76ers Trying To Attach Tobias Harris In Trade Of Ben Simmons

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

76ers Trying To Attach Tobias Harris In Trade Of Ben Simmons 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:19 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers have begun to attach Tobias Harris to their trade discussions of Ben Simmons, according to Brian Windhorst and Marc J. Spears of ESPN.

Harris signed a five-year, $180 million deal with the 76ers during the 2019 offseason.

"I'm hearing they want to include Tobias Harris," said Spears of Philadelphia's trade talks with the Atlanta Hawks. 

"Me too," replied Windhorst. 

"That is the word out there because they can't necessarily get an All-Star they want in return right now, as the Sixers have continued their talks, they've talked to teams about trading Tobias and Ben."

Spears also reported that the Hawks had interest in a trade for Simmons until the 76ers broached the possibility of including Harris. 

Via Brian Windhorst, Marc J. Spears/ESPN

BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Re: 76ers Trying To Attach Tobias Harris In Trade Of Ben Simmons 

Post#2 » by BigHustle » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:04 pm

Disgruntled all star that can’t make free throws + bloated contract = Good luck Daryl
Fadeaway_J
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,700

Post#3 » by Fadeaway_J » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:28 pm

BigHustle wrote:Disgruntled all star that can’t make free throws + bloated contract = Good luck Daryl

Not to worry, they'll sweeten the deal by adding a non All-Star on a bloated contract. :lol:
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#4 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:33 pm

This may be specific to Atlanta because of what they have to offer.

Harris/Collins/Embiid just wouldn't work on the court.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Jones
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,635

Post#5 » by BigGargamel » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:45 pm

Jesus, Morey is the worst.

I have a guy like this in my fantasy football league. Fair trades were never enough, dude always had to push for something extra to make it silly. Everyone just stopped trading with him all together. Morey is that guy in real life.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,020

Post#6 » by Revived » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:53 pm

BigGargamel wrote:Jesus, Morey is the worst.

I have a guy like this in my fantasy football league. Fair trades were never enough, dude always had to push for something extra to make it silly. Everyone just stopped trading with him all together. Morey is that guy in real life.

Sounds like the guy in your fantasy league may have been Danny Ainge.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,259

Post#7 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:16 pm

Who in the league has 70 million in salary to move around like that, to add play now pieces and an allstar to bascially step backward? The worst.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,674

Post#8 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:20 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:

Who in the league has 70 million in salary to move around like that, to add play now pieces and an allstar to bascially step backward? The worst.

Guys, this is two journalists loosely jawing on a podcast about very vague things. They're basically telegraphing that they haven't heard much of substance or any serious conversations.

There's no need to create a caricature of Morey as delusional or crazy. He's made many trades in the past and they were all reasonable deals that made sense for both sides. Whenever he's serious about making a trade his track record tells us he can get a reasonable one done.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 655

Post#9 » by D21 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:33 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:This may be specific to Atlanta because of what they have to offer.

And in the eventuality that Harris performs with the same impact that Collins in ATL, him costing 10M more than Collins per year, it would like adding Simmons for 33+10 so 43M per year... and certainly loosing more than one other guy to get that.
Is there really someone who think ATL will get better by doing that ?

This PHI lineup would not work best, but it's still three guys that can shoot 3pts.
On the other side, ATL would get a center and a guard that can't shoot 3pts... this does make no sense, just no sense at all.
Some media are ready to say anything to create news, but failed to give any good argument about that, and there is nobody to ask them to explain.
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 179

Post#10 » by puja21 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:16 pm

Revived wrote:

Sounds like the guy in your fantasy league may have been Danny Ainge.

Ainge and Morey pretty similar in their trade records. Both stingy but on aggregate seem to have brought in more value than sent out
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,256

Post#11 » by Scalabrine » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:39 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Guys, this is two journalists loosely jawing on a podcast about very vague things. They're basically telegraphing that they haven't heard much of substance or any serious conversations.

There's no need to create a caricature of Morey as delusional or crazy. He's made many trades in the past and they were all reasonable deals that made sense for both sides. Whenever he's serious about making a trade his track record tells us he can get a reasonable one done.

Very rarely do announced rumors actually turn into real life trades.
Go Knicks!
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 99

Post#12 » by dubbmotta » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:56 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:

I could see the Hawks doing this..our defensive is terrible AF and John Collins keeps crying about touches and play no D...Maybe something like this:
Hawks Get:
Simmons $31.5 Mill
Tobias $36 MIll

76ers Get:
John Collins 23 Mill
Danilo $20 Mill (expiring)
Bogdan $18 MIll
Cam Reddish $4 Mill

And maybe some picks..
Altanta still have shooters in Trae, Huerter (who just signed a long contact) and the defense improves with Simmons and Hunter on the wing. Not saying I would do it but I can see Atlanta doing it. GM was on the radio saying he was going to be aggressive with trades
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#13 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:40 pm

dubbmotta wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

I could see the Hawks doing this..our defensive is terrible AF and John Collins keeps crying about touches and play no D...Maybe something like this:
Hawks Get:
Simmons $31.5 Mill
Tobias $36 MIll

76ers Get:
John Collins 23 Mill
Bogdan $18 MIll
Cam Reddish $4 Mill

And maybe some picks..
Altanta still have shooters in Trae, Huerter (who just signed a long contact) and the defense improves with Simmons and Hunter on the wing. Not saying I would do it but I can see Atlanta doing it. GM was on the radio saying he was going to be aggressive with trades

Getting Collins & Bogdan does not accomplish what the two talking heads are saying. They're saying that if Philly can't get a star for Ben, they want to free up the cap space to sign a star in FA. To me that means Philly wants Atlanta to take Simmons and pay through the nose so that OKC will take multiple years of Harris's bloated contract into their cap space. Essentially Philly would take back Gallinari's small partial guarantee for next year and some other expiring filler.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,827

Post#14 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:48 pm

BigHustle wrote:Disgruntled all star that can’t make free throws + bloated contract = Good luck Daryl

I'll trade you Simmons (who may never play at a high level again) + Harris (on a bloated contract) for a superstar and a few first round picks. Somebody will jump at this - right?
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,735

Post#15 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:03 pm

D21 wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:This may be specific to Atlanta because of what they have to offer.

And in the eventuality that Harris performs with the same impact that Collins in ATL, him costing 10M more than Collins per year, it would like adding Simmons for 33+10 so 43M per year... and certainly loosing more than one other guy to get that.
Is there really someone who think ATL will get better by doing that ?

This PHI lineup would not work best, but it's still three guys that can shoot 3pts.
On the other side, ATL would get a center and a guard that can't shoot 3pts... this does make no sense, just no sense at all.
Some media are ready to say anything to create news, but failed to give any good argument about that, and there is nobody to ask them to explain.

If Chewbacca living on Endor does not make sense—and if even mentioning Chewbacca in relation to this proposed deal does not make sense—then one must ignore this trade scenario.
ProcessDoctor
General Manager
And1: 5,153

Post#16 » by ProcessDoctor » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:04 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:

Hawks Get:
Simmons $31.5 Mill
Tobias $36 MIll

76ers Get:
John Collins 23 Mill
Bogdan $18 MIll
Cam Reddish $4 Mill

And maybe some picks..

Getting Collins & Bogdan does not accomplish what the two talking heads are saying. They're saying that if Philly can't get a star for Ben, they want to free up the cap space to sign a star in FA. To me that means Philly wants Atlanta to take Simmons and pay through the nose so that OKC will take multiple years of Harris's bloated contract into their cap space. Essentially Philly would take back Gallinari's small partial guarantee for next year and some other expiring filler.

It doesn't free up all the cap space, but it turns Ben + Tobias into smaller more movable contracts. Let's pretend it's the above trade minus Cam Reddish plus a pick.

Gallo and Danny Green can be waived (or waive + stretched). Bogdan + Curry (or Green if he isn't waived) + picks could be used in a S&T for Harden or Beal. It's not a home run but it gives Philly a young all-star caliber player plus more flexibility for a follow-up move this summer.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Council
Oubre/Batum/Martin
Harris/Covington/Jones
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,531

Post#17 » by Psubs » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:08 pm

Phi trades: Simmons, Tobias and cash
OKC trades: Favors and Muscala

PG SGA
SG Dort
SF Giddey
PF Tobias
C Simmons
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,289

Post#18 » by GunnerWRX » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:19 pm

The 76ers probably want a top 35 player in return for Tobias Harris.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,840

Post#19 » by meekrab » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:20 pm

So they want to add a negative value contract to the negative value contract they're already trying to move, in order to get more value back?
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,192

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:39 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:
Hawks Get:
Simmons $31.5 Mill
Tobias $36 MIll

76ers Get:
John Collins 23 Mill
Bogdan $18 MIll
Cam Reddish $4 Mill

And maybe some picks..

It doesn't free up all the cap space, but it turns Ben + Tobias into smaller more movable contracts. Let's pretend it's the above trade minus Cam Reddish plus a pick.

Gallo and Danny Green can be waived (or waive + stretched). Bogdan + Curry (or Green if he isn't waived) + picks could be used in a S&T for Harden or Beal. It's not a home run but it gives Philly a young all-star caliber player plus more flexibility for a follow-up move this summer.

The one thing this does do is make ATL decidedly worse.

Return to Wiretap Discussion