Rockets Believe There Is A Trade Market For John Wall

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Rockets Believe There Is A Trade Market For John Wall 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:12 pm

In his season-ending media availability Houston Rockets GM Rafael Stone was asked about the team's roster plans for this summer. A significant question for this summer is the future of point guard John Wall.

Wall has a $47.4 million player option for 2022-23, which he is sure to exercise. From there, it's up to Houston to figure out their next move.

Stone believes that there will be a trade market for Wall, who did not play during the 2021-22 season. Wall was sat by the Rockets, despite saying he wanted to play around midseason, as the team focused on their younger players.

If no trade market develops for Wall, Houston and the veteran point guard are expected to discuss a buyout. Stone said the Rockets and Wall will "cross that bridge when they get to it" on a potential buyout.

Via Kelly Iko/The Athletic

lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Re: Rockets Believe There Is A Trade Market For John Wall 

Post#2 » by lonea » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:27 pm

Yes, Wall for Westbrook.

No brainer deal.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#3 » by King4Day » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:52 pm

In other words, the Rockets believe they can trade Wall for Westbrook.

I'm not sure of any other bad contracts out there they could move him for.
Unless something with Charlotte where Hayward is moved, but even then, they'd need to add more to make the money work.
Houston is probably just trying to inflate his value
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
GrindCityHustle
Starter
And1: 2,314

Post#4 » by GrindCityHustle » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:02 pm

lonea wrote:Yes, Wall for Westbrook.

No brainer deal.

There is no way that will happen. Rockets already had Westbrook.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,491

Post#5 » by Hipster Doofus » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:08 pm

Yeah, there's a market for Wall - in China.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#6 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:26 pm

Pretty sure Wall won't be bought out. Wall for Brick seems like another disaster for LA. Then they would have two players that are injury prone, and one old man.
Honestly, LA's FO should tell LBJ to sit back and collect your check. Full rebuild. Trade AD and start over.
lonea
Rookie

Post#7 » by lonea » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:27 pm

I mean... you trade for a player that can/will play.

Not keeping a player that will sit at home and earn 48M

GrindCityHustle wrote:

No brainer deal.

dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#8 » by dlts20 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:32 pm

GrindCityHustle wrote:

No brainer deal.

What are you talking about. Houston was going to make the trade mid-season. It was LA who turned it down
dlts20
RealGM

Post#9 » by dlts20 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:34 pm

lonea wrote:I mean... you trade for a player that can/will play.

GrindCityHustle wrote:

No brainer deal.

Wall wanted to play also. Trust me, Westbrook will not play a single minute in Houston.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#10 » by Dark Faze » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:32 pm

This is getting ridiculous. I understood waiting until the deadline, but if nobody wanted his contract for the sake of the expiring then, what will have changed in the summer? A problem contract that exists this summer will have existed as of the previous trade deadline.

Losing respect for Wall for sacrificing a year of hoops (After missing several already) while completely healthy.
lonea
Rookie

Post#11 » by lonea » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:50 pm

"WAS"... will they turn it down NOW.... most likely not LOL

dlts20 wrote:
GrindCityHustle wrote:

No brainer deal.

It was LA who turned it down
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#12 » by Cassius » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:52 pm

For the first time in his career, Wall is pretty blameless here. I'm pretty sure he's not the one who asked to be sent home. Houston was tank-ready and didn't want to mess up the lottery balls.

Then, Houston was willing to ship him to LA for Russ and the '27 pick, Lakers said "no".

I think there are a few landing spots for Wall's expiring deal on teams with bloated payroll:

Knicks for a combination of any of Randle/Fournier/Burks/Rose/Noel, then re-route the pieces elsewhere

Hornets for Hayward and Oubre

If Brunson leaves, Dallas might cobble together some contracts

Acting as the third team in a Dame trade, à la Cleveland in the Harden deal

Acting as the third team in a Gobert deal

Taking on Tobias, whether as a third team or sending Wall to play with his "buddy" James Harden
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#13 » by ontnut » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:19 pm

Man just collected a near 50 million payday to not have to go to work.
It's just insane to think about.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#14 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:38 pm

Yes, there is a market if Houston is wiling to give up a pick. He has negative trade value. The Rockets will just buy him out so he can go to a team of his choice.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#15 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:56 pm

dlts20 wrote:

GrindCityHustle wrote:

Wall wanted to play also. Trust me, Westbrook will not play a single minute in Houston.

It doesn't make sense for LAL anyway. His skill set (if he can remain healthy) is similar to Westbrook's. He doesn't do anything off-ball and the Lakers should still want the ball in Lebron's hands. And he can't shoot. Unless Lebron decides it's time to be the roll man, that trade would not help the Lakers. And if Lebron does decide to be the roll man, Westbrook is still better than Wall and his health is far more reliable.

Bottom line: If Lebron wants someone to take on the PG duties than he needs to do more than stand and watch that player work. He needs to actually play like a PF. If he isn't going to do that than what use is any PG that can't shoot? The Lakers need a SG, not a PG. Or a Derek Fisher type PG; one that can take the ball up court, defend and hit an open 3pt. That's a $5m player not a $50m player.
nguyen925
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#16 » by nguyen925 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:08 pm

Not sure what was more horrible, the Rockets trading for Westbrook or the Rocked trading for John Wall.

He's a decent player who can command the offense well WHEN he can play on the court. He's like Anthony Davis, as in He's an injury away from sitting stretches of games on the bench. (No where near the impactful player on offense and or defense, with respect to how dominant Anthony Davis can be)

If the Rockets wanted to up John Walls trade value they should have played him but significantly managed his playing time. You can't really reduce Walls salary but you can prove to other teams that maybe Wall can play more than 40 games a season. Regardless the Rockets don't really have a core group that yields any sort of success yet. Maybe in a few years but might as well live in the draft now .
dlts20
RealGM

Post#17 » by dlts20 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:38 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
dlts20 wrote:

It doesn't make sense for LAL anyway. His skill set (if he can remain healthy) is similar to Westbrook's. He doesn't do anything off-ball and the Lakers should still want the ball in Lebron's hands. And he can't shoot. Unless Lebron decides it's time to be the roll man, that trade would not help the Lakers. And if Lebron does decide to be the roll man, Westbrook is still better than Wall and his health is far more reliable.

Bottom line: If Lebron wants someone to take on the PG duties than he needs to do more than stand and watch that player work. He needs to actually play like a PF. If he isn't going to do that than what use is any PG that can't shoot? The Lakers need a SG, not a PG. Or a Derek Fisher type PG; one that can take the ball up court, defend and hit an open 3pt. That's a $5m player not a $50m player.

Well that's where I am in the minority. I still believe that wall can be a high level PG and he is a much better pure PG and playmaker than Westbrook. I also think that he is a better spot up shooter than Russ with a higher bball iq
No doubt in my mind that they would have made the playoffs with Wall. Houston doesn't demand their guys to set picks so it basically turned Wall into a iso player. He would look great in the p&r with Davis, Howard, etc
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#18 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:31 pm

dlts20 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
dlts20 wrote:Wall wanted to play also. Trust me, Westbrook will not play a single minute in Houston.

Well that's where I am in the minority. I still believe that wall can be a high level PG and he is a much better pure PG and playmaker than Westbrook. I also think that he is a better spot up shooter than Russ with a higher bball iq
No doubt in my mind that they would have made the playoffs with Wall. Houston doesn't demand their guys to set picks so it basically turned Wall into a iso player. He would look great in the p&r with Davis, Howard, etc

the numbers say otherwise, in eFG%, TS% and games played. And unless Wall is better on ball than Lebron it doesn't matter because Lebron will be the one with the ball in his hands. Wall is a great true PG, but that isn't what LAL needs.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,717

Post#19 » by the_process » Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:03 pm

Philadelphia could do something around Harris and Green for Wall and Wood.

Return to Wiretap Discussion