Pacers Looking For Two First Round Picks For Myles Turner

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Pacers Looking For Two First Round Picks For Myles Turner 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:36 pm

The Indiana Pacers are asking for a big return for big man Myles Turner. The Pacers would like either two first-round picks or a first-round pick and a young player with upside.

Turner, along with teammates Domantas Sabonis and Caris LeVert, have been on the trade block for the last month or so. Indiana is looking at a reset of their roster after back-to-back disappointing seasons.

This season, Turner is averaging 12.9 points, 7.1 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per game. He went on record recently that he'd like a bigger role in the Pacers offense.

Via Michael Scotto/HoopsHype

KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,459

Re: Pacers Looking For Two First Round Picks For Myles Turner 

Post#2 » by KembaWalker » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:24 pm

Seems uh.. optimistic
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,353

Post#3 » by PerfectJab » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:35 pm

What a ripoff!

I can't even see a contender (late 1st) going for this :lol:
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#4 » by 23artest23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:05 pm

I personally think Myles is overrated as can be but I'm in a minority on that. Fact is that he is consistently at or near the top of the league in blocked shots, he has range out beyond the arc, doesn't have baggage, he is on a pretty decent contract, and could potentially do better elsewhere as he hasn't been nor will be a focal point of an offense in Indiana. I doubt we manage two FRPs but a FRP plus a good young prospect would seem plausible. Even the two FRPs wouldn't be that awful as outside of top end lotto picks, a team isn't likely to draft a player that will be equivalent to Myles. I'm not a Myles fan and I've wanted him gone for years but even I can't ignore that he brings a skill set that few players have at the level he does.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#5 » by 23artest23 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:10 pm

PerfectJab wrote:What a ripoff!

If the Pacers would accept two late round FRPs for Myles, a contender would be silly not think long and hard about it. Late round FRPs don't have the value of lotto or mid round FRPs because little is separating them from a 2nd round pick. At times, teams even prefer an early 2nd to the late 1st. If I'm the Pacers though, I wouldn't accept two late round FRPs.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 100

Post#6 » by dubbmotta » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:34 pm

Hornets should trade a future first,protected and the center they drafted, Kai Jones I think his name is..
PerfectJab
Veteran

Post#7 » by PerfectJab » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:16 pm

23artest23 wrote:

If the Pacers would accept two late round FRPs for Myles, a contender would be silly not think long and hard about it. Late round FRPs don't have the value of lotto or mid round FRPs because little is separating them from a 2nd round pick. At times, teams even prefer an early 2nd to the late 1st. If I'm the Pacers though, I wouldn't accept two late round FRPs.

I think you underestimate the value of picks nowadays. Myles Turner is not going to put you over the top and big men don't have the same value as they used to. Team's like the Spurs and Raptors have proven that they can scout and develop talent even late into the round not to mention the salary matching implications for essentially a 1.5 year player.

The Pacers are trying to secure assets before Turner undoubtedly leaves as a FA next year. I don't see the leverage at all to demand two 1st's.
slickrickstyles
Rookie
And1: 397

Post#8 » by slickrickstyles » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:37 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
23artest23 wrote:

I think you underestimate the value of picks nowadays. Myles Turner is not going to put you over the top and big men don't have the same value as they used to. Team's like the Spurs and Raptors have proven that they can scout and develop talent even late into the round not to mention the salary matching implications for essentially a 1.5 year player.

The Pacers are trying to secure assets before Turner undoubtedly leaves as a FA next year. I don't see the leverage at all to demand two 1st's.

Myles is signed through 2022-2023
Once they have that golden shining moment and it comes to them in a dream or whatever and they understand that, that's when this team and this franchise will go to another level from where it was when I was here.

- Reggie Miller
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 530

Post#9 » by FrodoFraggins » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:58 pm

This is why he's always mentioned in trades but Indiana never makes a deal.
PerfectJab
Veteran

Post#10 » by PerfectJab » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:59 pm

slickrickstyles wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:
23artest23 wrote:

Myles is signed through 2022-2023

Exactly, next year.

Two lottery first's is not going to happen for Myles Turner.

Mid first's are treadmill teams and Turner is not going to help you out of that situation. I doubt they'd be willing to part with their picks and their future to further treadmill for Turner.

This leaves late first's.

I think there would need to be a 3rd team to make this viable and I don't think he has the value to make it worth it not to mention Billy King and Brian Colangelo are out of the league :lol:
boston_fan_ct
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#11 » by boston_fan_ct » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:06 pm

What I am hearing is they have zero intention in trading him.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,026

Post#12 » by ontnut » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:58 pm

Two first rounders without a guarantee of him re-signing is a fairly big ask, unless they're like reverse protected to the 25-30 range. Even then I'm not 100% certain I'd do it because of the matching salary required (unless you have a real bad expiring you want to dump).
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#13 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:08 pm

Memphis would be an interesting fit, and they have plenty of first round picks.
Pick a couple of late ones and I'd think about it if I was them.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#14 » by Scalabrine » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:24 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:Memphis would be an interesting fit, and they have plenty of first round picks.
Pick a couple of late ones and I'd think about it if I was them.

OOOOO love that fit. Him and Jackson protecting the paint and spreading the floor would be insane.

Adams, Lakers 22 FRP, their own 22 FRP...they'd still have the Utah FRP too! I like Adams on that team as the enforcer but thats a deal you have to make.
Go Knicks!
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#15 » by donemilio21 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:18 am

I might be mistaken, but the team that trades for Turner would also get his bird rights. That is actually really valuable for a team that is expected to be cap strapped in the summer of 2023, and would need a big man. Celtics, Mavs, Blazers, Raptors, Bucks are a few teams that come to mind. Do any of them need Turner right now?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#16 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:10 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
23artest23 wrote:

You can make the same argument that you are overestimating the value of two late FRPs. And chances are great that two late FRPs won't put anyone over the top either. As far as big men's value being not as it was, that's mitigated by Turner being more of the prototypical C for today's NBA game. Half the teams that are in contention (in the playoff hung) have the financial breadth to resign Turner should they choose to do so (with Bird Rights). There are benefits for free agents to move to new teams to be involved in sign and trades vs. just signing outright and the estimated. Two FRP's is too broad a range to say yes or no in terms of realistic demand. Two likely bottom FRP's are worth a whole lot less than potentially two lottery caliber FRPs.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,084

Post#17 » by moocow007 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:14 pm

donemilio21 wrote:I might be mistaken, but the team that trades for Turner would also get his bird rights. That is actually really valuable for a team that is expected to be cap strapped in the summer of 2023, and would need a big man. Celtics, Mavs, Blazers, Raptors, Bucks are a few teams that come to mind. Do any of them need Turner right now?

Yes a team that trades for Turner would get his Bird Rights. It is valuable.

For max cats having their Bird Rights are super duper valuable since the team that has their Bird can offer a that player a contract that is A LOT LOT more than any other team in free agency. For guys like Turner (i.e. not max cat) it still is very valuable since teams without cap space would have to work a sign and trade and Turner himself would likely still benefit from a contract standpoint via sign-and-trade instead of just signing outright with whatever team he may want to go to (this has to do with things like length of contract, size of contract even if it's not max, salary relief for the team he'd be heading to, etc.) as well as leaving on better terms with his former team (which helps players and especially agents who will want to continue to be have good working relationships with the players old team, etc.) Turner's contract is not as big a detriment/risk as some people may be thinking it is.

As far as teams interested only being teams that have an absolute need for a C? That's not always true. Turner the player has a lot of value (he's only 25 and not even in his prime, he's got skills that fit todays NBA, can argue that in a different system he actually can become more dominant, etc.) be it as a core player moving forward or as an asset. So even a team like the Knicks, who you can argue doesn't need a C, could be interested cause Turner would give them an asset (the assumption of course is that they can get him, like they got Cam Reddish, at a bargain) for future moves OR it can allow them to explore trading their own C (Mitchell Robinson) now because they themselves don't want to invest in Robinson beyond this season (arguments for or against). Or you hold onto both and see what teams are willing to do in the offseason. Not always just about "do they need the guy right now". Need is relative and timelines are different for each team.

Specific to this rumor, the "2 FRP" demand needs to be qualified. What projection are on those 2 FRP's? Depending on where those picks projects it could be a very reasonable expectation or a big stretch of an expectation. FRP's don't have the same value just because they are FRPs though fans love the fantasy of drafting.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#18 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:53 pm

This might not happen now

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,232

Post#19 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:25 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:This might not happen now

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

I'm guessing you mean because of the current injury? Kinda depends on whether teams saw him as immediate help (and I think he's only out a couple of weeks, right?) or whether they'd be making a play for having him in the playoffs, plus getting Bird rights.
I'd still stand by my thoughts around Memphis being a team that could get him, and should at least kick the tyres.

Return to Wiretap Discussion