76ers Emerge As Frontrunners To Sign DeAndre Jordan

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

76ers Emerge As Frontrunners To Sign DeAndre Jordan 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 1, 2022 2:04 am

The Philadelphia 76ers have emerged as the frontrunners to sign DeAndre Jordan either as a waiver claim or a free agent signing. 

The Sixers have been aggressive in pursuing a backup center since trading Andre Drummond to the Brooklyn Nets as part of the James Harden trade.

Jordan, who signed a one-year, $2.6 million minimum deal to join the Lakers this season, would save the Sixers $2.3 million in luxury tax if he signed a free agent deal instead of getting claimed on waivers.

The 76ers have an open roster spot to sign Jordan. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

elmdawgg69
Veteran
And1: 81

Re: 76ers Emerge As Frontrunners To Sign DeAndre Jordan 

Post#2 » by elmdawgg69 » Tue Mar 1, 2022 3:46 am

Huge pickup for the Sixers
DHM
Junior
And1: 163

Post#3 » by DHM » Tue Mar 1, 2022 4:13 am

He will only get about 10 minutes a game come playoff time but he’s better than 6-7 Paul Millsap I guess
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,080

Post#4 » by mihaic » Tue Mar 1, 2022 5:51 am

elmdawgg69 wrote:Huge pickup for the Sixers

I think he is washed
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,400

Post#5 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Mar 1, 2022 12:49 pm

Sixers emerge as only team interested.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#6 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Tue Mar 1, 2022 1:20 pm

Maybe guys know it already and aint saying it, but Harden needs a roll man who can play above the rim. I know that aint Jordan's game anymore, but he is long and will still go up for lobs.

This will be a huge pickup for the Sixers I think. Drummond was playing well and it was a shame to lose him... but he (Drummond) also makes a tonne of bone-head plays DeAndre likely wont... just saying
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,904

Post#7 » by Jabroni Lames » Tue Mar 1, 2022 1:44 pm

Sixers still reeling from Game 7 vs. the Raptors in 2019, when they were -69 in the scant 5 minutes when Embiid sat.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 372

Post#8 » by Elnegron » Tue Mar 1, 2022 3:15 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:Sixers emerge as only team interested.

Hahaha u not wrong
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 775

Post#9 » by donemilio21 » Tue Mar 1, 2022 5:40 pm

I think that is a true statement. DJ had his best years playing for Doc, so maybe they are thinking he might be able to get the best out of him.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#10 » by RipCityKJ » Tue Mar 1, 2022 6:35 pm

donemilio21 wrote:

I think that is a true statement. DJ had his best years playing for Doc, so maybe they are thinking he might be able to get the best out of him.

Doc had nothing to do with his success it was all CP3. Doc has only had success with multiple star players on his team otherwise he couldn’t coach an average nba team to beat a high school team. How he was named one of the best coaches ever blows my mind!
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Mar 1, 2022 6:40 pm

donemilio21 wrote:

False. DJ's PER36 stats are at or above his career numbers. He's redundant in LAL with Dwight but most playoff teams would like to pick him up on the minimum. DJ would be the 2nd best center on most NBA rosters. He has a choice of destinations but will fit right in in PHI.
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#12 » by 440BB » Tue Mar 1, 2022 7:37 pm

Jordan's worked out how to play with Harden last season with the Nets, so the transition will be smooth should he sign with the Sixers. Just what they need for 10-12 minutes per game.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,965

Post#13 » by CobraCommander » Tue Mar 1, 2022 10:57 pm

Elnegron wrote:

Hahaha u not wrong

Lol

From top 10 to not mentioned at all ...as a big
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#14 » by Revived » Tue Mar 1, 2022 11:13 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:

False. DJ's PER36 stats are at or above his career numbers. He's redundant in LAL with Dwight but most playoff teams would like to pick him up on the minimum. DJ would be the 2nd best center on most NBA rosters. He has a choice of destinations but will fit right in in PHI.

2nd best center on most teams is stretching it. The Suns for example have 3 Cs that are all better than him. Maybe even 4 if including Frank the Tank.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 24,400

Post#15 » by cupcakesnake » Tue Mar 1, 2022 11:47 pm

Revived wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:I think that is a true statement. DJ had his best years playing for Doc, so maybe they are thinking he might be able to get the best out of him.

2nd best center on most teams is stretching it. The Suns for example have 3 Cs that are all better than him. Maybe even 4 if including Frank the Tank.

Yeah I'm not sure what DJ does for an NBA team at this point. He hasn't been able to defend ball-handlers for years now (so he's a liability in the pick & roll and on switches). His free-throw shooting has cratered (50% last year, 46% this year). He was already a limited player in terms of being a non-shooter who can't dribble or pass. His rebounding has long been overrated (he gets boards but his teams don't rebound better with him on the floor.)

He can still rim run and catch a lob. He works offensively on a team with spacing (the Sixers have a ton of good shooters). He probably fits in next to Harden when Embiid rests. But him being a bad defender realllllly limits his impact. He's basically a big body to back up Embiid and he's a little bit better than nothing.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
jstross
Senior
And1: 247

Post#16 » by jstross » Wed Mar 2, 2022 2:06 am

So when will Jordan clear waivers?
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 142

Post#17 » by haste10176 » Wed Mar 2, 2022 3:17 am

jamaalstar21 wrote:
Revived wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:False. DJ's PER36 stats are at or above his career numbers. He's redundant in LAL with Dwight but most playoff teams would like to pick him up on the minimum. DJ would be the 2nd best center on most NBA rosters. He has a choice of destinations but will fit right in in PHI.

Yeah I'm not sure what DJ does for an NBA team at this point. He hasn't been able to defend ball-handlers for years now (so he's a liability in the pick & roll and on switches). His free-throw shooting has cratered (50% last year, 46% this year). He was already a limited player in terms of being a non-shooter who can't dribble or pass. His rebounding has long been overrated (he gets boards but his teams don't rebound better with him on the floor.)

He can still rim run and catch a lob. He works offensively on a team with spacing (the Sixers have a ton of good shooters). He probably fits in next to Harden when Embiid rests. But him being a bad defender realllllly limits his impact. He's basically a big body to back up Embiid and he's a little bit better than nothing.

Take it from someone who watched nets and lakers games.. DJ is not fit to be on an NBA roster he is a flat out liability.. I knew someone stupid would pick him up on name recognition but he is not good enough to be on the court..
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Mar 2, 2022 3:35 am

haste10176 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
Revived wrote:2nd best center on most teams is stretching it. The Suns for example have 3 Cs that are all better than him. Maybe even 4 if including Frank the Tank.

Take it from someone who watched nets and lakers games.. DJ is not fit to be on an NBA roster he is a flat out liability.. I knew someone stupid would pick him up on name recognition but he is not good enough to be on the court..

He's going to give you the same thing he always gave: elite rebounding, an occasional block and a put-back or two. That's all he was ever good for. He has been overpaid for most of his career but he will easily earn his minimum contract in 12 minutes a night.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#19 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Mar 2, 2022 3:48 am

Revived wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:I think that is a true statement. DJ had his best years playing for Doc, so maybe they are thinking he might be able to get the best out of him.

Well, I think you would have a hard time naming 45 better centers than DJ. I'm not convinced Bismack is better than DJ. I will reluctantly admit that JaVale might be better, but he is my least favorite player to watch. No one that clumsy should be allowed to play in the NBA. His PER36 numbers are almost identical to DJ's (other than PTS) and DJ doesn't exactly have CP3 lobbing him up anymore.

The reality is that people started hating on DJ when he was overpaid and are now blinded to his value on a minimum deal. At that price he is worth every penny.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#20 » by Rastas » Wed Mar 2, 2022 4:07 am

No other teams are going to trade with the Sixers (Morey/Simmons fiasco) for a while so they absolutely should be chasing any and all washed up players that nobody else wants.

Return to Wiretap Discussion