Grizzlies Trading Bledsoe To Clippers for Beverley, Rondo, Oturu

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Grizzlies Trading Bledsoe To Clippers for Beverley, Rondo, Oturu 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:26 am

The Memphis Grizzlies are trading guard Eric Bledsoe to the LA Clippers for guards Patrick Beverley, Rajon Rondo and center Daniel Oturu.

Memphis had acquired Bledsoe earlier this offseason in a three-team trade with the New Orleans Pelicans and Charlotte Hornets. The Grizzlies also acquired Steven Adams and the draft rights to Ziaire Williams in the deal. The Pelicans acquired Jonas Valanciunas, Devonte Graham (via sign-and-trade) and the draft rights to Trey Murphy III. Charlotte acquired Wesley Iwundu and a first round pick from New Orleans.

Beverley had played for the Clippers since 2017, when he was acquired in a trade that sent Chris Paul to the Houston Rockets. Rondo was traded to LA from the Atlanta Hawks at the 2021 trade deadline. Oturu was drafted by the Clippers at the 2020 NBA Draft.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

LAClippers4Life
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Grizzlies Trading Bledsoe To Clippers for Beverley, Rondo, Oturu 

Post#2 » by LAClippers4Life » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:49 am

ERIC BLEDSOE IS BACK!!!!! Clipper nation is gonna miss u Pat Bev - you were a straight dog for us.. :D clippers 4 life!
brooklynbrawler
Junior
And1: 350

Post#3 » by brooklynbrawler » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:56 am

Can’t say I understand this move at all from a LAC perspective
Please........... no more
The Hypnotoad
Rookie
And1: 413

Post#4 » by The Hypnotoad » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:40 am

I’m sure Rondo and Beverly will both look for buyouts and go running back to Clippers for free.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,933

Post#5 » by grumpysaddle » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:47 am

scubaslim
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#6 » by scubaslim » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:52 am

The Hypnotoad wrote:I’m sure Rondo and Beverly will both look for buyouts and go running back to Clippers for free.

That hasn't been a thing in years ...
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#7 » by Sam195 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:15 am

scubaslim wrote:
The Hypnotoad wrote:I’m sure Rondo and Beverly will both look for buyouts and go running back to Clippers for free.

The CBA from like 2 deals ago has rules that prevent players from being traded and then bought out by the acquiring team so they can then go sign with the team that traded them. It was a loophole that was abused for years infamously with Cleveland trading Big Z to the Wizards in 2010 where he never suited up for DC and negotiated a buyout to resign with the Cavs. Many owners in the League got pissed off by that likely because the Cavs at the time got better trading Big Z in the deal to get Antawn Jamison then got back what they gave up in matching salaries for nothing they resigned him for the vet's minimum.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:26 am

Doesn’t seem like a great move for the clips but who knows
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#9 » by Sam195 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:27 am

brooklynbrawler wrote:Can’t say I understand this move at all from a LAC perspective

Clippers wanted to get rid of Beverly since he shoved CP3 hard from behind in the closing game of the Western Conference Finals they clearly lost at that point. CP3 who was the President of the Players Union at the time kept his cool and I think most of the Suns franchise are aware of what happened to the team when they escalated a scuffle after a similar incident when Robert Horry hip checked Steve Nash into a scorer's table and broke his nose. Then multiple Suns players got off the bench while the game clock was still going which lead to multiple suspensions. These similar antics to higher degree by Ben Wallace led to the infamous malice in the Palace in 2004.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#10 » by tigerae » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:43 am

Sam195 wrote:
brooklynbrawler wrote:Can’t say I understand this move at all from a LAC perspective

Clippers wanted to get rid of Beverly since he shoved CP3 hard from behind in the closing game of the Western Conference Finals they clearly lost at that point. CP3 who was the President of the Players Union at the time kept his cool and I think most of the Suns franchise are aware of what happened to the team when they escalated a scuffle after a similar incident when Robert Horry hip checked Steve Nash into a scorer's table and broke his nose. Then multiple Suns players got off the bench while the game clock was still going which lead to multiple suspensions. These similar antics to higher degree by Ben Wallace led to the infamous malice in the Palace in 2004.
Nope. Just a terrible trade from the Clippers side. No way to say it otherwise. When Ball, Kemba Walker and others were available, this was just terrible. Maybe Pat alone for Bledsoe at best, but both him and Rondo is plain stupid imo.

The CP3 shove is crap. If they wanted to dump Pat just for that, they could have dumped him. Lakers didn't dump Rondo after CP3 and him got in a fist fight. To me Rondo alone is better than what Bledsoe showed last year. 30mpg, started 70 of 71 games, 12ppg, 4apg 34% from 3s. Rondo and Bev's defense prowess alone was amazing for the team.

Reggie Jackson proved he should be the starter, so what will Bledsoe give if he only gave 12ppg to NO starting. He's no playmaker, so who will run the team off the bench. Not even a pick or two back, either.

The good news from this is Rondo will likely get bought out and potentially end up back with the Lakers. But from the Clippers side there is no good news. Stupid trade.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#11 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:51 am

Incredible trade for the Clippers. They really needed a foolish team to let a good player go cheaply, and this is that trade. Bledsoe is one of the most undervalued players in the league. I always liked him a lot.

Clippers if they stay healthy will be very good this year.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#12 » by donemilio21 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:52 am

Sam195 wrote:
scubaslim wrote:

The CBA from like 2 deals ago has rules that prevent players from being traded and then bought out by the acquiring team so they can then go sign with the team that traded them. It was a loophole that was abused for years infamously with Cleveland trading Big Z to the Wizards in 2010 where he never suited up for DC and negotiated a buyout to resign with the Cavs. Many owners in the League got pissed off by that likely because the Cavs at the time got better trading Big Z in the deal to get Antawn Jamison then got back what they gave up in matching salaries for nothing they resigned him for the vet's minimum.

Celtics did that with Gary Payton too. They traded him and a first to Hawks to get Antoine Walker. Hawks waived him few days later, and two days after that he signed with Celtics. he never suited for the Hawks.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#13 » by BigHustle » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:01 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Incredible trade for the Clippers. They really needed a foolish team to let a good player go cheaply, and this is that trade. Bledsoe is one of the most undervalued players in the league. I always liked him a lot.

Boston fans everywhere: “Who is Bledsoe?”
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#14 » by tigerae » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:49 am

BigHustle wrote:
IWishIWasHarden wrote:Incredible trade for the Clippers. They really needed a foolish team to let a good player go cheaply, and this is that trade. Bledsoe is one of the most undervalued players in the league. I always liked him a lot.

Boston fans everywhere: “Who is Bledsoe?”

Bledsoe is no longer underrated. He hasn't been since his days with the Suns. Maybe if he comes in to training camp in shape and ready to go, but his stats have declined the last 3 years in a row with last year being the worse since his Clipper days. Again, I don't like the trade at all. Makes them much weaker defensively and I don't see him being a spark like Lou was off the bench.

The only thing I can see is Mann getting more minutes now, but then get a pick or two in the trade if you're not getting an upgrade. /shrug
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,936

Post#15 » by tmorgan » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:21 am

Sam195 wrote:

You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about regarding Big Ben. Good gracious.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#16 » by Vegeta10176 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:04 am

LAClippers4Life wrote:ERIC BLEDSOE IS BACK!!!!! Clipper nation is gonna miss u Pat Bev - you were a straight dog for us.. :D clippers 4 life!

When a second why did you become a clippers fan?

Return to Wiretap Discussion