WNBA Star Brittney Griner Detained In Russia

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

WNBA Star Brittney Griner Detained In Russia 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Mar 5, 2022 8:24 pm

Brittney Griner was reportedly detained in Russia sometime last month. Reports are that Griner was arrested at the Moscow airport after a search of her luggage turned up cannabis vape cartridges.

Russian authorities have not specified that Griner was arrested, nor the date of the arrest, but did say it was a USA women's basketball player. Griner was in Russia to play for UMMC Ekaterinburg. During the WNBA offseason, several US-born players play overseas.

Griner's agent, Lindsay Kagawa Colas, did not dispute Griner had been detained in a statement.

“We are aware of the situation with Brittney Griner in Russia and are in close contact with her, her legal representation in Russia, her family, her teams, and the WNBA and NBA,” Kagawa Colas said Saturday. “As this is an ongoing legal matter, we are not able to comment further on the specifics of her case but can confirm that as we work to get her home, her mental and physical health remain our primary concern.”

Via RealGM Staff Report

ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Re: WNBA Star Brittney Griner Detained In Russia 

Post#2 » by ontnut » Sat Mar 5, 2022 10:22 pm

Pretttttty stupid.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Sat Mar 5, 2022 10:28 pm

ontnut wrote:Pretttttty stupid.

That’s an understatement.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#4 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sat Mar 5, 2022 11:40 pm

If it's illegal in Russia, she should have known better not to. It'll be hard to release her with all the sanctions from US..
Credits to Jstock12
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,423

Post#5 » by Revived » Sun Mar 6, 2022 12:28 am

I don’t think enough people realize that just because pot is legal in America, it’s legal everywhere else too.

If you can’t live without pot for the 3-4 months or however long you plan to be living abroad, then don’t go abroad.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#6 » by tigerae » Sun Mar 6, 2022 12:49 am

Revived wrote:I don’t think enough people realize that just because pot is legal in America, it’s legal everywhere else too.

If you can’t live without pot for the 3-4 months or however long you plan to be living abroad, then don’t go abroad.

Or at the very least, throw it away before going to an airport where you know they will search and is illegal to possess it. Even in the US I wouldn't board a plane with cbd oil in my bags. Just order new stuff once you get there if you really need it.
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#7 » by FreeBoosie » Sun Mar 6, 2022 1:10 am

What a dumbass lol
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,199

Post#8 » by brutalitops » Sun Mar 6, 2022 1:25 am

Unfortunate and also probably the worst time to be stuck in Russia
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#9 » by BigHustle » Sun Mar 6, 2022 4:17 am

Who be putin it in her bag?
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,587

Post#10 » by Rainwater » Sun Mar 6, 2022 5:28 am

brutalitops wrote:Unfortunate and also probably the worst time to be stuck in Russia

She's played in Russia for some years now hopefully they cut her some slack but I agree I doubt that will be the case given the current sanctions.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#11 » by TheCage4 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 6:11 am

Who picks these photos? I mean really. This one is the stuff of nightmares.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,179

Post#12 » by mowcrowbar » Sun Mar 6, 2022 6:38 am

She is the same person who thought she could beat Demarcus Cousins( right? Not surprise she would do something this stupid.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#13 » by Diggr14 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 7:29 am

Tell Putin he can keep her? Im good with it. Not sure if the dildo brigade will like it though.

Seriously though, how dumb are you to bring anything remotely close to contraband on a plane coming out of Russia as a US citizen right now. The level of stupidity here is astounding. They are LOOKING for reasons to detain you. Dont give them one. Now... if they planted it on her, that's another story.. but really, this is probably one of those where entitled WNBA player didnt think anyone would stop her.

Just dumb. Now the US is going to expend some kind of diplomatic and maybe financial capital to get her dumbass back too...
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#14 » by Pennebaker » Sun Mar 6, 2022 11:01 am

Wow it's really stupid to go through a Russian airport with cannabis. I'd be afraid to go through my own airport here in the U.S. with something like that so I would never in a million years try to bring that through Moscow.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#15 » by Barcs » Sun Mar 6, 2022 5:09 pm

Just further proof that Russia is a authoritarian Christian nationalist dictatorship. Yeah, not smart to go through with a vape cart, but cannabis should be legal everywhere. Russia is a piece of crap country. If hope this invasion leads to their economic collapse and they go back to the stone age.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#16 » by Barcs » Sun Mar 6, 2022 5:10 pm

Revived wrote:I don’t think enough people realize that just because pot is legal in America, it’s legal everywhere else too.

Um, many people smoke it for health reasons.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#17 » by 23artest23 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 5:49 pm

BigHustle wrote:Who be putin it in her bag?

I had to give you a shout-out here since no one else did. "Who be putin it in her bag?" Is nothing short of hilarious in relation to this story :D
alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Post#18 » by alphatron10 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 6:09 pm

Barcs wrote:Just further proof that Russia is a authoritarian Christian nationalist dictatorship. Yeah, not smart to go through with a vape cart, but cannabis should be legal everywhere. Russia is a piece of crap country. If hope this invasion leads to their economic collapse and they go back to the stone age.

What the hell are you on about you moron. Russia is far from a Christian country. And it's not the Russian citizens fault that Putin's a little commy dictator. I bet you wouldn't say "Muslim nationalist dictatorship" if Syria or Saudi Arabia did something like this. GTFO
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,006

Post#19 » by kalel123 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 11:04 pm

Actually saw a Business Insider article that tried to blame this situation to WNBA salary, which is some of the stupidest basketball-related BS. You can't pay what you don't earn and therefore can't afford.
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#20 » by Years90Suns » Sun Mar 6, 2022 11:44 pm

Just another proof of how pot smokers brains work...

Return to Wiretap Discussion