Kevin Durant: Golden State Media Separated Me From Warriors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kevin Durant: Golden State Media Separated Me From Warriors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:20 pm

In an interview with Logan Murdock of The Ringer, Kevin Durant reflected on how the Golden State Warriors were presented as "KD and the Warriors."

“I was expecting—and maybe that’s my fault—I was expecting the beat writers, whoever was on the beat there, whoever covered the team, to integrate me into the Warriors’ way of doing things,” he says. “Because I never tried to step outside of that and make that situation bigger and make it all about me. I just felt like I wanted to be a part of the group. There were plenty of times where obviously when it comes to media, I was separated from the group.”

Durant signed a series of short-term contract with the Warriors and by the third season, it began to appear as though he was planning on leaving. Durant moved from the East Bay to San Francisco before the final season and he was more isolated.

“For people to look at me and say I was malcontent or isolated or didn’t look happy, I’m like, ‘Yo, do you all see Klay every day? Did you all see how he walked in there?’ But that was just him and nobody ever bat an eye at him,” Durant told The Ringer. “I loved it and I picked up on some of those things and how they approach the team-building and team bond. I’m like, ‘Oh, this is more my style.’ I was just adopting what the team was already doing.

“We all had our separate lives. We all had families,” he adds. “The Bay is huge. Draymond [Green] lived an hour and a half away from me, so does Steph, so does Shaun [Livingston]. When are we getting together? We’re around each other every day on the road. I think it’s healthy when you have that level of separation, when you get at home and like, ‘All right, you all go do your thing and I’m going to do mine.’”

Via Logan Murdock/The Ringer

Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Re: Kevin Durant: Golden State Media Separated Me From Warriors 

Post#2 » by Cookin Baskets » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:14 pm

Your allowed to do what you want with your career but the media/fans are also entitled to certain perceptions/opinions of taking the "easy way" out on a super team so you just have to live with that if your durant. I mean I enjoyed watching him thrive on the warriors but not great as far as balance is concerned.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#3 » by 31to6 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:28 pm

Durant being thin-skinned again? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Post#4 » by JonFromVA » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:11 pm

I'm glad to hear the media was badgering him about his intentions and wish the Cleveland media had done more of that with LeBron.

If you want respect and loyalty you have to give respect and loyalty and part of that is being honest about your intentions, otherwise it's not KD and the Warriors .. it's the Warriors and their ring chasing merc.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#5 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:34 pm

I can't wait till we don't have to see this dumbass on the court again.

I get that's he's talented but I'll celebrate Giannis winning it the right way instead of this 10 year old twitter obsessed poster that happens to be talented with a basketball.

He has 0 perspective.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#6 » by Revived » Fri Apr 1, 2022 3:46 am

He wants sympathy because he sacrificed money? Seriously? He literally sacrificed money so he can win an easy ring.
Clay Davis
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,695

Post#7 » by Clay Davis » Fri Apr 1, 2022 5:09 am

Revived wrote:He wants sympathy because he sacrificed money? Seriously? He literally sacrificed money so he can win an easy ring.

You'd think the people who have the privilege to write for the best team of all time would recognize his sacrifice. Lacob cut a bit too close to the bone in telling KD that he wasn't part of the family during his speech at the parade.
Steelo Green wrote:People are expecting way too much from Barnes out of the get go. He is a project player who will need 2-3 years before he makes a major impact.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,369

Post#8 » by NoStatsGuy » Fri Apr 1, 2022 11:06 am

yea nah bro. its not unprofessional by the media to ask questions, thats literally their profession and part of their job to cover the team.

unprofessionalism is players forcing their way out of contracts. while im all for player empowerment, but thats legit the definition of unprofessionalism.

cant spin this one on the fans or the media, nope.
im bout dat action boss
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#9 » by Revived » Fri Apr 1, 2022 12:04 pm

Remember when Bob Myers made that joke at the title parade after their second Finals win? He said something like oh yeah Steph can do whatever he wants in Golden State because he’s been here from the start but KD can’t because he just hopped on our superteam.

I know that hurt Durant a lot because the fact that even his own GM said it means it was on his mind too and basically invalidated all his rings.

I think KD re-signed for one yr after this because he had already publicly committed to running it back for another yr but then bounced immediately after.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#10 » by hyberx » Fri Apr 1, 2022 2:01 pm

KD is just stating the facts here. He should have hired LeBron's PR machine. He outplayed LeBron in the finals and his super team beat LeBron's super team easily, yet the media never gave him the LeBron treatment (aka arse kissing) which is what he wanted.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#11 » by hyberx » Fri Apr 1, 2022 6:34 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:yea nah bro. its not unprofessional by the media to ask questions, thats literally their profession and part of their job to cover the team.

unprofessionalism is players forcing their way out of contracts. while im all for player empowerment, but thats legit the definition of unprofessionalism.

Did KD force his way out of contracts? He left after his contract was up. The dude risked his health to play in the finals when my Ws needed him the most which resulted in his ruptured Achilles tendon. I doubt any Warriors fans, like me, would blame him for leaving after what he helped to give us.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,369

Post#12 » by NoStatsGuy » Sun Apr 3, 2022 6:41 pm

hyberx wrote:
NoStatsGuy wrote:yea nah bro. its not unprofessional by the media to ask questions, thats literally their profession and part of their job to cover the team.

Did KD force his way out of contracts? He left after his contract was up. The dude risked his health to play in the finals when my Ws needed him the most which resulted in his ruptured Achilles tendon. I doubt any Warriors fans, like me, would blame him for leaving after what he helped to give us.

nono i get you totally. trust me, im actually a KD fan, evn tho its not expressed in a way that its obvious. but im just holding anybody to the same standards Lebron, KD or the 15th guy on the worst team.

and no, KD did not force his way out. KD is actually one of the few superstars that honor their contracts and are very professional. but you didnt get the point. the contract thing was just an example for unprofessional behaviour. And it is well known, that KD is at "war" with media. he himself said it multiple times. He moved away from the other guys, relocated to SF and seperated himself because different reasons. One time for his businesses, the other day its to focus on himself. he is on the famous podcasts regularly and he said it multiple times on these platforms. he never said before, that it was the media that seperated him.

also if he calls the media peasant, peons, and what not. how come they are so powerful all of a sudden, that they have the power to seperate players from a team. he is always belitteling the media, they dont know anything, they talk a bunch of bs yada yada yada.

if he really wanted to be part of that culture, im sure he would be welcomed with open arms to stay longer and really become a warrior through and through. but we all know that KD is somewhat of a special case in a team environment.

all im saying is, cant blame the media for everything. thats not gonna fly with me personally. you are entitled to you own opinion. and maybe your opinion is more valid as a warrior fan, since you probably are way better informed. but from what i know of him and heared in hundreds of interviews, podcast, pressconferences, etc. I just dont buy its medias fault, that he decided to move on from the warriors.
im bout dat action boss

Return to Wiretap Discussion