Sixers Assistant Dave Joerger Battling Cancer

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Sixers Assistant Dave Joerger Battling Cancer 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:34 pm

Philadelphia 76ers assistant coach Dave Joerger is going to leave the team for several weeks to undergo treatment for cancer. Joerger has been diagnosed with a "head and neck" cancer.

Joerger informed the other assistants and the players of his need to step away after their game on Saturday night. He had already spoken with head coach Doc Rivers, the Sixers front office and Sixers ownership.

The diagnosis for Joerger is a positive one, because of early detection.

"We have caught it early," Joerger told ESPN. "I'm very lucky. I've got over a 90% chance of cure rate, but it's very scary and it's not enjoyable going through. ...I can't go on the road and do radiation and chemotherapy in different cities around the country. To continue my treatment, I need to step away from the team."

Joerger said he wanted to get the news out to encourage others to undergo early detection screenings.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,199

Re: Sixers Assistant Dave Joerger Battling Cancer 

Post#2 » by Childs » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:25 pm

Hoping for a swift and full recovery.
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#3 » by Hans1984 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:04 pm

That's terrible. I wish him good luck and a speedy recovery.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#4 » by BigHustle » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:27 pm

Rooting for you Dave!

-Celtics Nation
Years80HAWKS
Junior
And1: 42

Post#5 » by Years80HAWKS » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:31 pm

Spoiler:
I do not know him, but he has a very sympathetic face that made me like him always.

Vaccines doing their job and getting people intom serious health issues...

Vaccination Misinformation.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,432

Post#6 » by mtcan » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:53 pm

Years80HAWKS wrote:I do not know him, but he has a very sympathetic face that made me like him always.

Joerger noticed a lump in his throat approximately 15 months ago and alerted his Memphis-based physician. After a scan returned negative, he kept monitoring the lump and worried that it wasn't getting smaller. Five weeks ago, he called his doctor with renewed concerns.

He noticed a lump in his throat 15 months ago but wasn't formally diagnosed...so what does this have to do with vaccines? Head and neck cancers have been around before the covid vaccine. Cancer rates are NOT happening at a higher rate since vaccinations started almost 1 year ago. You may wish to ask instead whether Joerger has a history of smoking or consuming alcohol because those are definite risk factors for his particular cancer.

Stupid disinformation...
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#7 » by 23artest23 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:14 pm

Years80HAWKS wrote:I do not know him, but he has a very sympathetic face that made me like him always.

This has nothing to do with vaccines. You should reevaluate your life being that you find it worth your time to get on RealGM to spread vaccine misinformation.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#8 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:54 pm

Get well soon coach! Best wishes and prayers to Dave and his family
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#9 » by puja21 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:06 pm

mtcan wrote:

Joerger noticed a lump in his throat approximately 15 months ago and alerted his Memphis-based physician. After a scan returned negative, he kept monitoring the lump and worried that it wasn't getting smaller. Five weeks ago, he called his doctor with renewed concerns.

He noticed a lump in his throat 15 months ago but wasn't formally diagnosed...so what does this have to do with vaccines? Head and neck cancers have been around before the covid vaccine. Cancer rates are NOT happening at a higher rate since vaccinations started almost 1 year ago. You may wish to ask instead whether Joerger has a history of smoking or consuming alcohol because those are definite risk factors for his particular cancer.

Stupid disinformation...

Read that guy's most And1'd post from a Jonathan Isaac thread... oof

1. Don't need to read anything more this person's brain spews out
2. Sad he draws any And1's
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#10 » by 23artest23 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:04 am

puja21 wrote:
mtcan wrote:

Stupid disinformation...

Read that guy's most And1'd post from a Jonathan Isaac thread... oof

1. Don't need to read anything more this person's brain spews out
2. Sad he draws any And1's

No doubt, the guy is an absolute basket case. I think of my own issues and think of someone like that...it's a sad, disturbing thought to imagine what brings a person to that point of embracing those crazy ideologies. I also find it disturbing the number of people I run into that are in that same ballpark of thinking. No doubt in my mind, the greatest dangers to our country arent over in the Middle East, Russia, our southern border, etc.

Return to Wiretap Discussion