Lakers' Offer To Alex Caruso Was 'Not Close' To Chicago's

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Lakers' Offer To Alex Caruso Was 'Not Close' To Chicago's 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:14 am

The Los Angeles Lakers lost Alex Caruso to the Chicago Bulls on a four-year, $37 million deal.

"From what I have heard and from what you have heard, the Lakers' offer was not close, which belies some luxury tax concerns," said Zach Lowe to Ramona Shelburne on his podcast.

Lowe recorded the podcast before the Lakers finalized their offseason by signing Talen Horton-Tucker, Kendrick Nunn and Malik Monk to round out their backcourt.

The Lakers were able to sign Horton-Tucker to a similar offer as the Caruso one with Chicago, albeit for $7 million less over three years. Horton-Tucker also has more upside as a shot creator and is younger. 

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Re: Lakers' Offer To Alex Caruso Was 'Not Close' To Chicago's 

Post#2 » by tigerae » Wed Aug 4, 2021 2:28 am

RealGM Wiretap wrote:The Los Angeles Lakers lost Alex Caruso to the Chicago Bulls on a four-year, $37 million deal.
"From what I have heard and from what you have heard, the Lakers' offer was not close, which belies some luxury tax concerns," said Zach Lowe to Ramona Shelburne on his podcast.
Lowe recorded the podcast before the Lakers finalized their offseason by signing Talen Horton-Tucker, Kendrick Nunn and Malik Monk to round out their backcourt.
The Lakers were able to sign Horton-Tucker to a similar offer as the Caruso one with Chicago, albeit for $7 million less over three years. Horton-Tucker also has more upside as a shot creator and is younger. Via Zach Lowe/ESPN
I understand him wanting money and all, but I don't understand the Bulls as a good fit. Same with Lonzo Ball as well. Both players, at least in my opinion, need a star on the court to allow them to be more effective. I just don't see. LaVine as that type of player.
SparksAC
Junior
And1: 353

Post#3 » by SparksAC » Wed Aug 4, 2021 2:38 am

tigerae wrote:
RealGM Wiretap wrote:The Los Angeles Lakers lost Alex Caruso to the Chicago Bulls on a four-year, $37 million deal.
The Lakers were able to sign Horton-Tucker to a similar offer as the Caruso one with Chicago, albeit for $7 million less over three years. Horton-Tucker also has more upside as a shot creator and is younger. Via Zach Lowe/ESPN
I understand him wanting money and all, but I don't understand the Bulls as a good fit. Same with Lonzo Ball as well. Both players, at least in my opinion, need a star on the court to allow them to be more effective. I just don't see. LaVine as that type of player.

He already won a chip. He needs to secure as much money as possible.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#4 » by tigerae » Wed Aug 4, 2021 5:13 am

SparksAC wrote:
tigerae wrote:

Oh I get that. I wasn't expecting him to stay with the Lakers if they didn't come close, but go after the perfect situation if you're going to do that. Find a team that will allow you to continue to grow and be effective. The Bulls, to me at least with this current roster, is not it.

For Lonzo, for example, the Clippers or Celtics, or even the Sixers if they trade Simmons would have been the perfect spot for a sign and trade. Or other teams that have a solid superstar or an up and coming star like Zion could have been perfect.

For Caruso, maybe the Mavs or Blazers would have been a great fit for him to come off the bench as a spark. Otherwise, if they offered him a similar deal to THT at around 32 million and he took the extra 5 million to go to the Bulls, that's dumb. Because on the Lakers, with LeBron, AD and now Russ getting all the attention, he could have strived even more and then got an even bigger pay day later on.

As I see it now, if LaVine is their best player and he or someone else doesn't improve to being a true superstar in the league, they will both be looking at minimum contracts after their contracts are up because their numbers will fall.
Airmax3D
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#5 » by Airmax3D » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:50 am

tigerae wrote:
SparksAC wrote:
tigerae wrote:I understand him wanting money and all, but I don't understand the Bulls as a good fit. Same with Lonzo Ball as well. Both players, at least in my opinion, need a star on the court to allow them to be more effective. I just don't see. LaVine as that type of player.

Oh I get that. I wasn't expecting him to stay with the Lakers if they didn't come close, but go after the perfect situation if you're going to do that. Find a team that will allow you to continue to grow and be effective. The Bulls, to me at least with this current roster, is not it.

For Lonzo, for example, the Clippers or Celtics, or even the Sixers if they trade Simmons would have been the perfect spot for a sign and trade. Or other teams that have a solid superstar or an up and coming star like Zion could have been perfect.

For Caruso, maybe the Mavs or Blazers would have been a great fit for him to come off the bench as a spark. Otherwise, if they offered him a similar deal to THT at around 32 million and he took the extra 5 million to go to the Bulls, that's dumb. Because on the Lakers, with LeBron, AD and now Russ getting all the attention, he could have strived even more and then got an even bigger pay day later on.

As I see it now, if LaVine is their best player and he or someone else doesn't improve to being a true superstar in the league, they will both be looking at minimum contracts after their contracts are up because their numbers will fall.

Vuc is the Bulls' best player, not Lavine. Lonzo will have a blast feeding both though, and will get some rest on the creation side from Derozan. As for Caruso, you need a backup guard that can play both positions. It's a no brainer for him, it's not like there was a team willing to offer him a starting job.

Return to Wiretap Discussion