Some Within 76ers Suspected Ben Simmons Tried To Get Out Of Playing Game 7

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Some Within 76ers Suspected Ben Simmons Tried To Get Out Of Playing Game 7 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:50 pm

Less than 10 hours before the Philadelphia 76ers were set to host the Atlanta Hawks in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals, Ben Simmons was in limbo on whether he would be allowed to play.

"They're not letting me play," Simmons told his brother Sean Tribe and several teammates via text message.

Simmons was being held out of the team's shootaround because of a possible exposure to a team masseuse who had returned an inconclusive COVID-19 test. Several players were questioned about whether they'd seen her that morning, but Simmons was the only one who said that he had. 

"He answered the question honestly, without thinking of the implications," says one source close to Simmons.

According to multiple sources, many within the 76ers questioned whether Simmons had actually seen the masseuse or was just trying to get out of playing. Simmons had attempted only 10 shots combined in Games 5 and 6. Simmons went on to pass up a possible dunk in the fourth quarter that has become an inflection point on his tenure with the 76ers.

"If you're trying to prepare for Game 7, you don't really want to be dealing with that in the morning," a source close to Simmons says. "Especially when the spotlight is already on you."

The staffer and Simmons' test results came back negative, according to sources, and he was cleared to play in the game.

Via Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,949

Re: Some Within 76ers Suspected Ben Simmons Tried To Get Out Of Playing Game 7 

Post#2 » by mastermixer » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:23 pm

Sounds like a ridiculous reach
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
EnriCela13
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#3 » by EnriCela13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:47 pm

mastermixer wrote:Sounds like a ridiculous reach

Seriously. He answered the question honestly so he must've been trying to get out of playing the game. Such dumb logic. Theres literally a million injuries he could've have faked to get out of the game that have no way to be verified. Anything with his head, or eyes, or numbness or whatever.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#4 » by hyberx » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:12 pm

So if Simmons lied about it, then he was trying to get the whole team covid and none of them get to play game 7, right? Makes so much sense. :crazy:
Head1911
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#5 » by Head1911 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:19 pm

This is simply the light hazing one must endure after talking BIG sh*t on a team that you must return to. Charmin Soft!
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,949

Post#6 » by mastermixer » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:47 pm

EnriCela13 wrote:
mastermixer wrote:Sounds like a ridiculous reach

Seriously. He answered the question honestly so he must've been trying to get out of playing the game. Such dumb logic. Theres literally a million injuries he could've have faked to get out of the game that have no way to be verified. Anything with his head, or eyes, or numbness or whatever.

Not to mention wouldn’t they ask the masseuse if she saw Ben that day? So how could he make it up?

So Ben and Masseuse were in cahoots to fake a covid contact to get him out of the game, but he was ultimately cleared to play?

This makes absolutely no sense
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 740

Post#7 » by Hold That » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:14 pm

Typical smear campaign teams do n when players want out.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#8 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:18 pm

What happen to sports journalism? Does the person who wrote this garbage think fans are that dumb?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#9 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:48 pm

I don't blame anyone for assuming this is a smear campaign, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's the truth. Simmons is mentally weak enough to pull a stunt like this and has been coddled enough to think it would go over well.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#10 » by GunnerWRX » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:21 pm

Did they ask the masseuse? The 76ers and Simmons are getting ridiculous. Hope they both have a happy ending.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#11 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:11 pm

The only logic I can ascertain is Sixers want their fans to hate Ben Simmons, so when they trade him for a bag of rocks they won't be too upset.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,888

Post#12 » by Sofia » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:12 pm

“I might have been exposed to covid”
“Shut up and dribble”
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
ElHanko
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by ElHanko » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:24 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:The only logic I can ascertain is Sixers want their fans to hate Ben Simmons, so when they trade him for a bag of rocks they won't be too upset.

That’s the only thing that would make this at all sensible. Otherwise, they are just further alienating a guy who they keep saying they want to keep despite all the reasons to trade him. Unless they’ve accepted that they’re actually gonna get a bad return, it looks like such a dumb thing to leak.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Re: Some Within 76ers Suspecteulted Ben Simmons Tried To Get Out Of Playing Game 7 

Post#14 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:12 pm

Truly disgusting and cowardly behavior from someone that self entitled.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,948

Post#15 » by BigGargamel » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:28 am

kenwood3333 wrote:What happen to sports journalism? Does the person who wrote this garbage think fans are that dumb?

Are you new to this board? Of course they are.
Sweet Meat Lew
Sophomore
And1: 44

Re: Some Within 76ers Suspecteulted Ben Simmons Tried To Get Out Of Playing Game 7 

Post#16 » by Sweet Meat Lew » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:08 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:Truly disgusting and cowardly behavior from someone that self entitled.

admitting you saw a masseuse?
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#17 » by Simmons25 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:20 am

You know what... I really don't like Simmons... dude lost me 18 months ago.... but this character assassination that has been going on these last few weeks are a complete joke and most of it seems to be coming out of Philly.

Makes me wonder if there are coaches, front office staff or certain players that are leaking stuff like this to the media (even if its made up) to make Simmons into a villain and have everyone hate him. It's definitely worked because I have never seen so much hatred for a player and it's not even all his fault.

Makes me think they are happy Simmons is taking all the heat to take away from the fact the franchise has made awful decisions and continually fails in playoffs...that Embiid turned it over continually when it mattered...again... and that once again Doc Rivers got outcoached. They are loving the fact Simmons is getting all the blame.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#18 » by Pennebaker » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:04 am

That is a cheap shot.

A pretty pathetic one too.
EnriCela13
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#19 » by EnriCela13 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:45 pm

GunnerWRX wrote:Did they ask the masseuse? The 76ers and Simmons are getting ridiculous. Hope they both have a happy ending.

If they get happy endings, then we’re gonna end up with a Desean Watson situation on our hands hahah
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,750

Post#20 » by phillynative » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Simmons25 wrote:You know what... I really don't like Simmons... dude lost me 18 months ago.... but this character assassination that has been going on these last few weeks are a complete joke and most of it seems to be coming out of Philly.

Makes me wonder if there are coaches, front office staff or certain players that are leaking stuff like this to the media (even if its made up) to make Simmons into a villain and have everyone hate him. It's definitely worked because I have never seen so much hatred for a player and it's not even all his fault.

Makes me think they are happy Simmons is taking all the heat to take away from the fact the franchise has made awful decisions and continually fails in playoffs...that Embiid turned it over continually when it mattered...again... and that once again Doc Rivers got outcoached. They are loving the fact Simmons is getting all the blame.

Character assassination or not, no one likes a person that refuses to hold theirself accountable. You bring up embiid turning the ball over, well guess who admitted they turned the ball over too many times. When have you ever heard Ben admit to being afraid to shoot the damn ball.

Return to Wiretap Discussion