very far from a perfect fit in MIN.

I think your both right. As far as fits for Simmons, MIN is about as good as it gets. If he's playing point his defender won't be able to sag off him all the way into the paint. And KAT can stretch the floor allowing them to play 4 out with Simmons in the middle at times.

As far as MIN is concerned, they could do better. Far better with the money involved. Simmons simply isn't worth the money. He is a longer (slightly better?) version of Rubio... but Rubio has learned to shoot enough to keep the defense honest. And Rubio cost 1/2 as much, meaning you can have Rubio and another $17M player for the same cost as Simmons. I know MIN fans complain about Rubio a lot. If they trade for Simmons they will have the same complaints but the contract will magnify them.
the_process
RealGM

Post#10 » by the_process » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:59 pm

shrink wrote:

We disagree on these points.
shrink
RealGM

Post#11 » by shrink » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:06 pm

the_process wrote:We disagree on these points.

.. but no ever makes an argument to counter them.
the_process
RealGM

Post#12 » by the_process » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:45 pm

shrink wrote:

But it has been many times on the trade board. You have your doctoral thesis on why you disagree, great. It's not changing my view on it. I understand you want no part of Simmons. You'll still see me write a dozen more times or so until a deal goes down that Minny ought to go all in on Simmons.
shrink
RealGM

Post#13 » by shrink » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:48 pm

the_process wrote:
shrink wrote:

But it has been many times on the trade board. You have your doctoral thesis on why you disagree, great. It's not changing my view on it. I understand you want no part of Simmons. You'll still see me write a dozen more times or so until a deal goes down that Minny ought to go all in on Simmons.

.. and continue to refuse to defend your position with actual evidence? Your unspoken emotions and hopes don’t make for good fodder for people to have an actual discussion, like .. oh, me listing actual basketball information.

Regardless, if a rebuttal exists, send me a link. I have not seen it, and I’ve been waiting for one.

Otherwise, I will believe these many counter-arguments you allege are another fantasy, like Simmons being the “perfect fit” in MIN, despite all the problems I just listed - any of them questioning the “perfection” of that fit.
the_process
RealGM

Post#14 » by the_process » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:59 pm

shrink wrote:
the_process wrote:
shrink wrote:

If a rebuttal exists, send me a link. I have not seen it, and I’ve been waiting for one.

Otherwise, I will believe these many counter-arguments you allege are another fantasy, like Simmons being the “perfect fit” in MIN, despite all the problems I just listed - any of them questioning the “perfection” of his fit.

Feel free to allege all you want or look for yourself.
WallStar
Junior
And1: 192

Post#15 » by WallStar » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:40 pm

dubbmotta wrote:I don't understand teams like Wash and Portland..If Beal and Dame are "thinking about it" then trade they azzes...You think they'll be happy six months now when both your teams suck? Neither team will compete for a ship next year, they go want out, trade them now why you can.

Especially Beal who has a contract coming up, the longer you wait the less you'll get.

Wizards can pay him more than anyone else in free agency, so they can sign and trade him at the end of the year. Technically, they can receive the same haul, possibly better.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,680

Post#16 » by nedleeds » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:03 am

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,680

Post#17 » by nedleeds » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:06 am

BallIsLife179 wrote:I know Simmons is an elite ballhandler/ playmaker, but I think teams need to consider moving him away from PG and playing him as a SF/utility player who guards the opposing teams best wing, and gets set up for opportunities instead us having to worry about creating his own shot plus shots for others.

He's a center. Also possibly the worst shooter who plays real minutes in the league, teams don't even hack a Capela.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.

Return to Wiretap Discussion