Re: New York Officials Estimate Moving Madison Square Garden Would Cost Taxpayers $8.6 Billion

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

New York Officials Estimate Moving Madison Square Garden Would Cost Taxpayers $8.6 Billion 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:14 pm

During a confidential meeting of Empire State Development Corporation, officials said it would cost taxpayers $8.6 billion to relocate Madison Square Garden in order to expand Penn Station. The estimate includes $5 billion to purchase new land and construct a replacement arena.

Officials said the public would have to eat the cost “to avoid lingering MSG complications that would arise with no buyout,” according to minutes from the meeting.

MSG was granted a 50-year operating permit in 1963 and the Dolans asked for a permit in perpetuity in 2013. Instead, they were given 10 years to move.

MSG also does not pay property taxes on the building. 

Via Clayton Guse/New York Daily News

bbalnation
Sixth Man
And1: 954

Re: New York Officials Estimate Moving Madison Square Garden Would Cost Taxpayers $8.6 Billion 

Post#2 » by bbalnation » Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:43 pm

James Dolan cleverly not paying millions in property taxes (like many other billionaires).... over decades...
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 127,000

Post#3 » by god shammgod » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:45 pm

bbalnation wrote:So not only is James Dolan cleverly not paying millions in property taxes (like many other billionaires).... over decades...

He expects people to take money out of their own pockets to improve his own profit flow, for a better building experience?

MSG is already one of the best experiences in the world. This is legal thievery done by the book.

He doesn't want to move. The city wants him to because the arena is built on top of a major transit hub and they want to expand it.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#4 » by donemilio21 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:48 pm

2 questions:
Who actually owns MSG property? Dolan or NYC?
If Dolan, why has he not paid property taxes?
bbalnation
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by bbalnation » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:50 pm

god shammgod wrote:
bbalnation wrote:So not only is James Dolan cleverly not paying millions in property taxes (like many other billionaires).... over decades...

He expects people to take money out of their own pockets to improve his own profit flow, for a better building experience?

MSG is already one of the best experiences in the world. This is legal thievery done by the book.

He doesn't want to move. The city wants him to because the arena is built on top of a major transit hub and they want to expand it.

He lobbied and politically funded to keep himself there for years. Hes gotten his share of wealth by being on top of that hub for those decades and not paying property taxes.

[url]
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2139930[/url]
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#6 » by god shammgod » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:52 pm

bbalnation wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

He lobbied and politically funded to keep himself there for years. Hes gotten his share of wealth by being on top of that hub for those decades and not paying property taxes.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2139930

i know. i just said he doesn't want to move. you said something about him wanting a better building experience.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#7 » by god shammgod » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:54 pm

donemilio21 wrote:2 questions:
Who actually owns MSG property? Dolan or NYC?
If Dolan, why has he not paid property taxes?

he owns the building. he made a deal a long time ago to not pay property taxes so he wouldn't move the team to new jersey.
bbalnation
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by bbalnation » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:54 pm

god shammgod wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
god shammgod wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2139930

i know. i just said he doesn't want to move. you said something about him wanting a better building experience.

You're right sorry. New facts came to light for me through that thread. Thanks for clarifying.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#9 » by nedleeds » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:37 pm

He doesn't want to move. Doesn't want to take money out of anyone's pockets anymore than he currently does with ticket prices, and the price of a **** beer. God.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
bbalnation
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by bbalnation » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:43 pm

nedleeds wrote:

He doesn't want to move. Doesn't want to take money out of anyone's pockets anymore than he currently does with ticket prices, and the price of a **** beer. God.

Is that all James Dolan wants? Just a few bucks from ticket prices and a beer?

$14 million per year in property taxes since the 80s not paid (not sure if his dad woulda been part of this). Since hes owned it in 1994 completely, that would be over 350 million dollars in "concessions" (without inflation). Not paid.

Thats tax payer dollar not paid that we know of. Just FYI. Its legal. I'm not okay with it though. I doubt the average person is either since they have to pay tax on everything, regardless of implicit social benefit or impact.

As of now, for-profit companies that label themselves as social enterprises that provide quantifiable social impact can not receive the same tax deductions as James Dolan in the City of New York, including in property taxes, no matter how good their accountant is.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Re: Re: New York Officials Estimate Moving Madison Square Garden Would Cost Taxpayers $8.6 Billion 

Post#11 » by Barcs » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:20 pm

Just sell the team, Jim.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#12 » by nedleeds » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:46 pm

bbalnation wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

$14 million per year in property taxes since the 80s not paid (not sure if his dad woulda been part of this). Since hes owned it in 1994 completely, that would be over 350 million dollars in "concessions" (without inflation). Not paid.

Thats tax payer dollar not paid that we know of. Just FYI. Its legal. I'm not okay with it though. I doubt the average person is either since they have to pay tax on everything, regardless of implicit social benefit or impact.

As of now, for-profit companies that label themselves as social enterprises that provide quantifiable social impact can not receive the same tax deductions as James Dolan in the City of New York, including in property taxes, no matter how good their accountant is.

Convenient that you leave out the colossal payroll taxes MSG pay, which employers are required to match, the employers that match and make Medicare and unemployment insurance possible.

You leave out the sales tax all the overpriced beer and tickets create.

You leave out all the economic activity that, when the incompetent clowns in local government allow it that a Knicks game generates around the site.

For example, I went to the home opener this year. Spent $1,000 on 2 tickets in club level ... I paid tax on those. Bought 2 beers at the game for too much money. We spent another $300 on drinks and food a couple blocks away, we tipped the staff 20% for the service. We paid sales tax on the bill. A bar packed with Knicks fans.

Cherry picking the property tax break is absurd, if you're just mad because Dolan is rich I guess that's fine but MSG when the government allows it to operate is an economic boon to the area.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
bbalnation
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by bbalnation » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:03 pm

nedleeds wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

Convenient that you leave out the colossal payroll taxes MSG pay, which employers are required to match, the employers that match and make Medicare and unemployment insurance possible.

You leave out all the economic activity that, when the incompetent clowns in local government allow it that a Knicks game generates around the site.

For example, I went to the home opener this year. Spent $1,000 on 2 tickets in club level ... I paid tax on those. Bought 2 beers at the game for too much money. We spent another $300 on drinks and food a couple blocks away, we tipped the staff 20% for the service. We paid sales tax on the bill. A bar packed with Knicks fans.

Cherry picking the property tax break is absurd, if you're just mad because Dolan is rich I guess that's fine but MSG when the government allows it to operate is an economic boon to the area.

What? What are you talking about? Every company has social impact. Every company pays its employees. Health insurance.. unemployment insurance.. Medicare... sales tax... nobody expects to be paid 4 times their net worth after not paying 350 million in property taxes.

I know you have some misdirected anger and fear, but use facts. The tax "break" hes been receiving comes from a deal that was made in 1982 that the previous owner made. He threatened to leave the city and take the Rangers, Knicks with him if he didn't have his financial $ wants met, including no property taxes.

https://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=A3081&term=2017&Memo=Y

Feel free to edit your insults away again after posting them. Or not make them at all this time. Maybe also read this before responding, that would showcase $550 million from that 1 deal (350 million plus since James Dolan took it, plus inflation):

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-madison-square-garden-penn-station-cuomo-hochul-20211120-4qwjqdf3dnhzlj5gs7vtohqo64-story.html

Its what the original realgm article is referencing.
nedleeds
General Manager

Re: Re: New York Officials Estimate Moving Madison Square Garden Would Cost Taxpayers $8.6 Billion 

Post#14 » by nedleeds » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:08 pm

I'll make it easier. If MSG leaves and is replaced by another government facility how much in property tax is that going to generate?
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,633

Post#15 » by Rainwater » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:25 pm

nedleeds wrote:
bbalnation wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

I just hate when people bring up the "tax break" argument. It only provides half the story and withholds the benefits. Most forms of government would not provide millions in taxes breaks unless they too were mutually benefiting. Provide the whole story instead of omitting facts.
bbalnation
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by bbalnation » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:32 pm

Rainwater wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
bbalnation wrote:

I just hate when people bring up the "tax break" argument. It only provides half the story and withholds the benefits. Most forms of government would not provide millions in taxes breaks unless they too were mutually benefiting. Provide the whole story instead of omitting facts.

NY Daily News:

[Madison Square Garden and its CEO James Dolan — who also owns the Knicks and Rangers — already enjoy a lucrative tax break brokered in 1982 by then-mayor Ed Koch when the venue’s former owners threatened a move to New Jersey.

The tax exemption has so far cost the state $550 million and its total cost could exceed $1 billion by 2030, according to the city’s Independent Budget Office.

Okay Rainwater. Your turn for some hard hitting facts on the other half of the story that you're implying, where the "benefits are being with-held". Show me how this is "mutually beneficial" for James Dolan, whos net worth is currently listed at 2 billion dollars (generational wealth and all) and the City of New York (and its people).

You know there are currently stadium owners who pay property taxes right? They pay sales taxes too. Health insurance, Medicare, employee taxes etc. Idk why that other guy keeps trying to misdirect the convo, but its not like the only choices are government or a billionaire working in bad faith getting the 8.5 billion hes been working towards for years.
nedleeds
General Manager

Post#17 » by nedleeds » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:35 pm

Rainwater wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
bbalnation wrote:

Just like the "Amazon pays no taxes" that people parrot. It's just an utter lie and completely misleading. They pay an absolutely astounding amount of taxes. The absurdly massive payroll they pay and expense thus offsetting revenue is then taxed at the personal level so we can fuel our bloated useless federal government. Sales taxes, property taxes, matching payroll taxes add up to a metric **** ton of cash for the government.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,633

Post#18 » by Rainwater » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:19 am

nedleeds wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

Just like the "Amazon pays no taxes" that people parrot. It's just an utter lie and completely misleading. They pay an absolutely astounding amount of taxes. The absurdly massive payroll they pay and expense thus offsetting revenue is then taxed at the personal level so we can fuel our bloated useless federal government. Sales taxes, property taxes, matching payroll taxes add up to a metric **** ton of cash for the government.

I don't know about the "bloated government" part but I do agree with most of this. I just believe that these contracts done between companies and governments are mutually beneficial, if it wasn't neither party would take part.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#19 » by dice » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:28 am

nedleeds wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
nedleeds wrote:

the military is grossly bloated...but not useless

infrastructure...pretty damn useful

social security...drastically reduced the level of senior poverty. pretty useful, i'd say

medicare...you have to be pretty rich to retire without it...private insurers would charge a king's ransom to provide your old ass health care

food, water and air travel safety standards/testing...i'm good with that

etc. ad nauseum

getting back on topic...wtf do they mean "move MSG." building a new facility would NOT be MSG whether they name it that or not
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#20 » by RipCityKJ » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:10 am

dice wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

the military is grossly bloated...but not useless

infrastructure...pretty damn useful

social security...drastically reduced the level of senior poverty. pretty useful, i'd say

medicare...you have to be pretty rich to retire without it...private insurers would charge a king's ransom to provide your old ass health care

food, water and air travel safety standards/testing...i'm good with that

etc. ad nauseum

getting back on topic...wtf do they mean "move MSG." building a new facility would NOT be MSG whether they name it that or not

All these supposed great things that our tax dollars pay for have been depleting and getting worse while meddle and low income workers pay the most taxes and the richest 1% has gained astronomic amounts of wealth while paying little to no taxes.

The military wastes trillions a year, it is one of the worlds largest polluter of green house gases ( https://qz.com/1655268/us-military-is-a-bigger-polluter-than-140-countries-combined/ ) and the only success in the last 30 years have been the hedge funds formed by defense contractors who got billions in grants to develop weapons that they then sold to the Saudis all for a profit and not paying a dime in taxes while using all tax payer funded money to build their empires.

Infrastructure - We haven't have a grade above C- in 30 years with some the worst roads in the developed world, depleting bridges that could collapse at any second, thousands of buildings not up to code and the bill just passed to finally provide money to start fixing things is a joke, the second most expensive part of the bill is over $250 billion in tax breaks for the top 500 richest Americans who through a new SALT tax reduction.

Social Security - Will be depleted by 2034 according to AARP and multiple other resources, I'm 35 and have paid SS tax since I was 14 but will never be able to collect on it. My father luckily has a great pension but my mom was self employed and at 68 her monthly SS payment is less then $1200, I could not imagine paying SS tax for 50 years and only getting $1200 to live off of.

Medicare - Again my mother is on medicare and they just removed all dental and vision from Medicare, she has to pay out of pocket for that and her premiums went up while her overall coverage went down. For the last decade there has been a steady fall in services and preventive care in the medicare system.

Food & Water: I remember not to long ago the mile long lines of people waiting to get food that was not provided by our government but by local charities. Ask the people of Flint how well the government takes care of our water, their not the only ones look at South Chicago Indiana or Washington DC itself has a huge lead problem. As for Air safety, have you not seen the numerous stories of people beating fly staff, causing outburst that lead to emergency landings or how about the Boeing 737Max?

etc. ad nauseam

Return to Wiretap Discussion