76ers Have Stopped Fining Ben Simmons For Missed Practices, Games

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

76ers Have Stopped Fining Ben Simmons For Missed Practices, Games 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:55 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers have stopped fining Ben Simmons for missed games and practices now that he has reported and is out for personal reasons. 

Simmons reported to the 76ers on the Friday before the start of the season after initially holding out in hopes of being traded. Simmons was kicked out of a practice last week by Doc Rivers.

Simmons maintains that he is not mentally prepared to play and there is no known potential return date.

Via Ramona Shelburne/ESPN

TinyArchibald
Freshman
And1: 150

Re: 76ers Have Stopped Fining Ben Simmons For Missed Practices, Games 

Post#2 » by TinyArchibald » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:35 pm

Everyone is in a good place?

Really?

It seems like no one in this situation is in a good place.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#3 » by br7knicks » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:07 pm

76ers have **** this up like my knicks would.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
DarthTeufel
Junior
And1: 641

Post#4 » by DarthTeufel » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 pm

TinyArchibald wrote:Everyone is in a good place?

Really?

Ben is.

He doesn't actually care about getting traded as long as he doesn't have to show up for the Sixers and the checks keep coming in. Found out he can do this by playing the mental illness/fake injury card and suddenly if you critisize him your a monster who is insensitive about mental illness.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 3,915

Post#5 » by chilluminati » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:05 am

br7knicks wrote:76ers have **** this up like my knicks would.

Looks like that cloud of back luck moved south lol.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#6 » by hyberx » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:09 am

Yes, everyone is in a good place, sure lol. 76er got to show some save-face claim that they got the disgruntled Simmons to report, even though he won't play at all. Simmons got paid so it's a real win for him. Good one, Morey and Doc. Where are the 76ers going to go from here even if Simmons shows he is ready to play? If he plays really hard, they risk getting him injured and trade not happening. If he doesn't play hard, his stat and reputation will continue to suffer and they will only get worse offer. A lose-lose for them all day.
PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,659

Post#7 » by PlatinumState » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:50 am

He got what he wanted, which is to get paid and play video games all day at home
Rich Paul a A1 finesser
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#8 » by SkyHookFTW » Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:02 pm

After Lane Johnson came out and talked about his struggles with mental illness a few days ago, and Brandon Brooks and his well-known struggles with anxiety was remembered, it would have been a bad look for the Sixers to not at least give lip service to the mental illness issue, real or not. Especially with the Eagles, the most popular team in the city, having a player-friendly approach to similar situations.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#9 » by nedleeds » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:44 pm

Owners need a lock out in the worst way. This **** is insane.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
stlboy
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#10 » by stlboy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:57 pm

It amazes me that all you so call basketball fans who never played college basketball, let alone high school basketball is disgruntled because this All Star player is still getting paid.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:04 pm

stlboy wrote:It amazes me that all you so call basketball fans who never played college basketball, let alone high school basketball is disgruntled because this All Star player is still getting paid.

It shouldn't amaze you. Many of us are professionals in other occupations, many of them are talent-based. I'm a professional musician. If I don't play, I don't get paid. The reason doesn't even matter. Simmons being an All-Star is irrelevant. If your band/musician of choice: Garth Brooks, Metallica, Pusha T... It don't matter. If they don't show up, they don't get paid.

Now, I wouldn't call myself disgruntled. Some people are but I'm more indifferent than anything else. If Simmons is truly having a mental health crisis he should seek help and get right. Insurance should cover it. But if his claiming "mental health" is pretense... that's going to piss a few people off.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#12 » by Scalabrine » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:28 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
stlboy wrote:It amazes me that all you so call basketball fans who never played college basketball, let alone high school basketball is disgruntled because this All Star player is still getting paid.

It shouldn't amaze you. Many of us are professionals in other occupations, many of them are talent-based. I'm a professional musician. If I don't play, I don't get paid. The reason doesn't even matter. Simmons being an All-Star is irrelevant. If your band/musician of choice: Garth Brooks, Metallica, Pusha T... It don't matter. If they don't show up, they don't get paid.

Now, I wouldn't call myself disgruntled. Some people are but I'm more indifferent than anything else. If Simmons is truly having a mental health crisis he should seek help and get right. Insurance should cover it. But if his claiming "mental health" is pretense... that's going to piss a few people off.

This is it. It's a much bigger issue if he's just using the shield of mental health as an excuse to not play but still get paid, then I have a much bigger issue with this... which honestly is exactly what it seems like. If he's actually dealing with something serious then my apologies obviously.
Go Knicks!
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#13 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:29 pm

TinyArchibald wrote:Everyone is in a good place?
Really?

This whole thing has been a disaster for everyone involved, but reading the tea leaves I am guessing that things may actually be improving. My guess is both sides are finally really talking (which is more than you could say just a month ago.) The Sixers ease up on the fines and withholding salary to make things less confrontational, but would only do so with some positive indication from the Ben's camp.

The Sixers are still gonna end up trading Ben who still wants to leave, but I think they both realize it really helps them both to work together rather than keep trying to force the other's hand.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#14 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:36 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:I'm a professional musician. If I don't play, I don't get paid.

Maybe you should form/join a union and collectively bargain guaranteed contracts :lol:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:52 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I'm a professional musician. If I don't play, I don't get paid.

Maybe you should form/join a union and collectively bargain guaranteed contracts :lol:

Musicians often sign contracts just like athletes. Usually the contract is to insure the venue will follow through with payment, but they also lock the musician into showing up should they be offered a higher paying gig. The contracts are void if you don't show up and often carry penalties. Ben Simmons' contract requires him to show up. I've never heard of a "show up if you feel like it" contract, but I'll keep my eyes open. :wink:

Return to Wiretap Discussion