Pacers Are Sleeper Team In Ben Simmons Trade Talks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Pacers Are Sleeper Team In Ben Simmons Trade Talks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Oct 3, 2021 12:29 pm

The Indiana Pacers may be the sleeper team in the Ben Simmons trade talks. The Pacers are one of several teams that have remained engaged with the Philadelphia 76ers in trade discussions.

Simmons requested a trade from the Sixers over the summer. He's now holding out from training camp and the preseason. Recently, Philadelphia withheld a payment of $8.25 million for Simmons. That money has been placed in an escrow account, from which any fines Simmons incurs will be withdrawn.

The Pacers have a series of mid-range tradable contracts to put in a deal for Simmons. Indiana can also offer Philadelphia win-now veteran players, which seems to be a priority for the 76ers. In addition, the Pacers are feeling some pressure to get back to the postseason after missing out last year.

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,020

Re: Pacers Are Sleeper Team In Ben Simmons Trade Talks 

Post#2 » by chilluminati » Sun Oct 3, 2021 2:28 pm

It's literally speculation, there is no basis to any Indiana trade happening. I mean, this info was taken fromy Windy, who used this info on The Jump ...
Zoneout
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Zoneout » Sun Oct 3, 2021 2:34 pm

Sure sounds great, pair up 2 6.10 players who can pass great and not shoot.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,771

Post#4 » by the_process » Sun Oct 3, 2021 4:45 pm

The Pacers have garbage to offer and Windy is mouthpiece for Klutch. Nothing to see here.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,208

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Sun Oct 3, 2021 5:08 pm

Indiana is not even on Simmons list. He would just sit out if he gets traded there.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,589

Post#6 » by dice » Sun Oct 3, 2021 5:15 pm

chilluminati wrote:It's literally speculation, there is no basis to any Indiana trade happening.

"The Pacers are one of several teams that have remained engaged with the Philadelphia 76ers in trade discussions."

:dontknow:

i'm not sure what "literally" speculation means, as there's only one kind of speculation, but it's definitely not just speculation
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,589

Post#7 » by dice » Sun Oct 3, 2021 5:23 pm

the_process wrote:The Pacers have garbage to offer

that's just false. sabonis is an terrific young player on a great value deal and mcconnell is a good backup point on a reasonable new contract who is 2 seasons removed from playing in philly. combined they will make 6-7 mil less than simmons next season. just as a straight up deal that would be reasonable. and then indy would probably throw in a draft pick or two as well

i can almost guarantee that they're talking about a deal involving sabonis. but sabonis and embiid as a combo is certainly not the direction the league has been trending toward for several years now, particularly when it comes to morey's apparent philosophy, so it's probably a long-shot
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
the_process
RealGM

Post#8 » by the_process » Sun Oct 3, 2021 5:51 pm

dice wrote:

that's just false. Sabonis is an terrific young player on a great value deal and mcconnell is a good backup point on a reasonable new contract who is 2 seasons removed from playing in philly. combined they will make 6-7 mil less than simmons next season. just as a straight up deal that would be reasonable. and then indy would probably throw in a draft pick or two as well

i can almost guarantee that they're talking about a deal involving sabonis. but sabonis and embiid as a combo is certainly not the direction the league has been trending toward for several years now, particularly when it comes to morey's apparent philosophy, so it's probably a long-shot

I was assuming they weren’t trading Sabonis. But OK, Sabonis has fine value I suppose. Where is he going and what package is coming to the Sixers? Because Sabonis won’t work in Philly. And it’s right there that the package gets stuck, just like Minny and all their picks.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,375

Post#9 » by Scalabrine » Sun Oct 3, 2021 6:42 pm

dice wrote:

that's just false. sabonis is an terrific young player on a great value deal and mcconnell is a good backup point on a reasonable new contract who is 2 seasons removed from playing in philly. combined they will make 6-7 mil less than simmons next season. just as a straight up deal that would be reasonable. and then indy would probably throw in a draft pick or two as well

I dont think there is any chance that Sabonis is on the table for Simmons. He's a 25 year old two time All-Star that just came off a 20/12/7 season. He's improving his range and becoming more confident as a shooter each year and if he can continue that trend then he has true superstar potential. He's one of the most underrated players in the entire league right now.

Simmons has awful value at the moment and every team looking to acquire him will be looking to do so on a deal representing that awful value.

I think something like Caris LeVert and TJ Warren or Malcom Brogdon and Jeremy Lamb is closer value than Sabonis at this point.
Go Knicks!
NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#10 » by NBA Moses » Sun Oct 3, 2021 7:15 pm

" Recently, Philadelphia withheld a payment of $8.25 million for Simmons. That money has been placed in an escrow account, from which any fines Simmons incurs will be withdrawn."

The money should belong to the Philadlephia 76ers. Fines should come out of Ben Simmons pocket since he refuses to honor his contract.

The withheld money going into an escrow acct makes no logical sense.
stlboy
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#11 » by stlboy » Sun Oct 3, 2021 7:52 pm

NBA Moses wrote:" Recently, Philadelphia withheld a payment of $8.25 million for Simmons. That money has been placed in an escrow account, from which any fines Simmons incurs will be withdrawn."

The money should belong to the Philadlephia 76ers. Fines should come out of Ben Simmons pocket since he refuses to honor his contract.

The withheld money going into an escrow acct makes no logical sense.

They need to pay him the money, there’s no reason why the 76ers haven’t traded him yet. They don’t want him there anyway, so why stale his career.
jk31
Rookie
And1: 676

Post#12 » by jk31 » Sun Oct 3, 2021 8:07 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
dice wrote:

I dont think there is any chance that Sabonis is on the table for Simmons. He's a 25 year old two time All-Star that just came off a 20/12/7 season. He's improving his range and becoming more confident as a shooter each year and if he can continue that trend then he has true superstar potential. He's one of the most underrated players in the entire league right now.

Simmons has awful value at the moment and every team looking to acquire him will be looking to do so on a deal representing that awful value.

I think something like Caris LeVert and TJ Warren or Malcom Brogdon and Jeremy Lamb is closer value than Sabonis at this point.

for me as a Pacers Fan, if you can trade Sabonis and get simmons in return that Sounds great. Pacers are going nowhere with Sabonis as their best Player. He is (very) Good, but Not great. and he is horrible on defense.
the upside the Team has with simmons could be great. He has a great fit with Turner at the 5, both offensively and defensively
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,944

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 3, 2021 8:46 pm

jk31 wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:
dice wrote:that's just false. sabonis is an terrific young player on a great value deal and mcconnell is a good backup point on a reasonable new contract who is 2 seasons removed from playing in philly. combined they will make 6-7 mil less than simmons next season. just as a straight up deal that would be reasonable. and then indy would probably throw in a draft pick or two as well

for me as a Pacers Fan, if you can trade Sabonis and get simmons in return that Sounds great. Pacers are going nowhere with Sabonis as their best Player. He is (very) Good, but Not great. and he is horrible on defense.
the upside the Team has with simmons could be great. He has a great fit with Turner at the 5, both offensively and defensively

I wouldn't trade Sabonis for Simmons straight up. Simmons is better defensively but Sabonis is a better all around player.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 3, 2021 8:55 pm

the_process wrote:The Pacers have garbage to offer and Windy is mouthpiece for Klutch. Nothing to see here.

I wouldn't have Simmons unless I can get him for very little his contract is bloated and he's shown low character by refusing to report and acting like a baby because the coach criticized him. The most I'd give is LeVert, Warren and Lamb and a 2nd or 2. But that $30 million plus for 4 years for a guy who has already taken a dump on his team creeps me out. Simmons can't shoot a lick his 3 point shot is terrible and he's less than 60% from the free throw line.
the_process
RealGM

Post#15 » by the_process » Sun Oct 3, 2021 9:02 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
the_process wrote:The Pacers have garbage to offer and Windy is mouthpiece for Klutch. Nothing to see here.

I wouldn't have Simmons unless I can get him for very little his contract is bloated and he's shown low character by refusing to report and acting like a baby because the coach criticized him. The most I'd give is LeVert, Warren and Lamb and a 2nd or 2. But that $30 million plus for 4 years for a guy who has already taken a dump on his team creeps me out. Simmons can't shoot a lick his 3 point shot is terrible and he's less than 60% from the free throw line.

Sounds good, not interested in anything the Pacers have to offer straight up.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 104

Post#16 » by dubbmotta » Sun Oct 3, 2021 9:16 pm

Nah.Pacers offer Malcom, TJ Warren, Carl Levertt and a first it makes them a better team then what they have with Ben.
the_process
RealGM

Post#17 » by the_process » Sun Oct 3, 2021 9:34 pm

dubbmotta wrote:

Nah.Pacers offer Malcom, TJ Warren, Carl Levertt and a first it makes them a better team then what they have with Ben.

Levert and Brogdon and Embiid on the same team is a non-starter. Warren is also hurt now and the pick will be around 20. It makes the Pacers better, but It does not make the Sixers better. You know that already, though.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#18 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Oct 3, 2021 9:44 pm

the_process wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Sounds good, not interested in anything the Pacers have to offer straight up.

I'd rather not take any risk on Ben after this BS that he's pulled, he's acting like a petulant child, the man is paid $31 million to play basketball! He should report and swallow his pride tell the team he wants to be traded and not run his mouth to the media about it.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 320

Post#19 » by TimeisIllmatic » Sun Oct 3, 2021 11:09 pm

Ben on Indy looks nice on paper but it ultimately it is up to him on how he would handle being traded there (if it were to happen).
slickrickstyles
Rookie
And1: 411

Post#20 » by slickrickstyles » Mon Oct 4, 2021 12:05 am

Brogdon, Lamb, and a Protected 1st would be the ideal trade for the Pacers...No doubt it does not happen
Once they have that golden shining moment and it comes to them in a dream or whatever and they understand that, that's when this team and this franchise will go to another level from where it was when I was here.

- Reggie Miller

Return to Wiretap Discussion