Pacers, Spurs Complete Sign And Trade For Doug McDermott

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Pacers, Spurs Complete Sign And Trade For Doug McDermott 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:29 pm

Doug McDermott was rumored to be signing with the San Antonio Spurs shortly after free agency opened. This transaction came to fruition, but in a mutually beneficial way for both the Spurs and McDermott's former team, the Indiana Pacers.

Indiana sent San Antonio a future second round pick and the rights to swap second round picks in another draft for the right to make it a sign-and-trade transaction. The Spurs still get their player, while the Pacers create a Traded Player Exception of approximately $7.4 million. And, of course, McDermott gets the full value of the contract he agreed to with San Antonio.

Turning free agent losses into sign-and-trades has become a more-common transaction in recent years. Last offseason, the Boston Celtics were able to send the Charlotte Hornets two future second round picks to turn the Gordon Hayward signing into a sign-and-trade. That transaction allowed Boston to create the largest Traded Played Exception in NBA history at $28.5 million. The Celtics used that TPE to acquire Evan Fournier at last season's trade deadline, and then the remainder to acquire Josh Richardson this offseason.

Via RealGM Staff Report

jk31
Rookie
And1: 668

Re: Pacers, Spurs Complete Sign And Trade For Doug McDermott 

Post#2 » by jk31 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:03 pm

Am i the only one thinking that the spurs got the better end of the deal?

"here, sign our Player and we give you a 2nd and the right to swap 2nds!"
can you really do that much with a 7 Mio trade exception?!
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#3 » by objectivefan » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:07 pm

jk31 wrote:Am i the only one thinking that the spurs got the better end of the deal?

they could have gotten zero if the Spurs signed him directly
jk31
Rookie
And1: 668

Post#4 » by jk31 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:51 pm

objectivefan wrote:
jk31 wrote:Am i the only one thinking that the spurs got the better end of the deal?

they could have gotten zero if the Spurs signed him directly

Yeah and my feeling says rather keep the two 2nd round Picks than get this 7 Mio trade exception.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#5 » by DickMotta4Prez » Mon Aug 9, 2021 2:13 am

I don't get why SAS wanted McBuckets. Aren't they going into a rebuild? Maybe my basketball brain isn't big enough to comprehend this deal
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
Young_Fashioned
Sophomore
And1: 164

Post#6 » by Young_Fashioned » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:07 am

DickMotta4Prez wrote:I don't get why SAS wanted McBuckets. Aren't they going into a rebuild? Maybe my basketball brain isn't big enough to comprehend this deal

Nowdays, teams won't ever try to just bottom out and be bad. They'll try to improve, even if it's just incrementally with free agent signings like Doug hence why they signed him. So much revenue comes from tickets so owners will want a sell-able product and they'll sign non-movable needlers if it mean so.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#7 » by DickMotta4Prez » Mon Aug 9, 2021 5:57 pm

I get that you have to fill out a roster and that there's a salary floor, etc. But considering SAS have let go Aldridge, Mills, DeRozan and are currently shopping Murray, it doesn't make sense going after a veteran 3pt shooter for a team that won't really compete this season. I'm guessing they're hoping McBuckets goes off like Bertrans and plan to flip him to a contender at the deadline for picks. I'm sure they've weighted the risk-reward ratio here. Outside of that, Doug McDermott isn't drawing fans to the arena for a team that was a title contender not too long ago
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.

Return to Wiretap Discussion