Bradley Beal 'Embracing Being Able To Dictate What I Want Future To Be, Where I Want It To Be'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bradley Beal 'Embracing Being Able To Dictate What I Want Future To Be, Where I Want It To Be' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:12 pm

Bradley Beal remains eligible for a contract extension with the Washington Wizards and is open-minded about his future. The extension would be worth approximately $181 million over four years starting during the 22-23 season, or he could wait to the offseason and sign a brand new five-year, $242 million contract.

"I have time," said Beal. "I kind of hold the cards right now. I've one never been in this position. Right? I'm kind of embracing that. Kind of being able to dictate what I want my future to be and where I want it to be. 

"And at the same time I'm giving Shep that opportunity to show that it's working. At the same time I'm not going to make that grand commitment and it doesn't work. Ultimately, you have to be selfish at some point. For probably the first time in my career, year 10, I am. 

"My full commitment is to the team. I want it to work. I've contributed to being here. I've committed to being here twice. Now I want to see that commitment to me as well. That we can create a winning team here, a winning environment. Granted, I'm a part of that. I have to make sure I'm stepping up and doing my thing just as well."

Via Chris Haynes/Yahoo! Sports

blahblah312
Sophomore
And1: 18

Re: Bradley Beal 'Embracing Being Able To Dictate What I Want Future To Be, Where I Want It To Be' 

Post#2 » by blahblah312 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 4:44 pm

A full max will cripple whatever team sign him. Time for another lockout when one player eats into 50% of cap things are out of wack, when the players who built the league got pennies and no benefits
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Re: Bradley Beal 'Embracing Being Able To Dictate What I Want Future To Be, Where I Want It To Be' 

Post#3 » by njknicks » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:15 pm

blahblah312 wrote:A full max will cripple whatever team sign him. Time for another lockout when one player eats into 50% of cap things are out of wack, when the players who built the league got pennies and no benefits

The 2024 NBA TV deal will make Bradley Beal's extension look like a "reasonable" deal -- role players will wind up making what all-stars are making today.

Bradley Beal should sign the 5 year max deal with opt out for 2024
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,039

Post#4 » by ItsDanger » Wed Dec 8, 2021 5:28 pm

Nice sentiment, saying the right things. Lets look at this from a different angle. Perhaps his objective is 95% maximizing income potential? Therefore, his actions and words line up 100%.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
lastemp3ror
Junior
And1: 107

Post#5 » by lastemp3ror » Wed Dec 8, 2021 6:18 pm

njknicks wrote:
blahblah312 wrote:A full max will cripple whatever team sign him. Time for another lockout when one player eats into 50% of cap things are out of wack, when the players who built the league got pennies and no benefits

The 2024 NBA TV deal will make Bradley Beal's extension look like a "reasonable" deal -- role players will wind up making what all-stars are making today.

Bradley Beal should sign the 5 year max deal with opt out for 2024

I am pretty sure nobody is going to give him a 2 year guaranteed deal with player options AND give him the Max. If he wants to bet that he will get more money in 2024, then he should sign for 2 years and roll the dice on his health, value, and that tv deal.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#6 » by HotelVitale » Wed Dec 8, 2021 6:21 pm

Not sure who you think should get a max if not someone like Beal. Elite scorer, top-25 player at worst, can play with other stars, still in his early prime. It's also not possible to 'eat into 50% of cap'--the biggest contract Beal could possibly get would still put him well below that. The contract would still be not only tradeable but very valuable, too, provided Beal doesn't have a catastrophic injury. He's not the type of player anyone's really sweating maxing out.

I just re-read your post--are you seriously arguing that players shouldn't make a lot of money now because early NBA guys didn't? Do you want the owners to just pocket the money that the league makes? It's a business and the players just make a set portion of its income.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#7 » by meekrab » Wed Dec 8, 2021 6:44 pm

The players and league need to come together and modify the CBA so that they stop paying over the hill dudes 50 million bucks when they're 35 while the best players in the league make half that.
blahblah312
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#8 » by blahblah312 » Wed Dec 8, 2021 9:07 pm

HotelVitale wrote:

Not sure who you think should get a max if not someone like Beal. Elite scorer, top-25 player at worst, can play with other stars, still in his early prime. It's also not possible to 'eat into 50% of cap'--the biggest contract Beal could possibly get would still put him well below that. The contract would still be not only tradeable but very valuable, too, provided Beal doesn't have a catastrophic injury. He's not the type of player anyone's really sweating maxing out.

I just re-read your post--are you seriously arguing that players shouldn't make a lot of money now because early NBA guys didn't? Do you want the owners to just pocket the money that the league makes? It's a business and the players just make a set portion of its income.

No I want more players to get an increase and the fans to afford the cost of attending if they feel like it and the older vets to get bigger pensions from more money from tv allocated. Nobody going to take a vet min to play with beal and not get a ring
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Dec 8, 2021 11:23 pm

It's funny to me that people seem to think CJ McCollum is overpaid AND Beal is worth 5/$242M. Both can't be true. To me, Beal is exactly what CJ would be if he was on a crappy EC team with a license to chuck. They are almost the same player but CJ has been #2 to Lillard his entire career and he's had to do it in the West.

If WAS is smart they will trade Beal now and let some other sucker give Beal a quarter of a billion dollars!
SportsTycoon
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#10 » by SportsTycoon » Thu Dec 9, 2021 12:45 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:It's funny to me that people seem to think CJ McCollum is overpaid AND Beal is worth 5/$242M. Both can't be true. To me, Beal is exactly what CJ would be if he was on a crappy EC team with a license to chuck. They are almost the same player but CJ has been #2 to Lillard his entire career and he's had to do it in the West.

If WAS is smart they will trade Beal now and let some other sucker give Beal a quarter of a billion dollars!

Your funny during Beals whole career in Washington, Wall has been hurt and he isnt the same caliber of shooter as Dame. Also they had to compete with King James, Atlanta when Budenholzer was coach and a Hungry Toronto team. Lets not forget Embid and a surging Milwaukee team. Dont forget nobody was able to stop King James from going to the finals for nearly a decade.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Dec 9, 2021 1:33 am

SportsTycoon wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:It's funny to me that people seem to think CJ McCollum is overpaid AND Beal is worth 5/$242M. Both can't be true. To me, Beal is exactly what CJ would be if he was on a crappy EC team with a license to chuck. They are almost the same player but CJ has been #2 to Lillard his entire career and he's had to do it in the West.

Your funny during Beals whole career in Washington, Wall has been hurt and he isnt the same caliber of shooter as Dame. Also they had to compete with King James, Atlanta when Budenholzer was coach and a Hungry Toronto team. Lets not forget Embid and a surging Milwaukee team. Dont forget nobody was able to stop King James from going to the finals for nearly a decade.

Everything you say is true, but I'm not sure that it is relevant to my point. I was comparing similar players in different situations. I was not crediting or blaming those players for their team's situation. I think it is ironic that these two nearly identical players are thought of so differently and the one on the more successful team is viewed as far less valuable. POR has Dame so CJ is overlooked.

Career #'s Per36:

CJ - 6' 3" (JUST TURNED 30)
22 PTS
4 REB
4 AST
.453 FG%
.397 3PT%
.552 TS%
.524 eFG%

Beal - 6' 3" (28 AND 1/2)
23 PTS
4 REB
4 AST
.456 FG%
.373 3PT%
.562 TS%
.519 eFG%

These guys are the same dude and somehow CJ is overpaid but Beal deserves a quarter billion? You don't find this ironic?
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,881

Post#12 » by deeps6x » Thu Dec 9, 2021 4:35 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
SportsTycoon wrote:

Everything you say is true, but I'm not sure that it is relevant to my point. I was comparing similar players in different situations. I was not crediting or blaming those players for their team's situation. I think it is ironic that these two nearly identical players are thought of so differently and the one on the more successful team is viewed as far less valuable. POR has Dame so CJ is overlooked.

Career #'s Per36:

22 PTS
4 REB
4 AST
.453 FG%
.397 3PT%
.552 TS%
.524 eFG%

23 PTS
4 REB
4 AST
.456 FG%
.373 3PT%
.562 TS%
.519 eFG%

These guys are the same dude and somehow CJ is overpaid but Beal deserves a quarter billion? You don't find this ironic?

LOL. Thanks for opening my eyes to their nearly identical stats. BUT, Beal was still the main focal point on his team. CJ was #2 on his, so he would often be defended by a slightly inferior defender.

But like you said, damn, they sure do look like the same player.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#13 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Dec 9, 2021 7:31 pm

deeps6x wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
SportsTycoon wrote:

Career #'s Per36:

22 PTS
4 REB
4 AST
.453 FG%
.397 3PT%
.552 TS%
.524 eFG%

23 PTS
4 REB
4 AST
.456 FG%
.373 3PT%
.562 TS%
.519 eFG%

LOL. Thanks for opening my eyes to their nearly identical stats. BUT, Beal was still the main focal point on his team. CJ was #2 on his, so he would often be defended by a slightly inferior defender.

You've got a point. But typically CJ's numbers are better when Dame is out. This year is an aberration because I don't think even Billups knows what Billups wants them to do.

I also think it's ironic that people talk about CJ like he's old and Beal like he's in his prime. CJ is about 18 months older but Beal has played about 4,000 more NBA minutes, which might be more important than calendar age.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#14 » by puja21 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:52 pm

Sky is falling much?

Fortunately, despite your unfounded panic, the CBA is very clear such that one player literally can't consume 50% of the cap

The $242M super max starts at 35% of the cap (in the year it starts in)

Even with by the most conservative estimates (based on recent cap change even amid covid) the cap will go up +3% annually in each of the next 3 summers <-- and that assumption is exactly what the $242M extension mentioned here is based on.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#15 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:39 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
deeps6x wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:Everything you say is true, but I'm not sure that it is relevant to my point. I was comparing similar players in different situations. I was not crediting or blaming those players for their team's situation. I think it is ironic that these two nearly identical players are thought of so differently and the one on the more successful team is viewed as far less valuable. POR has Dame so CJ is overlooked.

Career #'s Per36:

22 PTS
4 REB
4 AST
.453 FG%
.397 3PT%
.552 TS%
.524 eFG%

23 PTS
4 REB
4 AST
.456 FG%
.373 3PT%
.562 TS%
.519 eFG%

You've got a point. But typically CJ's numbers are better when Dame is out. This year is an aberration because I don't think even Billups knows what Billups wants them to do.

I also think it's ironic that people talk about CJ like he's old and Beal like he's in his prime. CJ is about 18 months older but Beal has played about 4,000 more NBA minutes, which might be more important than calendar age.
I haven't looked up the numbers to verify but for a couple years I've felt Zach LaVine, D. Booker, CJ McCollum, Donovan Mitchell, and B. Beal were all basically the same. I saw the most potential in ZL.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Wiretap Discussion