Teams Calling Spurs on Dejounte Murray and Derrick White

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Teams Calling Spurs on Dejounte Murray and Derrick White 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:08 pm

After a two-decade run of playoff appearances, the San Antonio Spurs find themselves facing a third straight postseason-less season. As such, teams are starting to call about the availability of Spurs players, starting with guards Dejounte Murray and Derrick White

Murray is in the second year of a four-year deal. He's been mentioned in the All-Star conversation, as he's averaged 19.2 point, 8.4 rebounds, 9.1 assists and 2.0 steals per game this season. At just $15.4 million for this season, Murray is an inexpensive upgrade for almost any team at the point guard position.

White is in the first year of a four-year, $68 million extension. While his shooting has slipped, White is seen as a solid two-way player that can play either guard position.

San Antonio rarely makes in-season trades, but recently traded guard Bryn Fobes to the Denver Nuggets.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,613

Re: Teams Calling Spurs on Dejounte Murray and Derrick White 

Post#2 » by Revived » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:31 pm

San Antonio is better of splitting them up and trading away at least one. Can’t have a starting backcourt that can’t shoot 3s at all in this era of basketball.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,082

Post#3 » by sisibilio » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:47 pm

Murray is a backup PG in a good team, that's pretty non-inexpensive for 15 million.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#4 » by TimeisIllmatic » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:05 pm

I don't see too many teams having a need for Murray and the ones that do probably don't have the assets to get him. He's having a great year.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 69

Post#5 » by niha17 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:09 pm

the only 2 reasons to watch the spurs is white and murray you cant afford to trade then if your the spurs. there is not tim duncan in the draft
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#6 » by dukes_wild » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:51 pm

sisibilio wrote:Murray is a backup PG in a good team, that's pretty non-inexpensive for 15 million.

This is a terrible take
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
Wildcard
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Wildcard » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:43 pm

dukes_wild wrote:
sisibilio wrote:Murray is a backup PG in a good team, that's pretty non-inexpensive for 15 million.

This is a terrible take

Really, truly, turrrible take for a guy putting up 19-8-9 with excellent defense.

I'd love to know what it would take to get Murray. Not that my squad could afford it but what would it take?
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,410

Post#8 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:37 am

Wildcard wrote:
dukes_wild wrote:

This is a terrible take

Really, truly, turrrible take for a guy putting up 19-8-9 with excellent defense.

I'd love to know what it would take to get Murray. Not that my squad could afford it but what would it take?

My guess is it'd have to be one of those offers that just floors the organization.
I don't think they are wanting to move him (why would they?), nor are they planning to tank. I think they also view him as a cultural fit as by all indications he wants to be there and has really embraced the role of being a leader on a young team.
My guess is like a top-3 pick or equivalent value would give them pause. I dont expect anyone to offer that, nor should they, but I just dont see why the Spurs would be inclined to dump a young, improving player on a great contract unless they were wowed by an offer.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GameChannel
Rookie
And1: 1,031

Post#9 » by GameChannel » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:23 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Wildcard wrote:
dukes_wild wrote:This is a terrible take

My guess is it'd have to be one of those offers that just floors the organization.
I don't think they are wanting to move him (why would they?), nor are they planning to tank. I think they also view him as a cultural fit as by all indications he wants to be there and has really embraced the role of being a leader on a young team.
My guess is like a top-3 pick or equivalent value would give them pause. I dont expect anyone to offer that, nor should they, but I just dont see why the Spurs would be inclined to dump a young, improving player on a great contract unless they were wowed by an offer.

It will take a Harden-like, AD-like or PG-like haul for the Spurs to even consider trading Murray. He's the best two-way PG in the league who will likely be in the all-defensive team as well as get some DPOY votes. You guys are severely underestimating Murray as a player. He's a star player who plays both sides of the court and is on a very cap friendly contract for another 2 years.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,410

Post#10 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:38 am

GameChannel wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Wildcard wrote:

It will take a Harden-like, AD-like or PG-like haul for the Spurs to even consider trading Murray. He's the best two-way PG in the league who will likely be in the all-defensive team as well as get some DPOY votes. You guys are severely underestimating Murray as a player. He's a star player who plays both sides of the court and is on a very cap friendly contract for another 2 years.

I love Murray.
But if you don't think they'd trade him for the #1 overall pick... I don't know man they definitely think long and hard about it.
I don't think Murray is that #1 guy on a championship team and the Spurs still need that guy. The #1 pick gives you a shot at it.
I think they'd do it and should do it.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
GameChannel
Rookie
And1: 1,031

Post#11 » by GameChannel » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:02 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
GameChannel wrote:
CIN-C-STAR wrote:

I love Murray.
But if you don't think they'd trade him for the #1 overall pick... I don't know man they definitely think long and hard about it.
I don't think Murray is that #1 guy on a championship team and the Spurs still need that guy. The #1 pick gives you a shot at it.
I think they'd do it and should do it.

How many no.1 picks in the past 5 years have been franchise changers? Hint: none. Murray is not an old player. He's still only 25. Besides the coming draft is not a strong one. Why would the Spurs draft a rookie and reset their rebuild?

Return to Wiretap Discussion