Lakers Trade Marc Gasol To Grizzlies, Will Be Waived

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Lakers Trade Marc Gasol To Grizzlies, Will Be Waived 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:45 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed to trade Marc Gasol, a 2024 second round pick and cash to the Memphis Grizzlies for the draft rights to Wang Zhelin.

The deal saves the Lakers $10 million in salary and luxury tax expenditures. 

Gasol and the Grizzlies will work on a buyout and release to allow him to remain in Spain.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Re: Lakers Trade Marc Gasol To Grizzlies, Will Be Waived 

Post#2 » by FreeBoosie » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:10 pm

So that's why poor Jahlil got waived
UnkleL
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#3 » by UnkleL » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:35 pm

Exactly. Nets and Lakers just swapping centers.
TMac Culloch
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#4 » by TMac Culloch » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:27 pm

The same week they decide to retire Allen and Zbos numbers they trade for possibly their best player ever and just waive him???
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#5 » by bqmuzik » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:37 pm

This franchise really just dumps players like trash dont they?

Clearly they have a formula that works because they win championships, but you can't build any kind of emotional connection to any of the players because they just swap em out like socks. More power to Laker fans but i cant see how you can really enjoy being a fan unless you are just a shallow human being. No loyalty whatsoever.
rgm70
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#6 » by rgm70 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:28 pm

bqmuzik wrote:This franchise really just dumps players like trash dont they?

Clearly they have a formula that works because they win championships, but you can't build any kind of emotional connection to any of the players because they just swap em out like socks. More power to Laker fans but i cant see how you can really enjoy being a fan unless you are just a shallow human being. No loyalty whatsoever.

Kobe 20 years on the lakers. Yeah, they just swap everyone and have no loyalty... LOL!!!
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#7 » by anatomicbomb » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:29 pm

TMac Culloch wrote:The same week they decide to retire Allen and Zbos numbers they trade for possibly their best player ever and just waive him???

Exactly, well put. It looks bad for the team. That said, it looks like this was agreed on by Gasol and the Grizz, per Woj's tweet: "Gasol and Grizzlies will work together on waiver and release to allow him to remain in Spain w/ family." So I guess there will be a proper announcement once they waiver gets processed, but it hasn't yet, and that's why it looks bad now.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#8 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:25 pm

TMac Culloch wrote:The same week they decide to retire Allen and Zbos numbers they trade for possibly their best player ever and just waive him???

It's what Gasol wants though?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#9 » by Rek » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:59 am

Pretty clear you didn't read the article.

No one needs to feel sorry for Marc. He gets his salary to sit at home with the fam, just like he wanted.
jk31
Rookie
And1: 668

Post#10 » by jk31 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:08 am

dougthonus wrote:

It's what Gasol wants though?

especially as Gasol now basically retire as a grizzly.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#11 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:42 am

After you catch your breath.....read the article. The Grizz are buying him out, so he can remain in Spain (what he wants). It allowed him to retire as a Grizzly. This was a class act by both teams involved so the player could remain at home with his family.

Settle down Beevis.
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 240

Post#12 » by Risk Addict » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:56 am

Can someone with understanding of grizzlies cap situation explain why this makes sense for them? How much did this late second round pick in 3 years actually cost them?

Not understanding why grizzlies and pistons are bending over backwards to help Lakers and nets out of very expensive contracts for late late second round picks.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#13 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:06 am

Risk Addict wrote:Not understanding why grizzlies and pistons are bending over backwards to help Lakers and nets out of very expensive contracts for late late second round picks.

Jeez, there are some people who really just gotta find the **** side to everything Lakers, eh? Dude...the guy's making 2.7 which is the Vets min (2.64...but I assume they are rounding). It saves the Lakers a ton, as they are so over the cap. But for the record....Marc is still in Spain. He wants to stay in Spain and play/retire there, and stay with his family. So he was gonna quit anyhow, and it woulda come off the Lakers books either way.

Again...this was just two teams sorting it out, so he could "retire" a Grizzly. It's a "smile for humanity" moment, and then we all get on with our day.
Risk Addict
Analyst

Post#14 » by Risk Addict » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:05 pm

But if the Lakers just waive him, they pay the 10 million tax. That money then gets divided amongst the non tax paying teams. I don’t know pistons and grizzlies cap situation, hence the post, but I would assume they’d get money disbursement from the league if nets and Lakers paid the tax.

Seems foolish for these smaller market teams to continue to give these free agent destination teams an escape clause from their contracts for a worthless late second round pick. Look at the success rate of picks in the 55-60 range over the last decade. It is terrible.

In my mind I don’t get it from grizzlies perspective. I’m sure it makes some sorta sense from a cap standpoint, like they need to spend above an apron or something. I just need someone smart in the ways of cap to wxplain it to me!
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#15 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:07 pm

Risk Addict wrote:Can someone with understanding of grizzlies cap situation explain why this makes sense for them? How much did this late second round pick in 3 years actually cost them?

Not understanding why grizzlies and pistons are bending over backwards to help Lakers and nets out of very expensive contracts for late late second round picks.

Expensive contract it was 2.6mil.. What crack are you smoking.. Please stop being so ignorant..
Risk Addict
Analyst

Post#16 » by Risk Addict » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:08 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Risk Addict wrote:Can someone with understanding of grizzlies cap situation explain why this makes sense for them? How much did this late second round pick in 3 years actually cost them?

Expensive contract it was 2.6mil.. What crack are you smoking.. Please stop being so ignorant..

10 million tax hit. Deandre jordan same story more money. Keep up
coolbyme
Junior
And1: 48

Post#17 » by coolbyme » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:30 pm

Maybe he'd be amenable to returning to the raps to mentor our bigs for a year. He was the smartest big we've ever had. I didn't appreciate him when he was here winning chips, but I certainly missed him when Aaron Baynes was bricking passes. Marc Gasol is a legend, bring him back to TO if he wants it.
random_hero891
Rookie
And1: 810

Post#18 » by random_hero891 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:47 am

coolbyme wrote:Maybe he'd be amenable to returning to the raps to mentor our bigs for a year. He was the smartest big we've ever had. I didn't appreciate him when he was here winning chips, but I certainly missed him when Aaron Baynes was bricking passes. Marc Gasol is a legend, bring him back to TO if he wants it.

It's pretty class to retire where he started, especially in an exchange from LA.

Return to Wiretap Discussion