James Harden and Kevin Durant Were Hardly Communicating Before Trade

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 295

James Harden and Kevin Durant Were Hardly Communicating Before Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:07 pm

Prior to the big trade between the Brooklyn Nets and Philadelphia 76ers, James Harden had begun disconnecting from his Nets teammates. Prior to Kevin Durant's injury, he and Harden were barely communicating.

Durant was injured in mid-January. That means there was likely over a month that the two stars weren't really speaking.

In recent weeks, Harden began cutting off communications with all of his Nets teammates. It was Harden's way of sending a message that he no longer wanted to be in Brooklyn.

Via Marc Stein/Substack

Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Re: James Harden and Kevin Durant Were Hardly Communicating Before Trade 

Post#2 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:33 pm

What an awesome teammate, have fun Joel
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
TPA
Senior
And1: 488

Post#3 » by TPA » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:51 pm

My sister and her friends used to act that way toward each other back in middle school.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,564

Post#4 » by Hipster Doofus » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:54 pm

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:What an awesome teammate, have fun Joel

Can't wait to see them play together next week! :)
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,291

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:41 pm

that's 4 players

cp3, westbrook, kd, kyrie

it was off court issues with all four, ? you can't get any more diverse group of personalities than those four
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,085

Post#6 » by Indeed » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:05 pm

Damage control for giving a reason of trading a player?
Regardless, I think it is a good trade for both teams.
swenjj
Senior
And1: 25

Post#7 » by swenjj » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:07 pm

Lalouie wrote:that's 4 players

it was off court issues with all four, ? you can't get any more diverse group of personalities than those four

Dwight Howard as well..
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,595

Post#8 » by mtcan » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:15 pm

I said it before in another thread...James Harden is not a good teammate.

He has burned bridges with lots of fellow stars.

And when he quits on a team...he really quits.

Like I said...the honeymoon in Philly is over once James puts pen to paper on that massive new contract...then comes the trade request.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#9 » by luss54321 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:31 pm

Harden's bad attitude and lack or leadership skills are the main reason he's never achieved a high level of team success.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#10 » by gigantes » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:39 pm

mtcan wrote:I said it before in another thread...James Harden is not a good teammate.

Like I said...the honeymoon in Philly is over once James puts pen to paper on that massive new contract...then comes the trade request.

It has the potential to be a spectacularly bad contract what with Harden's need to be ball dominant combined with his aging.

But with Morey in charge, I'm thinking Joel might be the one who could win up wanting out first.

Morey didn't pay a fortune for Harden, but yeah, it could get real ugly after that new contract gets signed.
Childs
RealGM
And1: 26,284

Post#11 » by Childs » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:41 pm

It's nice to know guys in the 30s, when they don't get their way, act like middle school girls.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,291

Post#12 » by Lalouie » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:06 am

swenjj wrote:

Dwight Howard as well..

four alphas, two intense players, goat shooter who fits anywhere, looney skilled amiable dude, happy go lucky guy.
that group is so diverse i can't fathom what personality type james is. :lol: :lol:______the "not-get-along" type?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,320

Post#13 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:11 am

This is just another illustration of why even though Kyrie is a lunatic and one of the worst teammates in sports history, the Nets' implosion can't all be blamed on him. Harden has feuded with literally every other star he's played with in his career. Every single one. At some point, it can't always be everyone else's fault when this has played out across multiple franchises and the one common denominator is Harden.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,230

Post#14 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:30 am

Lalouie wrote:
swenjj wrote:

Dwight Howard as well..

four alphas, two intense players, goat shooter who fits anywhere, looney skilled amiable dude, happy go lucky guy.
that group is so diverse i can't fathom what personality type james is. :lol: :lol:______the "not-get-along" type?

Well, CP3 barks at people all the time; Westbrook wanted to still be the man but wasn't capable; Kyrie is an idiot and KD is too aloof to pick a side. I get why Harden would have an issue with any one of these guys... and I get why they would have an issue with him.
rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,351

Post#15 » by rocketsfan100 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:58 am

Probaly had something to do with Kyrie being an anti vac moron who refused to be a full time player by taking the vaccine
CanesHeatFins
Senior
And1: 650

Post#16 » by CanesHeatFins » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:55 am

rocketsfan100 wrote:Probaly had something to do with Kyrie being an anti vac moron who refused to be a full time player by taking the vaccine

You're talking as if the vax doesn't have risk associated with it.You simply trust the vaccine to injected into your body, and Kyrie doesn't. Kyrie is gonna be Kyrie longer than he's a Nets BBall player. Just out curiosity if they came with a HIV vaccine next week would you take it? And would YOU be a "moron" for not taking it?
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,031

Post#17 » by JN61 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:33 am

I'm a bit mixed did OKC dodge a bullet of bigger drama when they traded him or was it still a bad move. He has now butted heads with both Durant and Westbrook on his own. Yikes.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,320

Post#18 » by MartinToVaught » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:25 am

JN61 wrote:I'm a bit mixed did OKC dodge a bullet of bigger drama when they traded him or was it still a bad move. He has now butted heads with both Durant and Westbrook on his own. Yikes.

I've always assumed they chose Ibaka over him because he choked in the Finals and was out at strip clubs every night while his team was getting backdoor swept. In other words, the same old story of Harden's entire career. You might be on to something too with him never getting along with any other stars.
eierluke
Lead Assistant
And1: 87

Post#19 » by eierluke » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:15 am

mtcan wrote:I said it before in another thread...James Harden is not a good teammate.

What if Philly has no intention of extending Harden and just wants to find out what short term success is possible with Harden?
From Phillys pov they already knew that Simmons long term is worthless for any team with reasonable and trustworth planing intention. They may have traded a talented but worthless piece (Simmons) on a long term contract for a another questionable talented piece on a short term contract.
Even in this scenario a shot worth to try.
sven petersson
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,595

Post#20 » by mtcan » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:17 pm

eierluke wrote:

What if Philly has no intention of extending Harden and just wants to find out what short term success is possible with Harden?
From Phillys pov they already knew that Simmons long term is worthless for any team with reasonable and trustworth planing intention. They may have traded a talented but worthless piece (Simmons) on a long term contract for a another questionable talented piece on a short term contract.
Even in this scenario a shot worth to try.

If that is the case, then giving up 2 first round picks is a massive overpay.

Return to Wiretap Discussion