Ben Simmons Won't Report To Camp, Intends To Never Play For 76ers Again

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Re: Ben Simmons Won't Report To Camp, Intends To Never Play For 76ers Again 

Post#21 » by ccvle » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:22 pm

Can someone confirm if he's still getting paid? I understand players rights but I just can't imagine any contract out there that would allow one party to get pat without atleast putting in minimum effort ( I.e., showing up).
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#22 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:44 am

ccvle wrote:Can someone confirm if he's still getting paid? I understand players rights but I just can't imagine any contract out there that would allow one party to get pat without atleast putting in minimum effort ( I.e., showing up).

Say hello to Timofey Mozgov and Gilbert Arenas...

And that's just 2 off the top of my head from the Magic...
ccvle
Head Coach
And1: 1,714

Post#23 » by ccvle » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:53 am

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:
ccvle wrote:Can someone confirm if he's still getting paid? I understand players rights but I just can't imagine any contract out there that would allow one party to get pat without atleast putting in minimum effort ( I.e., showing up).

Say hello to Timofey Mozgov and Gilbert Arenas...

And that's just 2 off the top of my head from the Magic...

I don't see how those two are remotely similar. Those two players were injured. They didn't refuse to show up or play. James harden showed up to camp out of shape and disinterested but atleast he was physically there.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:02 am

It's called guaranteed contracts my man... iirc NFL used to have them, until Terrell Owen's. Or somewhere around there.

To answer your question though. They can fine him his league salary, per game, however they can't touch his endorsement deals. So it's a monumentally stupid game of chicken, which will sour the entire franchise for another few decades as zero players will want to play for a franchise that treats their players so poorly...

I sincerely hope that you are not a 6ers fan. What their management did here is 1,000 times worse than what Otis and Stan did with the Dwightmare...

What a cluster.... Smh
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:07 am

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:It's called guaranteed contracts my man... iirc NFL used to have them, until Terrell Owen's. Or somewhere around there.

To answer your question though. They can fine him his league salary, per game, however they can't touch his endorsement deals. So it's a monumentally stupid game of chicken, which will sour the entire franchise for another few decades as zero players (or more importantly agents) will want to play for a franchise that treats their players so poorly...

I sincerely hope that you are not a 6ers fan. What their management did here is 1,000 times worse than what Otis and Stan did with the Dwightmare...

What a cluster.... Smh
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:08 am

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:It's called guaranteed contracts my man... iirc NFL used to have them, until Terrell Owen's. Or somewhere around there.

To answer your question though. They can fine him his league salary, per game, however they can't touch his endorsement deals. So it's a monumentally stupid game of chicken, which will sour the entire franchise for another few decades as zero players (or more importantly agents) will want to play for a franchise that treats their players so poorly...

What a cluster.... Smh
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:09 am

Not sure how I triple posted while editing my post... My bad, I guess.
nguyen925
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#28 » by nguyen925 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:19 am

I loved Daryl Morey when he was with the Rockets, but it was troubling at times when he would trade for players or trade players regardless of how anyone felt.

I'm not surprised that he's finally getting kind of screwed with the 76ers now though :(
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#29 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:38 am

Well give em back Dwight
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#30 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:47 am

meekrab wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
DeBouillon wrote:
That may end up being the outcome. Regardless I think I speak for everyone that I hope this drama ends soon.

Wall makes $11M more than Simmons this season. I am not a Simmons believer, but he is far better than Wall at this point. That trade makes no sense for PHI. Besides, HOU already didn't want Simmons.

Houston not liking a Simmons + whatever package for James Harden doesn't mean they don't want Simmons at all. For Wall and a pick they'd surely do it yesterday.

You think PHI is going to send Simmons and a pick to take on Wall's contract? HOU would be sending the pick out, and PHI says "no chance."
In that scenario HOU would be saving $11M, getting the better player and getting a pick. Of course they would say yes to that. But that's too ridiculous to talk about.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#31 » by alienpick » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:59 am

objectivefan wrote:
Billl wrote:Hope he uses that extra time to work on his free throws.

Seriously though, what are the sixers thinking? Bash the guy publicly and then just let this thing drag out all summer? it's not like the offers are going to get better when he starts skipping camp.

your boss tells you that you suck and that we are better off without you.

How the heck do you show up the next day and do your job as if nothing happened? even if you show up, do you really go the extra mile for the company?

provided that you are "skilled labor" and can find a job anywhere, most people would leave.

I know that Ben has a contract but how do the sixers expect him to show up and give his all?

Doc: OK Ben, let's hustle back on defense, we are in this together and need to cover for each other.
Ben: umm.. yeah.

That's a loser mentality. Someone says you suck so you shrink away and go home? You're gonna just give your power away like that? How about you show up the next day and prove them wrong? That's how winning is done.

MJ & Simmons; "That's when I took it personally.." Difference is: MJ goes out and destroys them, Simmons takes his ball and goes home. See the difference?

The 76ers (and every other team) should look at this and realize he doesn't have the right mentality. (Really the first sign should have been that he hasn't bothered developing a shot). Trade him off to a team with other mentally weak and lazy players.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,929

Post#32 » by meekrab » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:03 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
meekrab wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Wall makes $11M more than Simmons this season. I am not a Simmons believer, but he is far better than Wall at this point. That trade makes no sense for PHI. Besides, HOU already didn't want Simmons.

Houston not liking a Simmons + whatever package for James Harden doesn't mean they don't want Simmons at all. For Wall and a pick they'd surely do it yesterday.

You think PHI is going to send Simmons and a pick to take on Wall's contract?

That's not what I said at all.
Lee in Oregon
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#33 » by Lee in Oregon » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:24 am

If Doc had kept his big mouth shut, this wouldn't be happening. Embid's prime is shrinking, won't be long till he demands out. Busted Process....
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#34 » by LakersLegacy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:25 am

Doc threw made him the whipping boy and threw him under the bus. I’d leave too. Doc was an idiot in those interviews and was a horrible boss
Salty1
Senior
And1: 81

Post#35 » by Salty1 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:21 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I don't get why the Sixers don't offer Simmons to Houston for Wall and a pick.

Well for starters they drafted Jalen Green, they also have Kevin Porter Jr, adding Ben Simmons would make ZERO sense.

Green and KPJ are both known for their scoring ability and with ben being able to not only distribute at the highest of levels, but also being an elite defender.. he would actually compliment this team brilliantly.. not to even mention the speed. However, it's highly unlikely the Rockets will have enough assets to pull something like this off.. also makes zero sense for them to be trading away draft picks.

I expect Sacremento to make a run at Simmons in large part to their absurd amount of role players.. if they can build a trio of Simmons, Fox and Haliburton.. they're going to do that.

Golden state is a super obvious landing spot.. not sure theres a better fit for Simmons either. To be surrounded by elite snipers would certainly open the floor for him offensively. I'm not sure Morey would be dumb enough to send him to GS.

Portland makes a very compelling offer of CJ McCollum who would fit brilliantly with Embiid, however the teams assists and defense would plummet.. maybe Robert Covington is added to the deal, but that would mean losing Seth Curry.. I wouldnt do that.

Toronto can make an offer around Pascal Siakim or Fred VanVleet. I'm not sure Masai Ujiri would risk his reputation over Simmons, so hes definitely going to get a real sweet deal if anything is done here.

New York can make an interesting offer around the deadline of some hard nosed vets, with things finally trending in the right direction for them.. it will be interesting if they pull their classic Knick tactics of going on all on second tier stars.

Most likely he will be dealt West. I've got Portland as his most likely destination.
pilkoids
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,326

Post#36 » by pilkoids » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:49 pm

Employer puts employee on performance improvement plan, employee refuses and won't show up to work.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#37 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:17 pm

Aha! Now it all makes sense. Now its the missing piece that fits.
Why? Why would Denver waste all that money on Aaron Gordon? Why pay him that much? Trust me, The Nuggets are goin in for Ben Simmons
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#38 » by Simmons25 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:28 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:Daryl Morey... genius GM. Only took him less than a year to create a dumpster fire in Philly. Meanwhile, Houston Rockets have an exciting young team that's going to be fun to watch grow. Morey and Sam Presti have to be the 2 most overrated GMs the league has ever had.

Agreed not to mention they got probably the most overrated coach in the NBA as well Doc Rivers. The process failed spectacularly.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#39 » by Billl » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:36 pm

There are fines for missing training camp, media day etc. The real big dollars don't kick in until a player starts sitting out real games. Of course, most teams aren't going to do that because the player can just show up to the game, become a major distraction, and hurt the team even worse than just staying at home.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#40 » by dougthonus » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:58 pm

Parataxis wrote:I know if the 76ers just choose to sit him, he still gets paid. What about if he refuses to report?

In that case, do they save the $$$? I'm assuming it will still count against their cap regardless?

I believe they have the option to not pay him, but the money would still count against the cap unless they void his deal, but they clearly won't do that because they can get some value for trading him. Whether they execute that option to not pay him is dicey. He can just report and cause a huge distraction and play badly (like James Harden did).
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Wiretap Discussion