Damian Lillard's Camp Selling Idea Of Extension With Blazers, Trading Vets With Value

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Damian Lillard's Camp Selling Idea Of Extension With Blazers, Trading Vets With Value 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Dec 7, 2021 8:37 pm

Damian Lillard would like to sign a two-year, $107 million extension with the Portland Trail Blazers in July, and he and his agent will need the franchise's next general manager to sell ownership on the idea.

Lillard is already owed $48.8 million in 2024-25, and a new contract would pay him $51 million at 35 years old and $55 million at 36.

Lillard's camp is privately selling the idea of trading his veteran teammates with value to rebuild around him on the new extension. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,203

Re: Damian Lillard's Camp Selling Idea Of Extension With Blazers, Trading Vets With Value 

Post#2 » by King4Day » Tue Dec 7, 2021 9:39 pm

If I'm Portland, I check the market for my players. If I can't get a return that I see will lead to a possible deep playoff run, I move Lillard and start over. Big risk paying him that money. It smells of Wall's contract (despite being the better player
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Re: Damian Lillard's Camp Selling Idea Of Extension With Blazers, Trading Vets With Value 

Post#3 » by the_process » Tue Dec 7, 2021 10:46 pm

I feel like this ends with Portland just deciding to move Lillard on their own without discussing it with him, and Lillard finding out via Twitter and flipping out.

They won't want to give him that extension.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,062

Post#4 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Dec 7, 2021 10:49 pm

the_process wrote:I feel like this ends with Portland just deciding to move Lillard on their own without discussing it with him, and Lillard finding out via Twitter and flipping out.

the guy cant even laugh without pain, how is he discussing an extension :lol: ?
the_process
RealGM

Post#5 » by the_process » Tue Dec 7, 2021 10:51 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:
the_process wrote:I feel like this ends with Portland just deciding to move Lillard on their own without discussing it with him, and Lillard finding out via Twitter and flipping out.

The cynic in me thinks that since Lillard doesn't feel like he can request a trade after the whole loyalty spiel... he's going to force the Blazers to be the "bad guys".

As a Sixer fan, I'm out on Dame. I could be talked into a straight up deal for Simmons, but that's about it. I realize Portland fans will hate that, and that's their prerogative.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,702

Post#6 » by dougthonus » Tue Dec 7, 2021 11:33 pm

Blazers best course of action is to trade Lillard. They don't have the assets to rebuild around him. You can't trade veteran players for better veteran players. They don't have valuable cheap guys or valuable prospects and their pick to the Bulls protected for four years puts weird protections on what they can do with future picks too.

They don't have the assets or time to rebuild around Dame. If they can find a Harden like offer somewhere they should take it. If Philly wants to give them Simmons and future picks and swaps that might be the best they could do. Maybe Murray + picks makes sense from Denver's perspective too.

Not sure there are tons of options though since so many teams have guys that aren't good fits with Lillard or already traded boatloads of future picks and don't have the right types of offers available.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Wildcat
RealGM
And1: 1,389

Post#7 » by Wildcat » Wed Dec 8, 2021 1:22 am

This has been dragging on for years. If he wants to win, it won't be in Portland. I appreciate the loyalty, but there comes a time where if nothing is sticking, it's time to move on.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,422

Post#8 » by Knick4Real » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:34 am

the_process wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:

The cynic in me thinks that since Lillard doesn't feel like he can request a trade after the whole loyalty spiel... he's going to force the Blazers to be the "bad guys".

As a Sixer fan, I'm out on Dame. I could be talked into a straight up deal for Simmons, but that's about it. I realize Portland fans will hate that, and that's their prerogative.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Dame is not stupid. He realizes he can't win in Portland and the team doesn't have the assets to correctly build around him in the time left on his career. He just doesn't want to be the guy to say he wants out. He wants the team to pull the trigger for him so he can save face.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#9 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:45 am

Knick4Real wrote:
the_process wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:the guy cant even laugh without pain, how is he discussing an extension ?

This is exactly what I was thinking. Dame is not stupid. He realizes he can't win in Portland and the team doesn't have the assets to correctly build around him in the time left on his career. He just doesn't want to be the guy to say he wants out. He wants the team to pull the trigger for him so he can save face.
I think you're onto something. It's a smart move by him. Saying he wants to be traded hurts his value. This could save/help his brand and also help Portland see the writing on the wall faster.

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,085

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:49 am

Agreed with some of you guys. This to me is an attempt to figure out a way to force a trade without it seeming like he's forcing a trade. There's no way the Blazers would do what he's asking I don't believe. It's like me saying "I'll be glad to stay with you guys but you need to get me [a checklist of ridiculous things] for me to commit to you".
BullsOnParade99
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#11 » by BullsOnParade99 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:26 am

the_process wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:

lmao@this...."I could be talked into a straight up deal"....yeah, I bet you could :lol:

As a Texans fan, I'm out on Mahomes. I could be talked into a straight up deal for Watson, but that's about it. I realize KC fans will hate that, and that's their prerogative.
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,926

Post#12 » by islanders11040 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 6:32 am

this dude is literally on year 1 of his current 4 year contract and hes already demanding extensions? wtf :noway:
Big_Aristotle
Junior
And1: 242

Post#13 » by Big_Aristotle » Wed Dec 8, 2021 10:35 am

dougthonus wrote:Blazers best course of action is to trade Lillard. They don't have the assets to rebuild around him. You can't trade veteran players for better veteran players. They don't have valuable cheap guys or valuable prospects and their pick to the Bulls protected for four years puts weird protections on what they can do with future picks too.

They don't have the assets or time to rebuild around Dame. If they can find a Harden like offer somewhere they should take it. If Philly wants to give them Simmons and future picks and swaps that might be the best they could do. Maybe Murray + picks makes sense from Denver's perspective too.

Not sure there are tons of options though since so many teams have guys that aren't good fits with Lillard or already traded boatloads of future picks and don't have the right types of offers available.

I really agree with this. The Blazers are not going anywhere with this roster and they depleted their options to improve it significantly. They will get a haul for Lillard who is still under a long-term contract. If they get Simmons with picks, they will get back decent value from Simmons as they no longer have the toxic situation with him and the 76ers. Also CJ will get back decent value. All things combined, they would be setup for a nice rebuild.
the_process
RealGM

Post#14 » by the_process » Wed Dec 8, 2021 12:54 pm

BullsOnParade99 wrote:
the_process wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:the guy cant even laugh without pain, how is he discussing an extension :lol: ?

lmao@this...."I could be talked into a straight up deal"....yeah, I bet you could :lol:

As a Texans fan, I'm out on Mahomes. I could be talked into a straight up deal for Watson, but that's about it. I realize KC fans will hate that, and that's their prerogative.

Mock it all you want. Dude is hurt and backwardsly requesting a trade. And before he was hurt his game looked like it fell off a cliff. Add to that he wants a 2 year 100M extension on top of the 150M? whatever it is he has left. Unless it's a steal, POR can find another buyer.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#15 » by D21 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 2:42 pm

islanders11040 wrote:this dude is literally on year 1 of his current 4 year contract and hes already demanding extensions? wtf :noway:

It's written "Damian Lillard's camp"... so mainly his agent. Do you think that an agent wouldn't prefer extension, the easiest move that make them more money ?
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 9:55 pm

islanders11040 wrote:this dude is literally on year 1 of his current 4 year contract and hes already demanding extensions? wtf :noway:

Better than asking for a trade.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 9:58 pm

Big_Aristotle wrote:
dougthonus wrote:Blazers best course of action is to trade Lillard. They don't have the assets to rebuild around him. You can't trade veteran players for better veteran players. They don't have valuable cheap guys or valuable prospects and their pick to the Bulls protected for four years puts weird protections on what they can do with future picks too.

I really agree with this. The Blazers are not going anywhere with this roster and they depleted their options to improve it significantly. They will get a haul for Lillard who is still under a long-term contract. If they get Simmons with picks, they will get back decent value from Simmons as they no longer have the toxic situation with him and the 76ers. Also CJ will get back decent value. All things combined, they would be setup for a nice rebuild.

CJ McCollum maybe with PDX thru this season now after the collapsed lung. Should they just tank the rest of this season. Do they really have many options?
BullsOnParade99
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#18 » by BullsOnParade99 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 11:46 pm

the_process wrote:
BullsOnParade99 wrote:
the_process wrote:

Mock it all you want. Dude is hurt and backwardsly requesting a trade. And before he was hurt his game looked like it fell off a cliff. Add to that he wants a 2 year 100M extension on top of the 150M? whatever it is he has left. Unless it's a steal, POR can find another buyer.

and what is Ben Simmons? A dude with a broken jump shot, broken confidence, a bad contract, and a player who refuses to play for your franchise. The Sixers should've traded him 2 years ago if they wanted to get a James Harden like haul. Literally anything is better than what he's giving that franchise right now (or in the future).

Dame could still pull that kind of haul, you're kidding yourself if you don't think teams will pay that price for him.

Return to Wiretap Discussion