Damian Lillard To Evaluate Portland's Offseason Moves Before Reassessing His Future

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

Damian Lillard To Evaluate Portland's Offseason Moves Before Reassessing His Future 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:38 pm

Damian Lillard is focusing on his Team USA commitments during the Olympics as the NBA enters its offseason and will wait to see how the roster of the Portland Trail Blazers looks like after free agency before reassessing his situation, sources tell Sam Amick of The Athletic.

Lillard has begun to question his future with the Blazers following their first round exit against the Denver Nuggets.

Lillard has four seasons remaining on his contract with Portland.

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,228

Re: Damian Lillard To Evaluate Portland's Offseason Moves Before Reassessing His Future 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:29 pm

Deciding where you want to play is something you do before you sign that contract.... but I really hope POR trades him for a boat load of picks. No Ben Simmons please... just loads of picks.

Just to be clear: Dame is great, but he isn't nearly as great as the hype would suggest. He isn't $45M great. He isn't the best player on a championship team great. If he leaves it will be because he realizes that for himself. I can't fault him for that one bit. I just hope POR cashes in before his stock falls.
Bk68
Sophomore
And1: 13

Re: Damian Lillard To Evaluate Portland's Offseason Moves Before Reassessing His Future 

Post#3 » by Bk68 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:57 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:Deciding where you want to play is something you do before you sign that contract.... but I really hope POR trades him for a boat load of picks. No Ben Simmons please... just loads of picks.

Just to be clear: Dame is great, but he isn't nearly as great as the hype would suggest. He isn't $45M great. He isn't the best player on a championship team great. If he leaves it will be because he realizes that for himself. I can't fault him for that one bit. I just hope POR cashes in before his stock falls.

Sounds like your a Blazer fan. Me too. Think you may be spot on. His loyalty and leadership has always been his strong point. His contract and the one he helped CJ get are what is keeping us from signing a star. He has to have some ownership to that Love Dame, but only if he is all in. That's how he got those big bucks
djnkosi
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#4 » by djnkosi » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:07 pm

Knicks fan here but I love the Blazers. I also know how rare it is to have a legit superstar like Dame. My take is that he wants to stay. But he also realizes that in almost a decade, management has failed to construct a viable team. Sure, injuries have killed them but still. His "noise" is him trying to put pressure on management and ownership to step it up. Milwaukee showed what can be done even in small markets when management makes bold moves and makes the right moves. Portland's leadership has grown lethargic from ownership on down. Get this man some help. That's all he's saying. Blazers fan shouldn't bail on him just yet.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,272

Post#5 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:35 pm

Clearly he is not a tier 1 player so the Blazers would be best to cut the rope and restart if he is about to start throwing his toys out of the cot. Deal him to the team that offers the most/best picks and young, promising players.
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,272

Post#6 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:37 pm

djnkosi wrote:Knicks fan here but I love the Blazers. I also know how rare it is to have a legit superstar like Dame. My take is that he wants to stay. But he also realizes that in almost a decade, management has failed to construct a viable team. Sure, injuries have killed them but still. His "noise" is him trying to put pressure on management and ownership to step it up. Milwaukee showed what can be done even in small markets when management makes bold moves and makes the right moves. Portland's leadership has grown lethargic from ownership on down. Get this man some help. That's all he's saying. Blazers fan shouldn't bail on him just yet.

Dame is not in the same stratosphere as Giannis as a player. You can't blame the Blazers (much) for not having as good of a player as Milwaukee.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#7 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:52 am

luciano-davidwesley wrote:
djnkosi wrote:Knicks fan here but I love the Blazers. I also know how rare it is to have a legit superstar like Dame. My take is that he wants to stay. But he also realizes that in almost a decade, management has failed to construct a viable team. Sure, injuries have killed them but still. His "noise" is him trying to put pressure on management and ownership to step it up. Milwaukee showed what can be done even in small markets when management makes bold moves and makes the right moves. Portland's leadership has grown lethargic from ownership on down. Get this man some help. That's all he's saying. Blazers fan shouldn't bail on him just yet.

Dame is not in the same stratosphere as Giannis as a player. You can't blame the Blazers (much) for not having as good of a player as Milwaukee.

Actually,they both have huge holes in their games... I mean massive. Dame can't defend and Giannis can't shoot. Both can be problems in the wrong situation.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:59 am

Bk68 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Deciding where you want to play is something you do before you sign that contract.... but I really hope POR trades him for a boat load of picks. No Ben Simmons please... just loads of picks.

Sounds like your a Blazer fan. Me too. Think you may be spot on. His loyalty and leadership has always been his strong point. His contract and the one he helped CJ get are what is keeping us from signing a star. He has to have some ownership to that Love Dame, but only if he is all in. That's how he got those big bucks

Yep. I really wanted them to trade CJ at the end of his last deal. His contract sealed their fate. If they trade Dame for picks, they can let CJ build his trade value as the lone star until the trade deadline. He could easily average 25/7 as the lead guard.

Return to Wiretap Discussion