Cavaliers To Sign Denzel Valentine To Two-Year Contract

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Cavaliers To Sign Denzel Valentine To Two-Year Contract 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:07 am

The Cleveland Cavaliers are signing wing Denzel Valentine to a two-year contract. The deal will be partially guaranteed for Valentine.

Cleveland has been looking to add wing depth all season and has landed some help with Valentine. The 6'6'' wing played the first five years of his career with the Chicago Bulls. Valentine played last season after signing his qualifying offer from Chicago.

Valentine showed promise as a second-year player when he averaged 10.2 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game. He then missed the entire 2018-19 season after reconstructive surgery on his ankle. After returning in 2019-20, Valentine saw his role reduced.

With the Cavs, Valentine should compete for minutes at both small forward and shooting guard. Cleveland's primary player at those spots is second-year player Isaac Okoro. Cedi Osman is the Cavaliers other main small forward, and he's disappointed in recent seasons.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

anomani786
Ballboy
And1: 3

Re: Cavaliers To Sign Denzel Valentine To Two-Year Contract 

Post#2 » by anomani786 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:34 pm

Didn't this man get cooked by Frank Nitty in the Drew League?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#3 » by dougthonus » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:48 pm

anomani786 wrote:Didn't this man get cooked by Frank Nitty in the Drew League?

Yes.

I will say this, Denzel was on my team, I'm not sad to see him go even in the slightest. That said, I wouldn't worry about him getting roasted in the Drew League. It was Franky Nitty's 5 minutes of fame and likely an irrelevant warm up for Denzel.

He can shoot, pass, rebound, and handle the ball a bit. If he had any athleticism and could stay health or defend a post (or Franky Nitty) then he could have actually been a pretty good player. As it stands, he could still be a situationally useful player as a vet min guy at the end of the bench if his knees hold up.

While I'm glad to be rid of him, had I not had to spend a 1st on him, I wouldn't mind him as a vet min guy. He seems like a good fit as a modern day wing that can shoot, dribble enough, and move the ball. Obviously serious flaws, but that is true of any vet min guy.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 242

Post#4 » by cavs4872 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:15 pm

We needed a guy like this so bad... Cavs are so desperate for wings.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#5 » by donaldtrump_00 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:55 am

Good shooter, very high confidence. Bad decisions time to time. If on fire will be a spark plug. To slow and not athletic enough o maximize his talent. Denzel and Lauri can make a case for being Chicago's best 3pt shooters
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,622

Post#7 » by dougthonus » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:06 pm

donaldtrump_00 wrote:Good shooter, very high confidence. Bad decisions time to time. If on fire will be a spark plug. To slow and not athletic enough o maximize his talent. Denzel and Lauri can make a case for being Chicago's best 3pt shooters

Zach LaVine is pretty clearly their best 3 point shooter. He has the highest percentage AND takes the highest degree of difficulty threes AND had the highest volume of threes. It isn't even close.

You can definitely make the case for Lauri as #2 (though there would be several viable guys here), because he had the 2nd highest percentage and hit a high volume, but he took almost exclusively open catch and shoot threes which are the lowest degree of difficulty shot (though his height allowed him to get more of those than most guys could which is a benefit).

Denzel was 14th on the team in three point percentage, hard to argue he's anything other than a scrub even if it was a bad shooting year for him.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Wiretap Discussion