Sixers Interested In Jerami Grant, James Harden For Ben Simmons

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Sixers Interested In Jerami Grant, James Harden For Ben Simmons 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:58 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers reportedly have a wide list of targets they'd consider in a trade for Ben Simmons. That list includes a couple of old friends of those in power in Philadelphia.

A year after the Sixers tried to trade Simmons to the Houston Rockets for James Harden, the team is considering making another run at the star guard. Harden, a Daryl Morey favorite, did not sign a contract extension with the Brooklyn Nets. That has some in the 76ers organization wondering if a package built around Simmons could entice Sean Marks and the Nets to make a deal.

Another target is former Philadelphia forward Jerami Grant. The Sixers have held talks with the Detroit Pistons that were built around a Simmons for Grant swap. Grant started his career with the 76ers before being traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2016.

Via Keith Pompey/Philadelphia Inquirer

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Re: Sixers Interested In Jerami Grant, James Harden For Ben Simmons 

Post#2 » by Revived » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:23 pm

Sizers said they wanted a star player in return but are willing to settle for Jerami Grant? Lmao.
Yacky
Freshman
And1: 25

Post#3 » by Yacky » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:28 pm

Cade is already a better shooter than Ben Simmons and is showing really good upset on a young team. Bring Ben Simmons in seems like a really bad move IMO.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#4 » by HotelVitale » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:32 pm

Yacky wrote:Cade is already a better shooter than Ben Simmons and is showing really good upset on a young team. Bring Ben Simmons in seems like a really bad move IMO.

That's true but they could be a solid fit together. I'm not sure Cade is looking like a perennial all-NBA guy, let alone a generational star, so it's not like they can just rock with him and expect a title to come their way. Simmons isn't much of a half-court creator and doesn't dominate the ball there, so he wouldn't overlap too much with Cade's strengths, or the things Cade needs to get reps with to improve. Don't think they have to make a move like this but it's not crazy.
MegaK
Bench Warmer
And1: 133

Post#5 » by MegaK » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:44 pm

So sixers confused on what equal value for Simmons is bro ? They talking about trading him for Harden one of the 75 greatest players all time or Jerami Grant who is not even an all star bro ? What we doing here bro ?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#6 » by Topofthekey » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:10 pm

Morey: We'll only trade Simmons for an All Star

Also Morey: Jerami Grant
Oncloud9
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#7 » by Oncloud9 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:31 pm

Every player agent, and every player privately, has to be feeling a level of distaste and distrust with the 76ers handling of the Ben Simmons situation. Regardless of what one believes about Ben Simmons, the very public blame and shame of Ben for what should be in-house matter is really the issue.

Most games can turn on a few possession here or there. Self doubt, self protection or malicious compliance, an inaccurate pass to a wide open teammate, not cutting hard, missing a defensive rotation, or not fighting through a pick can cumulatively turn wins into losses. If you're on the floor with him, how much do you trust him? if you're Doc, do you trust him? If you're Ben, do you trust instincts that left you open to public humiliation? We know how often some ill timed missed calls by refs can turn a game.

For the 76ers and for any potential trade partners Ben will never be the player he was. There is precedent. VC famously said he was never going to dunk again to force the Raps to trade him. VC became a shell of the player he'd been for the reminder of his tenure with the Raps, and IMO it changed him for the remainder of his career. He could dunk, he could shoot the 3, but he would never again put his body on the line to impact the game like he did when he was a Raptor.

The 76ers best course of action would be tell Ben to stay away until they can work out a trade and continue to pay him. They also need to go silent on the matter as the continuous reports are counter productive. For a billion dollar sports team, Ben's salary is not even close to the money the Rockets are paying Wall to stay home.

To quote the great Kenny Smith....."it's over, it's oooover". The sooner everyone can move on the better.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 3,915

Post#8 » by chilluminati » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:37 pm

Ahh what a story. But please god spare us in Detroit. We literally JUST GOT CADE. We've been irrelevant since 2008 ... PLEASE don't do this to us. Unless Ben comes in and says "Hey I'm Draymond Green at the 4 now", I want absolutely nothing to do with that man stinking up our potential with his terrible attitude and work ethic. Ben's mentality is actually the opposite of what a Detroit fan values. In terms of values, I'd rather have Josh Jackson than Ben on our team 10/10 times.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,724

Post#9 » by the_process » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:44 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Morey: We'll only trade Simmons for an All Star

There is no way Grant is on their “list”. Based on what we supposedly know about Morey’s asking price, chances are Morey asked for Cade and Grant. Or they were talking about a Harris for Grant deal.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#10 » by Billl » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:25 pm

the_process wrote:

There is no way Grant is on their “list”. Based on what we supposedly know about Morey’s asking price, chances are Morey asked for Cade and Grant. Or they were talking about a Harris for Grant deal.

Morey has certainly already offered simmons for any of the top 30 players and got laughed at. Now he has to decide if he wants to just take the best offer now or drag this out even longer. grant is more the type of player that Simmons could actually fetch in a trade.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,082

Post#11 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:04 pm

chilluminati wrote:Ahh what a story. But please god spare us in Detroit. We literally JUST GOT CADE. We've been irrelevant since 2008 ... PLEASE don't do this to us. Unless Ben comes in and says "Hey I'm Draymond Green at the 4 now", I want absolutely nothing to do with that man stinking up our potential with his terrible attitude and work ethic. Ben's mentality is actually the opposite of what a Detroit fan values. In terms of values, I'd rather have Josh Jackson than Ben on our team 10/10 times.

Why would they want cade, a really ball dominante point forward and pair him with another ball dominnant point forward..... who cant score.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:40 pm

the_process wrote:

Harris for Grant would be foolish for both sides. I don't see that at all. Simmons for Grant gives DET fans a ray of sunshine and PHI gets a switchable wing defender without Simmons' offensive hiccups. They might also get a pick/picks that mean something because DET isn't going anywhere soon.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:57 pm

Oncloud9 wrote:Every player agent, and every player privately, has to be feeling a level of distaste and distrust with the 76ers handling of the Ben Simmons situation. Regardless of what one believes about Ben Simmons, the very public blame and shame of Ben for what should be in-house matter is really the issue.

Most games can turn on a few possession here or there. Self doubt, self protection or malicious compliance, an inaccurate pass to a wide open teammate, not cutting hard, missing a defensive rotation, or not fighting through a pick can cumulatively turn wins into losses. If you're on the floor with him, how much do you trust him? if you're Doc, do you trust him? If you're Ben, do you trust instincts that left you open to public humiliation? We know how often some ill timed missed calls by refs can turn a game.

For the 76ers and for any potential trade partners Ben will never be the player he was. There is precedent. VC famously said he was never going to dunk again to force the Raps to trade him. VC became a shell of the player he'd been for the reminder of his tenure with the Raps, and IMO it changed him for the remainder of his career. He could dunk, he could shoot the 3, but he would never again put his body on the line to impact the game like he did when he was a Raptor.

The 76ers best course of action would be tell Ben to stay away until they can work out a trade and continue to pay him. They also need to go silent on the matter as the continuous reports are counter productive. For a billion dollar sports team, Ben's salary is not even close to the money the Rockets are paying Wall to stay home.

To quote the great Kenny Smith....."it's over, it's oooover". The sooner everyone can move on the better.

Ben... is that you?

How does PHI keep it "in house" when their max player is not with the team? It is going to be the first question on every reporters lips. Every member of the staff, from Morey to the window washers, would have to return to the bubble to make that happen. Nope, Ben did this to himself.

And your answer is for them to pay him to stay at home while they are supposedly in their championship window? No. He is not a perfect player but he does help them win. They need him on the floor to help them win today and help the facilitate a trade tomorrow.

Vince wanted out because he did not feel the organization was committed to winning. Simmons wants out of PHI because a few peoples honest answers embarrassed him . When it seemed clear a trade was imminent he wanted to break up with them before they could break up with him.

Wall is not with HOU because HOU wants to lose. That is a whole other issue in the league. PHI wants to win, HOU wants to lose. You can't compare the two situations.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:17 pm

Unless they are gonna be sending a lot of value to the Nets there is no way the Nets consider taking Simmons for Harden, they already have one headcase in Kyrie.
jspahn
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#15 » by jspahn » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:20 pm

There is no way 76ers trade Simmons for Grant. But if Pistons could get that done that is such a steal if it's only grant + 1-2 picks. Say whatever you want about Ben Simmons but he's still leaps and bounds better than Jerami Grant.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,622

Post#16 » by shrink » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:27 pm

People can correct me if I’m wrong here, but I have always seen Keith Pompei as kind of a mouthpiece for Morey.

What I don’t understand is how it benefits Morey to say his list contains two players of such different values?

Is he trying to say, “Well, I’m still open to Harden, but I got tired of people mocking me for having such high demands?” This comes right after the “30 players on our list” story, so with 30 teams, it’s kind of saying an unreasonable Morey would trade Simmons for each team’s most valuable player.

Is this his way of testing the waters on PHI response to more legitimate returns for Simmons value at this point? If so, why mention Harden, and remind the dreaming PHI fans of their dreams?

I don’t get it.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 3,915

Post#17 » by chilluminati » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:10 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
chilluminati wrote:Ahh what a story. But please god spare us in Detroit. We literally JUST GOT CADE. We've been irrelevant since 2008 ... PLEASE don't do this to us. Unless Ben comes in and says "Hey I'm Draymond Green at the 4 now", I want absolutely nothing to do with that man stinking up our potential with his terrible attitude and work ethic. Ben's mentality is actually the opposite of what a Detroit fan values. In terms of values, I'd rather have Josh Jackson than Ben on our team 10/10 times.

Why would they want cade, a really ball dominante point forward and pair him with another ball dominnant point forward..... who cant score.

I think it's a bit irresponsible to say Cade can't score. But I don't disagree with the ball dominant part. I would never want Ben on my team, it's more or less a worst case scenario if we did get him, I'd want him in a Draymond role.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,296

Post#18 » by GunnerWRX » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:10 pm

Sounds likes a douche's list of potential girl friends.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,082

Post#19 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:18 pm

chilluminati wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:

I think it's a bit irresponsible to say Cade can't score. But I don't disagree with the ball dominant part. I would never want Ben on my team, it's more or less a worst case scenario if we did get him, I'd want him in a Draymond role.

I meant Ben can’t score not Cade. I love cade
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#20 » by Temuhjan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:35 pm

I am sure Little Benny will be infinitely more tradeable if he is on an annual salary of $23m rather than $33m.

Granted, the thing is the trade market is going nowhere at the moment. The teams are all waiting for Dec 15. In the meantime, the rumour mill takes over and provides us with all sorts of crazy theories.

Return to Wiretap Discussion