Mavericks' Three-Man Leadership Council Requested Entire Roster Play In Tuesday's Game

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Mavericks' Three-Man Leadership Council Requested Entire Roster Play In Tuesday's Game 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:23 pm

The Dallas Mavericks played all 15 players in Tuesday's win over the Houston Rockets following a meeting with the team's three-man leadership council. 

Jason Kidd revealed the reasoning behind the expanded rotation in his postgame comments. 

Seven of the 15 players played in fewer than 10 minutes. 

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Re: Mavericks' Three-Man Leadership Council Requested Entire Roster Play In Tuesday's Game 

Post#2 » by RickB-Orlando » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:29 pm

I'm sure I will get slammed for this, but on a professional basketball team they need a "leadership council" to help the coach decide on rotations?
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Re: Mavericks' Three-Man Leadership Council Requested Entire Roster Play In Tuesday's Game 

Post#3 » by tribulations » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:37 pm

I actually think there's upside to this collaborative approach rather than a fully autocratic one.
matt6715
Veteran
And1: 2,797

Post#4 » by matt6715 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:52 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:I'm sure I will get slammed for this, but on a professional basketball team they need a "leadership council" to help the coach decide on rotations?

Depends, do you consider Lebron a one-man leadership council?
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,954

Post#5 » by shakes0 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:18 pm

lol this is so pathetic. Why even have a coach?
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#6 » by hyberx » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:31 pm

What next, those 3 men request the coaching staff all take a pay cut? A vote by the team on how many minutes each player gets?

I am all for playing bench players if they can contribute. Steve Kerr, as a bench guy himself, knew the importance of that and always do one hella job of playing his bench. Mark Jackson was the total opposite, running his starters to the ground.

Jason Kidd should know better about this balance, why do those 3 get to dictate this, and demand all 15 people get to play?
OhCanada1091
Veteran
And1: 2,122

Post#7 » by OhCanada1091 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:00 pm

hyberx wrote:What next, those 3 men request the coaching staff all take a pay cut? A vote by the team on how many minutes each player gets?

I am all for playing bench players if they can contribute. Steve Kerr, as a bench guy himself, knew the importance of that and always do one hella job of playing his bench. Mark Jackson was the total opposite, running his starters to the ground.

Jason Kidd should know better about this balance, why do those 3 get to dictate this, and demand all 15 people get to play?

Relax. It was against the Rockets. They should be able to screw around a bit or else they have bigger problems.
DickMotta4Prez
Senior
And1: 57

Post#8 » by DickMotta4Prez » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:13 am

I sincerely hope RealGM commenters are not representative of actual Mavs fans at large because there's a lot of bad takes here
boogiezen wrote:
So, stop pretending you know about basketball.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,921

Post#9 » by Wingy » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:19 am

Weak.

Not nearly as impressive as the council with Yoda, Obi Wan, and Samuel L. $&@!ing Jackson.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 515

Post#10 » by TheCage4 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:01 pm

In the words of Sheldon Cooper, “oh what fresh hell is this?” It’s one thing when a player of LeBron’s caliber puts in his two cents, but now we have “leadership councils?”

How about we just add a 5th quarter where everyone who didn’t play in the actual game gets a run?
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Post#11 » by Tamimi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:06 pm

TheCage4 wrote:In the words of Sheldon Cooper, “oh what fresh hell is this?” It’s one thing when a player of LeBron’s caliber puts in his two cents, but now we have “leadership councils?”

How about we just add a 5th quarter where everyone who didn’t play in the actual game gets a run?

"Leadership Council." Sounds like something from a third-world country's coup-d'etat
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#12 » by RickB-Orlando » Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:05 pm

matt6715 wrote:
RickB-Orlando wrote:I'm sure I will get slammed for this, but on a professional basketball team they need a "leadership council" to help the coach decide on rotations?

Depends, do you consider Lebron a one-man leadership council?

No, I consider him to be an autocratic dictator that all the supposed leaders and executives in LA report to for direction, all people who are afraid to change or do much of anything without his OK for fear of pissing him off and deciding he wants someone fired or (worst of all) out because what he demanded they build isn't working for him anymore. Or does that sound too negative?

Return to Wiretap Discussion