Ben Simmons' Camp Expects To Receive $8.25M Due Friday Either Now Or Eventually

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Ben Simmons' Camp Expects To Receive $8.25M Due Friday Either Now Or Eventually 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Oct 1, 2021 3:29 pm

Ben Simmons is due 25 percent of his 21-22 salary on Friday, which approximately $8.25 million.

Whether or not the Philadelphia 76ers decide to pay him that amount as Simmons continues his holdout, a source tells Marc Stein of Substack that his camp believes he'll ultimately get the money either after a trade or a separate resolution.

Simmons has already been fined by the 76ers for not reporting to camp.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Re: Ben Simmons' Camp Expects To Receive $8.25M Due Friday Either Now Or Eventually 

Post#2 » by RipCityKJ » Fri Oct 1, 2021 3:41 pm

I hope they never give him a dime, he's not good enough to get away with superstar demands. Make a free throw or any kind of jumper and maybe he might have some leverage but a guy who can't shoot, is a late game liability and has the attitude of a cocky 13 year old has no room to make demands. Any player who really never improves or works on their imperfections because they think they don't have to should be the ball boy not the starting point guard, he's not Iverson his ass needs to practice!
OogaBooga
Freshman
And1: 17

Re: Ben Simmons' Camp Expects To Receive $8.25M Due Friday Either Now Or Eventually 

Post#3 » by OogaBooga » Fri Oct 1, 2021 3:47 pm

I would like to think no other NBA team is going to want him after pulling this ****.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#4 » by Cookin Baskets » Fri Oct 1, 2021 3:54 pm

Philly Fans: **** You Ben Simmons you'd rather leave then work on your jumper because you can't handle the criticism. :naaa:
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#5 » by Snakebites » Fri Oct 1, 2021 3:57 pm

Honestly, I still had a glimmer of respect when I thought he was genuinely willing to forgo pay to get what he wanted.

But to see a guy making millions expect to continue to be paid when he's not honoring his contract and rendering the services he agreed to render when he signed that contract...yikes.

Some NBA players are just so entitled and out of touch with what most human beings on this planet have to go through...
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#6 » by objectivefan » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:26 pm

Snakebites wrote:Honestly, I still had a glimmer of respect when I thought he was genuinely willing to forgo pay to get what he wanted.

But to see a guy making millions expect to continue to be paid when he's not honoring his contract and rendering the services he agreed to render when he signed that contract...yikes.

Some NBA players are just so entitled and out of touch with what most human beings on this planet have to go through...

your position is illogical! Ben can expect whatever he wants. It is up to the Sixers to decide If to pay him or not.

Why are you upset at Ben? He asked to be traded (which is his right).
RedSalsa
Sophomore
And1: 85

Post#7 » by RedSalsa » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:28 pm

Lol

Good luck with that Benita
rasta_marley
Starter
And1: 509

Post#8 » by rasta_marley » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:28 pm

He wants to not go to the camp fine.... but he expects to still be paid? That's ridiculous, can't be true.
Heej wrote:And tbh I'm not entirely convinced MJ wasn't just the 90s version of KD.

:lol:
objectivefan
Junior

Post#9 » by objectivefan » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:29 pm

OogaBooga wrote:I would like to think no other NBA team is going to want him after pulling this ****.

I would argue that there are teams lining up trade for him. Provided that they are buying at a "discount", then why not?

Doc and Embiid threw him under the bus in public for no reason. Usually, this stuff is kept in-house and the media is given some answer like "We all need to improve"
objectivefan
Junior

Post#10 » by objectivefan » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:32 pm

rasta_marley wrote:He wants to not go to the camp fine.... but he expects to still be paid? That's ridiculous, can't be true.

some people ask for a divorce and expect to receive alimony for life.

not the same thing but I am pointing out that people expect many things in life, and usually we let the courts sort out the details.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:33 pm

objectivefan wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Honestly, I still had a glimmer of respect when I thought he was genuinely willing to forgo pay to get what he wanted.

your position is illogical! Ben can expect whatever he wants. It is up to the Sixers to decide If to pay him or not.

I have no problem with a trade request.

Refusing to render the services agreed to in a contract and still feeling entitled to the team honoring said contract? Nope.
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 240

Post#12 » by Risk Addict » Fri Oct 1, 2021 4:56 pm

Being healthy and refusing to play is a contract breach. Sizers will not pay him. Just incentivized the behavior they are being screwed by right now. Best way for GMs to lose any leverage they have remaining is to still honor a contract which the players aren’t
dzumaal
Junior
And1: 324

Post#13 » by dzumaal » Fri Oct 1, 2021 5:43 pm

Imagine he would've man upped and entered the training camp and even played while still asking for a trade..

Instead you make yourself arguably the most hated/ridiculed player in the league and an unwanted one in the eyes of many teams who probably could've traded for you.

Well handled.
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,229

Post#14 » by The Lamma » Fri Oct 1, 2021 5:46 pm

Message from Mr Hand to the Simmons camp:

The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,229

Post#15 » by The Lamma » Fri Oct 1, 2021 5:59 pm

He is either A) even more delusional that we thought, or...

B) He is trying to become so objectionable that he is lowering his trade value on purpose. That would benefit him on multiple levels. 1 It makes the Sixers more eager to move him. 2 The less the trading team has to give away, the more it keeps his new team as strong as possible. And 3 More teams will be available to meet the asking price, which has been absurdly high and unrealistic so far.

It's so wacky to expect to get paid after making his intentions known, I think scenario B might be what's going on. It sucks when douchey behavior gets rewarded in either case.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#16 » by Billl » Fri Oct 1, 2021 6:06 pm

The CBA spells out penalties for missing games, media days, training camp etc. Philli still has to pay him and then they can fine him for whatever he skips. The fines are actually more than his entire salary if he wants to keep it up all year. They can't just fine him for 25% of the season because they think he might skip future games though.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#17 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 7:04 pm

Well, they owe him the money. "His camp" just expects they will get the money they are owed, eventually, just like they expect to pay fines.

This is a non story that the 76ers put out to create drama.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#18 » by slicedbread2 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 7:07 pm

Snakebites wrote:
objectivefan wrote:

I have no problem with a trade request.

Refusing to render the services agreed to in a contract and still feeling entitled to the team honoring said contract? Nope.

It's got me thinking of Kwame Brown and how he was asked about Ben Simmons and the recent actions surrounding him and he made it pretty simple and was straightforward about it:

1) Show up to training camp. Yes it's not the ideal situation right now, but by not showing up you are not only burning bridges, but you could potentially be alienating teams that may have had interest in trading for you.
2) Get your money. By not showing up at all the team can't fine him yet but they could eventually fine him and suspend him w/o pay for conduct detrimental to the team. This will result in money that should've been in your pocket not being there.
3) Reputation. By not showing up and carrying the antics he's been doing, numerous teams going forward that may/still have an interest in him will be leery of him. He has to hold up his end of the contract like the way a businessperson would and by not fulfilling his obligations it is a horrible stain that will not come off for a long time.

You'd think that after what happened if he truly wanted out of Philly he or his team would be smarter than this, but it's just made things worse and he's only hurting himself in the end.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#19 » by Snakebites » Fri Oct 1, 2021 7:56 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

Well, they owe him the money. "His camp" just expects they will get the money they are owed, eventually, just like they expect to pay fines.

But is he "owed" the money if he's not holding up his end of the contract?

I'd say the answer is categorically no.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,556

Post#20 » by Harry Garris » Fri Oct 1, 2021 8:27 pm

Snakebites wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

But is he "owed" the money if he's not holding up his end of the contract?

I'd say the answer is categorically no.

The Sixers have to put the withheld 8.25 million in a holding account and Ben will receive it eventually if he does show up. However, the 76ers are permitted to fine him $227,000 per game that he misses. That will add up to the Sixers recouping around $20 million of the contract by the end of the season in the worst case scenario where Ben Simmons holds out all year.

Return to Wiretap Discussion