Re: Nikola Jokic Could Be Suspended After Altercation with Markieff Morris

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Nikola Jokic Could Be Suspended After Altercation with Markieff Morris 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Nov 9, 2021 2:40 pm

With just over two minutes to play in the Denver Nuggets victory over the Miami Heat on Monday night, reigning MVP Nikola Jokic and Markieff Morris were both ejected following an altercation on the court.

Morris delivered a hard "take" foul to Jokic at midcourt. Jokic took offense to the unnecessarily hard foul and shoved Morris in the back. Morris was assessed a Flagrant 2 foul and ejected. Jokic was ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Following the game, Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra was unhappy with Jokic's response to Morris' foul.

"That was a very dangerous and dirty play," Spoelstra said. "Keef took a foul, and it was one of those fastbreak take fouls, and he did with his shoulder. You might deem that maybe as a little bit more than just slapping somebody, but after watching it on film, it was a take foul. That's how I saw it. And the play after, that's just absolutely uncalled for."

For his part, Jokic felt bad about the way he reacted and how hard he shoved Morris.

"It's a stupid play," Jokic told said. "I feel bad. I am not supposed to react that way. ... I thought it was going to be a take foul. ... I think it was a dirty play. And I just needed to protect myself. I felt bad. I am not supposed to react that way, but I need to protect myself."

A further remorseful Jokic added: "I don't know who showed me the clip, and actually (Morris') head snapped back, so I feel really bad. ... It's a bad move."

Via Ohm Youngmisuk/ESPN

njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#2 » by njknicks » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:40 pm

Incredible how the NBA has changed - in the 90's / 80's the Nikola / Morris situation would be laughable. Not even worthy of a flagrant in the 90's.

However, have to applaud the NBA for wanting to protect the longevity of the players and really ensuring players focus on their on court play rather then alteracation.

Ultimately -- Morris play was dirty and Nikola reacted to that play : thankfully no punches thrown.

Will be interesting to see how Adam Silver hands down punishments ( as this was not a fight necessarily but more a shoving match - which players already do when they attempt to gain position in the post ).
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#3 » by kalel123 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 4:56 pm

Morris got what was coming to him. Good on Jokic to hit back.

If you are going to suspend Jokic, that's fine. But if you are going to do that, you got to suspend Morris as well.
WuriderX
Junior
And1: 403

Post#4 » by WuriderX » Tue Nov 9, 2021 5:08 pm

Those Morris twins are nothing but thugs anyway and love to bully other players. Jokic stood up for himself. Nothing wrong with that.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#5 » by RipCityKJ » Tue Nov 9, 2021 5:58 pm

WuriderX wrote:Those Morris twins are nothing but thugs anyway and love to bully other players. Jokic stood up for himself. Nothing wrong with that.

I don''t get how they can be traded, cut or bought out by so many teams and yet teams are always rushing to resign them? Neither is worth the headache they bring.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#6 » by tigerae » Tue Nov 9, 2021 6:31 pm

I didn't see the game but knowing Morris he probably took other cheap shots at Jokic throughout the game. The refs need to protect big men in the game the same as they do with smaller players. This is what happened with Shaq a lot as well. At some point enough is enough and the big guys are bound to retaliate if they keep allowing the cheap shots thinking they are bigger and should be able to handle harder hits.
circa70
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#7 » by circa70 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 8:31 pm

Jokic = EuroTrash Thug
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#8 » by hyberx » Tue Nov 9, 2021 9:07 pm

Morris gave Jokic a shoulder block and an elbow when he was in the most vulnerable position, both arms up and getting hit right at his rib cage area. If you can dish it, then expect to take it as well. Jokic stood up for himself, good for him. Don't let those fools punk you like that.
ishoy123
Starter
And1: 2,621

Post#9 » by ishoy123 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 9:17 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
WuriderX wrote:Those Morris twins are nothing but thugs anyway and love to bully other players. Jokic stood up for himself. Nothing wrong with that.

I don''t get how they can be traded, cut or bought out by so many teams and yet teams are always rushing to resign them? Neither is worth the headache they bring.

Are they actually headaches to the teams they are on?
circa70
Sophomore

Post#10 » by circa70 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 9:32 pm

hyberx wrote:Morris gave Jokic a shoulder block and an elbow when he was in the most vulnerable position, both arms up and getting hit right at his rib cage area. If you can dish it, then expect to take it as well. Jokic stood up for himself, good for him. Don't let those fools punk you like that.

stood up for himself while the other guy had his back turned. that's some PatBev b**tch s**ht. :noway:
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,960

Post#11 » by shakes0 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:03 pm

circa70 wrote:
hyberx wrote:Morris gave Jokic a shoulder block and an elbow when he was in the most vulnerable position, both arms up and getting hit right at his rib cage area. If you can dish it, then expect to take it as well. Jokic stood up for himself, good for him. Don't let those fools punk you like that.

stood up for himself while the other guy had his back turned. that's some PatBev b**tch s**ht. :noway:

Maybe don't turn your back after you cheap shot a guy. You dumb enough to do that you the consequences are on you and you alone. If this happened in hockey no way would someone turn their back on a player they just scumbagged. This shows just how comfortable Morris was with being a cheapshot goon and not worrying about suffering any consequences.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:09 pm

circa70 wrote:

As if Morris's shot on Jokic wasn't cheap as ****! Morris turned around because he knew Jokic was coming back. Justified, and even necessary! The NBA has no place for that weak crap... and I'm not a fan of either team. To be clear, I think Jokic thought Morris would turn and face him, not fall down and pretend to be too hurt to get up and fight.

Stay down, bro... stay down! :nonono:
kalel123
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by kalel123 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:18 pm

circa70 wrote:

It was retaliation in heat of the moment. If Jokic could've held back his anger long enough for Morris to turn back, he wouldn't have retaliated in the first place. Good on Jokic. Morris's own fault for not bracing himself after he made that dirty play. If you are going to dish it out, gotta be prepared to get hit back, too.
TMac Culloch
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#14 » by TMac Culloch » Tue Nov 9, 2021 11:17 pm

I think Markieff starts more on court beef than anyone in the league by far so Jokic gets my benefit of doubt
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#15 » by Psubs » Tue Nov 9, 2021 11:31 pm

Morris was pre-meditated. Jokic was 3rd degree or 2nd at most.
fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Post#16 » by fuller4379 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 11:32 pm

Morris is a dirty player just like his brother.
circa70
Sophomore

Post#17 » by circa70 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 11:55 pm

Spoiler:
fuller4379 wrote:Morris is a dirty player just like his brother.

Jokic is a euro trash thug just like his brother

"Euro trash thug" is unnecessary.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#18 » by dougthonus » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:42 am

Jokic deserves a lengthy suspension for that. Morris probably deserved a flagrant 1 or flagrant 2.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
kalel123
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by kalel123 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:17 am

Such a good take on the subject. Finally people who make sense from front to back. Wholeheartedly agree.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#20 » by Rashidi » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:55 am

Jokic has expressed remorse.

You know who hasn't? Markieff Morris or any member of the Heat.

Return to Wiretap Discussion