Re: 76ers Won't Pay Ben Simmons $8.25M Currently Due

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

76ers Won't Pay Ben Simmons $8.25M Currently Due 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Oct 1, 2021 6:32 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers do not intend to pay Ben Simmons the $8.25 million due on Friday, sources tell Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report.

Via Jake Fischer/Bleacher Report

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#2 » by The_Hater » Fri Oct 1, 2021 7:31 pm

I do love how he and his agent are still expecting that check while holding out.

Big, big, big sets of balls there.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#3 » by IWishIWasHarden » Fri Oct 1, 2021 7:34 pm

We don't care what he expects.

We care about the facts. Is he owed it or not?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,753

Post#4 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 1, 2021 7:57 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:We don't care what he expects.

We care about the facts. Is he owed it or not?

He's not owed it if he doesn't show up, but this is really a lose/lose for Philly.

If they force him to show up to get it, he can show up and just poison the team. He can go through all the legally required motions while destroying whatever environment they have left.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,193

Post#5 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Oct 1, 2021 8:06 pm

Simmons and Rich Paul are both totally unprofessional clowns. :noway:
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#6 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 8:06 pm

Can he just report to camp over a zoom meeting, get the 8m then leave?
digcom99
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#7 » by digcom99 » Fri Oct 1, 2021 8:10 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:Can he just report to camp over a zoom meeting, get the 8m then leave?

But for a zoom meeting to work, Philly would have to turn on their camera.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Fri Oct 1, 2021 8:53 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:Can he just report to camp over a zoom meeting, get the 8m then leave?

Nah, no more than you or I can show up to work at 9am and leave at 9:01 and get paid. It's not the 'reporting to camp' he's in breach of, it's the whole camp and the rest of the job of a NBA player.

But there are definite workarounds that he and Klutch will try now, in the hopes of getting Philly to look bad and just give him his money (or accelerate his trade). Even if Simmons loses those moves, there's not much of a win here for Philly. Simmons aint gonna get happier, and they just have to wait it out until they get a decent offer or get tired of nothing.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#9 » by Indeed » Fri Oct 1, 2021 8:57 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:Simmons and Rich Paul are both totally unprofessional clowns. :noway:

Well, didn't Rivers start this first? And the Philly media also calling Simmons garbage.
So who is right and who is wrong? Is Rivers professional? Are the media professional?

I am not a Simmons fan, but to be fair, he seems to be a victim as well.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#10 » by hyberx » Fri Oct 1, 2021 9:05 pm

It's a catch 22 and either way 76ers lose. If they pay him now, they are basically saying that not reporting to the team is fine, which sets a bad precedent. Now they that stop paying him, they are further damaging that relationship and no way Simmons will help them on a deal. Let's face it, Simmons will get his money either way. If 76ers does not pay him now, whichever team trades for him will pay him that money or demand 76ers pay him as part of the deal.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#11 » by phillynative » Fri Oct 1, 2021 9:17 pm

Indeed wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Simmons and Rich Paul are both totally unprofessional clowns. :noway:

Well, didn't Rivers start this first? And the Philly media also calling Simmons garbage.
So who is right and who is wrong? Is Rivers professional? Are the media professional?

Lol he's not a victim
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Oct 1, 2021 9:47 pm

phillynative wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Lol he's not a victim

How much crap has been said about DeRozan in the past three seasons. Dude just put his head down, played ball and earned his next contract. Simmons needs to shut his mouth and go to work. He can ask for a trade, but in the meantime he needs to show it on the court.
zettapixel
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#13 » by zettapixel » Fri Oct 1, 2021 9:53 pm

hyberx wrote:Now they that stop paying him, they are further damaging that relationship and no way Simmons will help them on a deal.

I don't think it's possible to damage it further :lol: A player saying I'm not playing for you... some relationship... And how is he helping them on a deal now?
hyberx wrote:If 76ers does not pay him now, whichever team trades for him will pay him that money or demand 76ers pay him as part of the deal.

Well, that's what may be different here. If there is no good deal to be made there will be no deal, and if he doesn't play he won't get paid... 4 years of that, good luck.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 1, 2021 9:58 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

Nah, no more than you or I can show up to work at 9am and leave at 9:01 and get paid. It's not the 'reporting to camp' he's in breach of, it's the whole camp and the rest of the job of a NBA player.

Yeah, but once the money changes hands it would be really hard to get back. If he reports, for 2 weeks say, and hten gets the money, then doesn't come back, good luck with Philly getting that 8M back.

As I said earlier though, the problem isn't that. HE can come to camp. Not say a single word to anyone. Go through the motions of what they ask him to do. Play badly. And hten he is due his money and he not only will get paid but he will also tank Philly's season, and they will just send him home and pay him instead.

In the end, I'd be shocked if Philly doesn't pay him.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#15 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:01 pm

zettapixel wrote:Well, that's what may be different here. If there is no good deal to be made there will be no deal, and if he doesn't play he won't get paid... 4 years of that, good luck.

It won't come to that though. Eventually he'll show up and just tank the crap out of his play like James Harden did and then Houston just sent him home when passes were bouncing off his head in games because he wasn't paying attention. Simmons can be forced to play or not get paid, but he can't be forced to play well or care or make your team better. He will just show up and make the situation untenable then get sent home and collect his money.
@doug_thonus on twitter
zettapixel
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#16 » by zettapixel » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:06 pm

Indeed wrote:I am not a Simmons fan, but to be fair, he seems to be a victim as well.

NBA is a big stage and the players get all the benefits of that, with shoe deals, ad money, huge contracts and so forth. To put it simply, that's what his huge income and celebrity status are coming from, being public. Now that someone criticizes him in public he's saying "I'm not doing what I signed up for?" Tough ****, called real life, all of us do much worse :lol:
Everybody feels like a victim sometimes, dealing with it is a basic life skill. Klutch is teaching him the opposite. It's all about the power, not feelings.
Indeed wrote:Well, didn't Rivers start this first? And the Philly media also calling Simmons garbage.

Rivers? Rivers covered for this dude the whole season while he hasn't learned a bit of shooting. Everybody in the media attacked Simmons for that all year, but not Rivers and not other 76s. No, I think this situation is really on Ben...
Indeed
RealGM

Post#17 » by Indeed » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:42 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
phillynative wrote:
Indeed wrote:

Lol he's not a victim

How much crap has been said about DeRozan in the past three seasons. Dude just put his head down, played ball and earned his next contract. Simmons needs to shut his mouth and go to work. He can ask for a trade, but in the meantime he needs to show it on the court.

Please post your reference on Pop blaming on DeRozan.
Indeed
RealGM

Post#18 » by Indeed » Fri Oct 1, 2021 10:45 pm

zettapixel wrote:
Indeed wrote:I am not a Simmons fan, but to be fair, he seems to be a victim as well.

NBA is a big stage and the players get all the benefits of that, with shoe deals, ad money, huge contracts and so forth. To put it simply, that's what his huge income and celebrity status are coming from, being public. Now that someone criticizes him in public he's saying "I'm not doing what I signed up for?" Tough ****, called real life, all of us do much worse :lol:
Everybody feels like a victim sometimes, dealing with it is a basic life skill. Klutch is teaching him the opposite. It's all about the power, not feelings.
Indeed wrote:Well, didn't Rivers start this first? And the Philly media also calling Simmons garbage.

Rivers? Rivers covered for this dude the whole season while he hasn't learned a bit of shooting. Everybody in the media attacked Simmons for that all year, but not Rivers and not other 76s. No, I think this situation is really on Ben...

As you said if Simmons is being overpaid or over valued, Philly doesn't need Simmons to be in the camp. Trade him for garbage.

Meanwhile, I disagree that everybody feels like a victim sometimes. If you are feeling that way, I am sorry for you.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Oct 1, 2021 11:57 pm

Indeed wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
phillynative wrote:
Lol he's not a victim

Please post your reference on Pop blaming on DeRozan.

I think an entire nation blamed DeRozan. San Antonio would be the equivalent of wherever Simmons gets traded to. But if you don't think DeRozan heard it from Pop you haven't been paying attention. Coaches make mistakes too. Docs's mistake was an inopportune moment of honesty.

phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,754

Post#20 » by phillynative » Sat Oct 2, 2021 12:02 am

Indeed wrote:
zettapixel wrote:

As you said if Simmons is being overpaid or over valued, Philly doesn't need Simmons to be in the camp. Trade him for garbage.

Meanwhile, I disagree that everybody feels like a victim sometimes. If you are feeling that way, I am sorry for you.

He signed a max contract knowing he didn't want to stay in Philly playing next to Embiid. The 76ers don't have to trade him until they find a package that's atleast have way decent.

Return to Wiretap Discussion