Board Of Governors To Vote On Eliminating Out-Of-Bounds Call Reviews

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Board Of Governors To Vote On Eliminating Out-Of-Bounds Call Reviews 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:13 am

The NBA's Board of Governors will vote to approve the Coach's Challenge being the lone method to review out-of-bounds calls with under two minutes remaining in games. This will eliminate close out-of-bounds calls being automatically triggered for officials. 

The NBA has had a surge of games be prolonged beyond a reasonable duration due to a number of out-of-bounds calls.

The final 90 seconds of Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals between the Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Clippers took 33 real time minutes to complete. The last 9.2 seconds of the game took 20 minutes to complete. 

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,148

Re: Board Of Governors To Vote On Eliminating Out-Of-Bounds Call Reviews 

Post#2 » by Darthlukey » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:57 am

If length of game is an issue, they could shrink T/O duration to the minute that its meant to be, rather than 3 minutes for most T/O (I know I know, ad revenue)
slay25
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#3 » by slay25 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:05 am

Darthlukey wrote:If length of game is an issue, they could shrink T/O duration to the minute that its meant to be, rather than 3 minutes for most T/O (I know I know, ad revenue)

the NBA is nothing more than advertising at this point. the amount of commercials is a joke and the game is purely about stats and accomplishments. if anyone thinks the game is more fun to watch today they haven’t watched basketball for more than 5 years. it’s politics and BS and money. the NBA is dead.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#4 » by tigerae » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:32 am

Instead of eliminating, how about changing it so someone from Secaucus reviews out of bounds plays and just tells the refs the outcome. Most of the time you can see what the call should be within 30 seconds once you find the right angle to review it.

The reason they take so long is because the 3 refs want to each see it, then talk to the officials in Secaucus and then finally the 3 refs have one more pow wow to decide the call. Just have an official do it in the studio and tell the refs what the call is.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#5 » by BigHustle » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:41 pm

tigerae wrote:Instead of eliminating, how about changing it so someone from Secaucus reviews out of bounds plays and just tells the refs the outcome. Most of the time you can see what the call should be within 30 seconds once you find the right angle to review it.

The reason they take so long is because the 3 refs want to each see it, then talk to the officials in Secaucus and then finally the 3 refs have one more pow wow to decide the call. Just have an official do it in the studio and tell the refs what the call is.

This. By giving the league replay and then taking it away it will magnify the unhappiness.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#6 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:18 pm

On Youtube I see adds for as little as 5 seconds and I know what the product is. Today's audience does not need 1 minute to appreciate a product. The NBA should value its product and sell 15 seconds during the last two minutes for the same amount they get for a minute. Three 15 second messages will be watched by the audience instead of half of them leaving to take a piss or visit the fridge. Blow the fricken whistle 10 seconds before the commercials end so that everyone is in place when the TV audience returns.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#7 » by njknicks » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:41 pm

It is high team that the league fully immerse themselves into the most latest / modern technology :

* RFID chips to track ball movement
* sideline trip lasers for out of bounds
* virtual reality of courts ( like cricket does with their replays )
* live health tracking of players ( heart rates, miles ran )
* Artificial Intelligence coaches / plays ( about time coaches use ipads )

All of this and more can be simulated / tested in the G-league before launching it in the NBA.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#8 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:56 am

They should allow timeout calls while the player is in the air again

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Wiretap Discussion