Lakers Have 'No Current Plans' To Fire Frank Vogel

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Lakers Have 'No Current Plans' To Fire Frank Vogel 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 am

Frank Vogel was nearly fired as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers, but he appears to be safe for now.

“There are no current plans” to replace Vogel, according to people with knowledge of the situation. 

The Lakers defeated the Utah Jazz on Monday, which took him off the hot seat. 

Rob Pelinka and Kurt Rambis met with Vogel and David Fizdale after last week's loss to the Sacramento Kings. It was third time the group has met in recent days. Rambis then attended the Lakers' pregame coaches meeting before the Utah game. Rambis advocated for the Lakers to use bigger lineups with Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan. 

Vogel helped guide the Lakers to a title in his first season with the team, but he was only given a one-year extension before the start of this season.

Via Dan Woike, Broderick Turner/Los Angeles Times

GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Re: Lakers Have 'No Current Plans' To Fire Frank Vogel 

Post#2 » by GunnerWRX » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:50 am

"Rambis then attended the Lakers' pregame coaches meeting before the Utah game. Rambis advocated for the Lakers to use bigger lineups with Dwight Howard and DeAndre Jordan. "

The Lakers are 5-2 with LeBron starting at center. Dwight started in both the Denver blow-out and Utah win, so 1-1.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,155

Post#3 » by Revived » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:27 am

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Vogel helped guide the Lakers to a title in his first season with the team, but he was only given a one-year extension before the start of this season.

Shouldnt there be an * anytime this title is mentioned? No playoffs crowd, no pressure, no fans all playing in an empty gym in a gym. The Raptors title when they beat the Warriors with like 3 of the best Warriors players out with injury is more credible than this ring. And I’m not a Raptors fan either.

Not sure many people outside of California recognize the Lakers bubble ring.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,162

Post#4 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am

It's not on today's docket, at least.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#5 » by Rashidi » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:57 pm

Revived wrote:
RealGM Wiretap wrote:Vogel helped guide the Lakers to a title in his first season with the team, but he was only given a one-year extension before the start of this season.

Shouldnt there be an * anytime this title is mentioned? No playoffs crowd, no pressure, no fans all playing in an empty gym in a gym. The Raptors title when they beat the Warriors with like 3 of the best Warriors players out with injury is more credible than this ring. And I’m not a Raptors fan either.

Lest we forget the bubble was the most taxing basketball environment in NBA history. But sure, ring doesn't count, according to Johnny Armchair on RGM.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#6 » by EMG518 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 pm

No "Current Plans"

Future?
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#7 » by BigTex » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:50 pm

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,190

Post#8 » by kenwood3333 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:33 pm

Kurt Rambis, with a career losing coaching record, and zero playoff victory, is here to advise on coaching decisions.
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Post#9 » by Spot31 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:36 pm

That "Championship' title in the bubble doesn't count. Should have an asterisk next to it.
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4
Nate the Great
Pro Prospect
And1: 380

Post#10 » by Nate the Great » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:00 pm

Seems like teams always tell us this sort of thing right before they fire the guy.

Black Lives Matter
davidavydave
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#11 » by davidavydave » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:07 am

Spot31 wrote:That "Championship' title in the bubble doesn't count. Should have an asterisk next to it.

A completely level playing field with nothing to focus on except basketball......the bubble of course counts.
The Lakers didn't have the homecourt advantage that has always been crucial to their playoff success (No visiting team had to deal with the pressure of playing in front of the Staples Center crowd and avoiding all the distractions off the court)

The Kevin Durant/GSW era deserves more of an asterisk, but that still counts too.

If anything, the Houston Astros's championship title deserves an asterisk cus the playing field was literally not level.

But I get it.....any excuse to sh*t on the Lakers....lol
Pabzingis
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Pabzingis » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:31 am

With Kurt Rambis advising you’re in safe hands.
Revived
RealGM

Post#13 » by Revived » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:49 am

Rashidi wrote:
Revived wrote:

Lest we forget the bubble was the most taxing basketball environment in NBA history. But sure, ring doesn't count, according to Johnny Armchair on RGM.

Most taxing with zero fans and zero travel involved and in a freaking Disney gym they play the Cinderella shows at? Yeah I don’t think so.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#14 » by MitchB3 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:02 pm

Revived wrote:
Rashidi wrote:
Revived wrote:Shouldnt there be an * anytime this title is mentioned? No playoffs crowd, no pressure, no fans all playing in an empty gym in a gym. The Raptors title when they beat the Warriors with like 3 of the best Warriors players out with injury is more credible than this ring. And I’m not a Raptors fan either.

Most taxing with zero fans and zero travel involved and in a freaking Disney gym they play the Cinderella shows at? Yeah I don’t think so.

It remains forever funny that because the Lakers won that chip, everyone is trying to discredit them any way they can. The bubble was the most taxing thing for every player's health, mental health, and even their family. Yeah, they were given the best food, and the best hotels, anyone can ask for, however, can you imagine not being able to go out freely, not being able to "visitors." Not being able to see family until 2nd round of the playoffs; not to mention the same guy who just hit a game-winner, drop a 50-piece, is right next in the evaluator, hotel room. Let's stop this f__kery and acknowledge the truth of the matter.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#15 » by MitchB3 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:04 pm

I've been saying vogel wasn't the right coach for this team. Benching Kuzma was the thing that did it for me.
Revived
RealGM

Post#16 » by Revived » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:31 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
Revived wrote:
Rashidi wrote:

It remains forever funny that because the Lakers won that chip, everyone is trying to discredit them any way they can. The bubble was the most taxing thing for every player's health, mental health, and even their family. Yeah, they were given the best food, and the best hotels, anyone can ask for, however, can you imagine not being able to go out freely, not being able to "visitors." Not being able to see family until 2nd round of the playoffs; not to mention the same guy who just hit a game-winner, drop a 50-piece, is right next in the evaluator, hotel room. Let's stop this f__kery and acknowledge the truth of the matter.

It doesn’t matter if it was the Lakers, the Globetrotters or some other team that won inside the bubble, it would always have an * next to it. Most teams were able to have family members as they got deeper into the playoffs and during the playoffs, most teams in it are locked in so their not going out clubbing every night anyway even if they were able to “go out freely”. Everything else was provided.

And again, you didn’t address the important of there being zero fans in the building and actually having to travel to other arenas. You know how freaking easier it is to play in an empty gym compared to one with over 15k over people in attendance yelling and screaming at you? Well maybe you don’t and I don’t know it at a professional level but I played high school ball and I can tell you now that playing in those hostile environments is way more pressure than practicing or scrimmaging against other teams in empty gyms. It almost feels like an entirely different sport.

Many players that are looked at as “playoff chokers” would be probably be seen as “playoff heroes” if they were given the opportunity to play in an empty gym without fans screaming obscenities at them.

To give you another example, Shaq shot 95% on FTs in empty gyms during practice. Yet when there were fans watching him and screaming at him, he would be shooting like 40% or whatever his career avg is.

And I haven’t even got into the whole having to travel to other cities for games, sometimes across the country and things like that which every other playoff team had to deal with except the bubble teams.

The bubble never felt like actual playoffs, it was basically just a mini fun scrimmage/tournament.

Lakers fans don’t have to feel so offended by this. They have 16 other titles that are all legit which nobody can discredit.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#17 » by MitchB3 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:14 am

Revived wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:
Revived wrote:Most taxing with zero fans and zero travel involved and in a freaking Disney gym they play the Cinderella shows at? Yeah I don’t think so.

It doesn’t matter if it was the Lakers, the Globetrotters or some other team that won inside the bubble, it would always have an * next to it. Most teams were able to have family members as they got deeper into the playoffs and during the playoffs, most teams in it are locked in so their not going out clubbing every night anyway even if they were able to “go out freely”. Everything else was provided.

And again, you didn’t address the important of there being zero fans in the building and actually having to travel to other arenas. You know how freaking easier it is to play in an empty gym compared to one with over 15k over people in attendance yelling and screaming at you? Well maybe you don’t and I don’t know it at a professional level but I played high school ball and I can tell you now that playing in those hostile environments is way more pressure than practicing or scrimmaging against other teams in empty gyms. It almost feels like an entirely different sport.

Many players that are looked at as “playoff chokers” would be probably be seen as “playoff heroes” if they were given the opportunity to play in an empty gym without fans screaming obscenities at them.

To give you another example, Shaq shot 95% on FTs in empty gyms during practice. Yet when there were fans watching him and screaming at him, he would be shooting like 40% or whatever his career avg is.

And I haven’t even got into the whole having to travel to other cities for games, sometimes across the country and things like that which every other playoff team had to deal with except the bubble teams.

The bubble never felt like actual playoffs, it was basically just a mini fun scrimmage/tournament.

Lakers fans don’t have to feel so offended by this. They have 16 other titles that are all legit which nobody can discredit.

The playoff "chokers" are always and forever be there. Pandemic P, always underperformed, it wasn't until the last post-season he shredded that nickname. It's actually harder to perform without fans than it is with fans.

Return to Wiretap Discussion