Hawks Looking For First Round Pick And Starter for John Collins

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Hawks Looking For First Round Pick And Starter for John Collins 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:11 pm

The Atlanta Hawks have set an asking price for John Collins and, surprisingly, it's not all that high of a price. Atlanta is looking for a first-round pick and starting caliber player in return for Collins.

The Hawks already traded Cam Reddish to the New York Knicks and appear open to making even more moves. Atlanta is looking to reset their cap sheet, in what has been a disappointing season. Bogdan Bogdanovic and Danilo Gallinari are both reportedly available, as well.

Collins has averaged 16.8 points and 7.9 rebounds this season. He's also shooting a career-best 41.4% from behind the arc. The Hawks re-signed Collins to a five-year, $125 million contract this offseason.

Via Jake Fischer/Bleacher Report

Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Re: Hawks Looking For First Round Pick And Starter for John Collins 

Post#2 » by Years90Suns » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:20 pm

I do not understand how Collins was a good contract for his play and numbers and now we want to get rid of him.
A pick and a starter? A starter at the PF position or where?
OO cannot shoot, neither can Capela. If you trade Gallinari, who is going to open the court for the team?
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#3 » by donemilio21 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:35 pm

Years90Suns wrote:I do not understand how Collins was a good contract for his play and numbers and now we want to get rid of him.
A pick and a starter? A starter at the PF position or where?
OO cannot shoot, neither can Capela. If you trade Gallinari, who is going to open the court for the team?

It will be all Trea shooting from midcourt and Capela chasing the offensive rebound
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:10 pm

POR should be willing to give ATL CJ or Powell and a pick for Collins. They'd probably take back filler as well.
bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Post#5 » by bj2323 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:25 pm

Patrick Williams + Derrick Jones Jr + 1st Round Pick
for
John Collins

Get it done!
I likes sports
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#6 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:27 pm

bj2323 wrote:Patrick Williams + Derrick Jones Jr + 1st Round Pick
for
John Collins

Get it done!

News just came out that Williams may come back this season so I don't think Chicago will go all in like we expected.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#7 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:32 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:POR should be willing to give ATL CJ or Powell and a pick for Collins. They'd probably take back filler as well.

Atlanta would then be dealing with the same situation that POR is dealing with: two guards that are undersized in the same backcourt. They should do whatever they can to try and snag Haliburton. Josh Hart would be a good option too for ATL but then ATL has to find a 3rd team to take Collins.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 104

Post#8 » by dubbmotta » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:34 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:POR should be willing to give ATL CJ or Powell and a pick for Collins. They'd probably take back filler as well.

That doesn't help the Hawks, would be Portland 2.0. We need defense not another small guard who can't guard anyone.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#9 » by ontnut » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:45 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:
bj2323 wrote:Patrick Williams + Derrick Jones Jr + 1st Round Pick
for
John Collins

Get it done!

News just came out that Williams may come back this season so I don't think Chicago will go all in like we expected.

Chicago would be foolish not to make this trade if it were on the table. The window is now. Collins helps push them that much closer to a chip.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#10 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:09 pm

dubbmotta wrote:

That doesn't help the Hawks, would be Portland 2.0. We need defense not another small guard who can't guard anyone.

I agree with you. I was more trying to point out that ATL is looking for something more specific than a 1st an a starter... or at least they better be.

But to be clear, CJ is the by far the better defender of the 3 guard lineup POR is running. Dame is and has always been a travesty.
Ballknowledge
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#11 » by Ballknowledge » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:22 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:

I agree with you. I was more trying to point out that ATL is looking for something more specific than a 1st an a starter... or at least they better be.

But to be clear, CJ is the by far the better defender of the 3 guard lineup POR is running. Dame is and has always been a travesty.

Not sure if I’ve misunderstood but are you trying to say CJ is a better defender than Powell?
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#12 » by niha17 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:00 am

randle and a 1st easy
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#13 » by D21 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:26 am

dubbmotta wrote:

"Needed defense" is more accurate, when there were a lot on injuries/COVID.
Now that everybody is back, this team needs defense ? I don't think so after looking at the last games. They can play the same defense than last year in the playoffs games (while still being the most injured team of the playoffs).
It's the same guys, why would they not be able to do that ? It's like the team has changed.

It would be stupid to change this team now that they are all back. Let them play, and make changes if needed this summer, not now.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:22 am

Ballknowledge wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:

Not sure if I’ve misunderstood but are you trying to say CJ is a better defender than Powell?

Yep. You sound shocked. Take a deep dive into the numbers and you will agree with me. Or you can just watch CJ's intensity.. He's a super smart defender. He does well in mismatches. Powell was serviceable last season but he is terrible this season. I think the new coach may have something to do with that. Either way, CJ is the much better defender. No question.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#15 » by IWishIWasHarden » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:19 am

Eric Gordon + pick for John Collins. The new Twin Towers.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,151

Post#16 » by Darthlukey » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:30 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Ballknowledge wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:I agree with you. I was more trying to point out that ATL is looking for something more specific than a 1st an a starter... or at least they better be.

Yep. You sound shocked. Take a deep dive into the numbers and you will agree with me. Or you can just watch CJ's intensity.. He's a super smart defender. He does well in mismatches. Powell was serviceable last season but he is terrible this season. I think the new coach may have something to do with that. Either way, CJ is the much better defender. No question.

In his defence (no pun intended) Powell has played out of position a lot at the 3
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:28 pm

Darthlukey wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Ballknowledge wrote:

In his defence (no pun intended) Powell has played out of position a lot at the 3

Agreed. Powell was brought into a terrible situation, making that situation worse. POR now has 7 players listed at 6' 3" or under. The problem was compounded when they fired a coach that had been overachieving with this group and brought in a rookie coach that has no idea what it's like to suck at defense.

In CJ's defense, CJ has been guarding the better perimeter player since he's been starting next to Lillard. CJ has been pulling more than his own weight for a long time.

Return to Wiretap Discussion