Re: Brad Stevens On Jaylen Brown Trade Rumors: Nothing Doing

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Brad Stevens On Jaylen Brown Trade Rumors: Nothing Doing 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:15 pm

In his weekly spot on 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston, Brad Stevens was asked about trade rumors involving Jaylen Brown. Stevens shot down those rumors immediately.

“I just walked up to Jaylen and said, ‘Your name is all over the place as you know. Obviously, from our standpoint, you’re a Celtic and obviously a guy that we think exceptionally high of. Nothing doing,’” Stevens said of his conversation with Brown. “I just wanted to make sure that he has that peace of mind.”

The Boston Celtics have reportedly talked trade with the Philadelphia 76ers for disgruntled star Ben Simmons. In those talks, Philadelphia made it clear they would seek Brown in return. Stevens said that's the nature of trade talks.

“When you get into trade rumors, obviously, there’s going to be rumors, there’s going to be talks,” Stevens said on the speculation. “We have to be on the phones, but we also have to be prudent and smart about what we’re doing with our own team. I would say most of the time that I’ve been here at least, there’s a lot less to it that’s real.”

Via Bill Sy/CelticsBlog

NBA Moses
Pro Prospect
And1: 373

Post#2 » by NBA Moses » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:19 pm

I dont blame Boston for not trading Brown for Simmons.That being said.

Ive read it was Boston who made the call to Philly about acquiring Ben Simmons. If youre Brad Stevens dont you have to realize that Daryl Morey is going to need either Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum in return? Like Daryl Morey cant trade a 3x all-star, 2x all NBA defense with immense talent(albeit alot of issues to) to a division rival for their scrubs.

Why did he even call the Sixers if Brown + Tatum are off the table?
LuffyFiasco
Sophomore
And1: 294

Post#3 » by LuffyFiasco » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:45 pm

NBA Moses wrote:I dont blame Boston for not trading Brown for Simmons.That being said.

Ive read it was Boston who made the call to Philly about acquiring Ben Simmons. If youre Brad Stevens dont you have to realize that Daryl Morey is going to need either Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum in return? Like Daryl Morey cant trade a 3x all-star, 2x all NBA defense with immense talent(albeit alot of issues to) to a division rival for their scrubs.

Because you don't lose anything for picking up the phone, especially if you are respectful about it. not exploring these trades is bad management. You have to at least try to see what is the asking price.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 204

Post#4 » by davesilver » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:49 pm

I actually do believe a Brown <-> Simmons trade works for both teams.

The question is the value add-ons that each team would see fit to make it happen.

I'm sure Boston feels that multiple picks and other prospects would make a deal fair, whereas Morey would not attach excess value on top of Simmons to make it happen
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,209

Post#5 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:01 pm

LuffyFiasco wrote:
NBA Moses wrote:I dont blame Boston for not trading Brown for Simmons.That being said.

Because you don't lose anything for picking up the phone, especially if you are respectful about it. not exploring these trades is bad management. You have to at least try to see what is the asking price.

Agreed. If you think Simmons fits your team you have to make the call. It would be foolish for BOS to trade either Tatum or Brown for Simmons. That doesn't mean they don't have anything PHI wants or needs.

When Morey's phone rings, he should know before picking it up that the GM on the other end will not be interested in trading their 1a or 1b for Simmons. Most good teams won't be willing to trade their 3rd best player. What he needs to be looking at is acquiring 2-3 rotation players. Something like what WAS got from LAL in the Westbrook trade would be ideal. Those players aren't any of the things Morey says he's looking for, (difference makers/young prospects/picks) but man would PHI be better with them on the roster.

My point is that Morey is looking for the wrong things... that doesn't mean teams should stop calling and offering the right things.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#6 » by kuclas » Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Spoiler:

If embiid goes down for season. I can see Morey trading Simmons for spare parts and quick tank job (sixers 7-1 this season with embiid. 1-5 now without embiid)

But teams have to understand Morey is under no obligation to trade Simmons with his long term contract.

Bad teams trade distress assets for spare parts cause they are well…bad teams. Sixers are a good team with embiid. But spare parts plus embiid isn’t gonna to get them further than 2ne round.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#7 » by rzzzzz » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:32 pm

Thanks to the Celtics for bumping Simmons back to the trade discussion. If Jaylen and Tatum can both start without any overlap, I wouldn’t move them either. But, obviously, Sixers are not trading for spare parts, so you’re out of the discussion.

Return to Wiretap Discussion