Kawhi Leonard Will Listen To Offers From Rival Teams

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kawhi Leonard Will Listen To Offers From Rival Teams 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Aug 2, 2021 12:19 pm

While Kawhi Leonard is widely expected to re-sign with the Los Angeles Clippers, he is expected to listen to other offers during his free agency. Leonard declined his $36 million player option with the Clippers to become a free agent for the second time since 2019.

Leonard's decision in 2019 came down to the Clippers, Toronto Raptors and Los Angeles Lakers.

"It looks like he is expected to re-sign with the Clippers, but sources informed me that he will listen to other teams," said Chris Haynes on NBATV. "I don't expect this to be a Day 1 signing. I don't expect this to be hashed out on Day 1."

Leonard suffered a torn ACL during the second round of the playoffs and is expected to miss most, if not all, the 21-22 season. 

The New York Knicks have the most cap space to comfortably sign Leonard to a contract at his max. The Miami Heat, meanwhile, appear to be on the verge of a sign-and-trade for Kyle Lowry. The Dallas Mavericks also have interest in Leonard but they would have to clear significant cap space. 

Via Chris Haynes/Yahoo! Sports

imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Re: Kawhi Leonard Will Listen To Offers From Rival Teams 

Post#2 » by imDatknicksTape » Mon Aug 2, 2021 2:26 pm

NY Knicks do ya thang!!!!!! sign this man. We dont even know if his return can happen next season, he can return maybe by may/april 2022.
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#3 » by step3profit » Mon Aug 2, 2021 4:04 pm

Signing a 30 year old with a torn ACL who is about to miss a whole season is the literal definition of the Knicks doing their thang.
mustbeniceman
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#4 » by mustbeniceman » Mon Aug 2, 2021 4:32 pm

And when he does...get ready for all that load management crap.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#5 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 2, 2021 5:12 pm

mustbeniceman wrote:And when he does...get ready for all that load management crap.

exactly. he was my favorite player, years ago.

wouldn't touch that broken player with a 50-foot pole.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#6 » by chipchipperson » Mon Aug 2, 2021 8:00 pm

br7knicks wrote:
mustbeniceman wrote:And when he does...get ready for all that load management crap.

With all due respect fans like you are the reason stars dont want to play for the knicks. The guy has tendinopathy because he played through serious injuries for years and 50 games of kawhi is still more worthwhile than the production of literally any knick in franchise history.
br7knicks

Post#7 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 2, 2021 8:09 pm

chipchipperson wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

With all due respect fans like you are the reason stars dont want to play for the knicks. The guy has tendinopathy because he played through serious injuries for years and 50 games of kawhi is still more worthwhile than the production of literally any knick in franchise history.

i'm sure the vast majority of fans of any team would not want an injury-plagued player. allan houston was great, but i'm sure people wouldn't have wanted to extend him for very much longer.

nor do i think fans of the vast majority of teams would want a guy like kawhi because he won't be playing much, but would be eating up a lot of the cap salary that could be used for a player who would play enough to earn their contract.
RIP, magnumt '19

br7knicks

Post#8 » by br7knicks » Mon Aug 2, 2021 8:11 pm

step3profit wrote:Signing a 30 year old with a torn ACL who is about to miss a whole season is the literal definition of the Knicks doing their thang.

agreed. this would be a knicks thing to do. then the knicks fall back out of being in the playoffs for another decade or so, as they also trade a plethora, if not all, of their draft picks to bring in players to take kawhi's place when he decides to manage his load for most of his contract.
RIP, magnumt '19

Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#9 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Mon Aug 2, 2021 9:21 pm

step3profit wrote:Signing a 30 year old with a torn ACL who is about to miss a whole season is the literal definition of the Knicks doing their thang.

Didn't the Nets just do this?
Bricks
Freshman
And1: 11

Post#10 » by Bricks » Mon Aug 2, 2021 9:38 pm

‘Listen to offers’ is just him and his Uncle looking for a free trip and meals somewhere.
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#11 » by step3profit » Tue Aug 3, 2021 9:31 pm

Sweet Meat Lew wrote:

They did, and it might work out for them, but they have one major thing in their favor, which is that they are not the Knicks. When the Knicks do things like this, it never works. It's been proven by science.

In a more serious tone, KD doesn't already have a several year history of needing multi game breaks all season long. Anyone who signs Leonard is playing with fire at this point IMO. I mean, he needed breaks before turning 30 and before tearing his ACL. He is a phenomenal talent but that just isn't the kind of situation that gets more reliable.
br7knicks

Post#12 » by br7knicks » Tue Aug 3, 2021 9:36 pm

step3profit wrote:
Sweet Meat Lew wrote:

They did, and it might work out for them, but they have one major thing in their favor, which is that they are not the Knicks. When the Knicks do things like this, it never works. It's been proven by science.

In a more serious tone, KD doesn't already have a several year history of needing multi game breaks all season long. Anyone who signs Leonard is playing with fire at this point IMO. I mean, he needed breaks before turning 30 and before tearing his ACL. He is a phenomenal talent but that just isn't the kind of situation that gets more reliable.

been a knicks fan for 20 years.

RIP, magnumt '19

chipchipperson
Junior
And1: 80

Post#13 » by chipchipperson » Sun Aug 8, 2021 7:06 pm

br7knicks wrote:
chipchipperson wrote:
br7knicks wrote:

i'm sure the vast majority of fans of any team would not want an injury-plagued player. allan houston was great, but i'm sure people wouldn't have wanted to extend him for very much longer.

nor do i think fans of the vast majority of teams would want a guy like kawhi because he won't be playing much, but would be eating up a lot of the cap salary that could be used for a player who would play enough to earn their contract.

Kawhi is a generational two-way talent, allan houston was a guy who put up 20 a game one that one time. Kawhi puts the knicks in tier one in the east before he even suits up, that's more than worth the risk

Return to Wiretap Discussion