Draymond Green: We Couldn't Have Continued Dominance Without Adding Kevin Durant In 2016

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 234

Draymond Green: We Couldn't Have Continued Dominance Without Adding Kevin Durant In 2016 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:14 pm

While the Golden State Warriors won 73 games during the season before signing Kevin Durant, there is a belief from Draymond Green that signing him was more of a necessity than a luxury. 

"I don't think that would have continued on without Kevin," Green told ESPN. "Everybody started defending us a certain way, and it got a lot tougher. Every team in the NBA has started building their team to compete against us, to be able to guard us, to literally match us. So I think as great as it was -- and I have no doubt in my mind we would have been right there again -- I do also think it was getting way tougher for us to figure out.

"And then we added Kevin and it wasn't."

While the Warriors fairly comfortably won a championship in 2017, they very nearly lost to the Houston Rockets in 2018, and then lost to the Toronto Raptors in 2019 with Durant out for nearly the entire Finals. 

Via Kevin Arnovitz/ESPN

jozef
Rookie
And1: 22

Re: Draymond Green: We Couldn't Have Continued Dominance Without Adding Kevin Durant In 2016 

Post#2 » by jozef » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:55 pm

BS.
They were 73-9!!!
Nobody could solve them.
Luxury KD signing was a cheap move.
"You can have all the stars you want, but I'd rather have a team full of guys I can depend on, who work hard and play together."...(John Stockton)
Pickled Prunes
Lead Assistant
And1: 727

Re: Draymond Green: We Couldn't Have Continued Dominance Without Adding Kevin Durant In 2016 

Post#3 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:30 pm

jozef wrote:BS.
They were 73-9!!!
Nobody could solve them.

Agreed. They would have been the favorites to come out of the West either way. But basketball is way more interesting when a team is dominating without stacking the deck. I am not a GSW fan, but I loved watching them emerge... until the KD signing. Then I lost interest.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,844

Post#4 » by jigga_man » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:27 am

They were 73-9!!!
Nobody could solve them.

A healthy Cavs team did. It took the Warriors six games to win to beat the Cavs in 2015 when they were missing two out of their three best players. Pluck two out the three best players on any team right now and see if they even end up in the playoffs.

Draymond is not stupid. He knows the Warriors was fools gold before Durant. Harrison Barnes as their starting 3 weren't winning anything in 2017 & 2018.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,039

Post#5 » by DoItALL9 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:26 am

jigga_man wrote:
They were 73-9!!!
Nobody could solve them.

A healthy Cavs team did. It took the Warriors six games to win to beat the Cavs in 2015 when they were missing two out of their three best players. Pluck two out the three best players on any team right now and see if they even end up in the playoffs.

Draymond is not stupid. He knows the Warriors was fools gold before Durant. Harrison Barnes as their starting 3 weren't winning anything in 2017 & 2018.
If KD doesn't get hurt in the Finals in 2019
do you think they would've won?

If KD was healthy and he resigns after 2019 do you think they win in 2020 & 2021? (Klay is still out in this hypo)

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,039

Post#6 » by DoItALL9 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:27 am

jigga_man wrote:
They were 73-9!!!
Nobody could solve them.

I agree with your assumptions about 2017 & 2018 without KD.

jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,844

Post#7 » by jigga_man » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:20 am

DoItALL9 wrote:
jigga_man wrote:
They were 73-9!!!
Nobody could solve them.

If KD was healthy and he resigns after 2019 do you think they win in 2020 & 2021? (Klay is still out in this hypo)

2019, definately. 2020 was so chaotic with the bubble and COVID, who knows (especially with Klay out).
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 223

Post#8 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:57 am

DoItALL9 wrote:
jigga_man wrote:
They were 73-9!!!
Nobody could solve them.

They went to the NBA finals without KD.. They would of won the finals if Klay wasn't injured They didn't even need Durant.. Better with him sure but they could win with out him
hyberx
Sixth Man
And1: 285

Post#9 » by hyberx » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:25 am

jigga_man wrote:
They were 73-9!!!
Nobody could solve them.

A healthy Cavs team did not beat a healthy Ws team in 2016, not in the regular season nor the postseason, until Green was suspended and both Iggy and Bogut got hurt. That's missing 3 out of the W's 5-men regular finishing lineup, basically the same point you are making.
dice
RealGM
And1: 10,948

Post#10 » by dice » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:33 am

jigga_man wrote:
They were 73-9!!!
Nobody could solve them.

73-9 ain't fools gold by any stretch of the definition

are the warriors fool's gold now?
biden outperformed clinton in EVERY state. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 elections, none of them rigged

Return to Wiretap Discussion